5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change (PUP & Mopar OEM or Mopar SRT Filter???)

JJameSS

Reaction score
Sooo I am close to 1,500 miles now and want to change my oil prior to 2k. I have narrowed my oil down to PUP and trying to decide between the stock filter (MO-339) or the SRT one (05038041AA). I was initially looking at RP but come to find out they no longer make their own filters anymore and are outsourcing them now and also just got recently bought out again...sooo decided just to stick with Mopar. It seems the SRT filter works but its an extremely tight fit because its a tad bigger than the OEM. I believe also the SRT holds more oil and would require 7.5 qts. vs. the OEM 7 qts. I just plan on changing my oil every 5k miles so I believe the original Mopar should be fine unless the SRT is significantly better? Thoughts?

Also was looking at the Fram Ultra / Napa Plat. as a runners up?

2021 5.7 Ram Laramie 1500 ETorque

Last edited:

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SRT filter is much better than a regular Mopar filter. I use a SRT filter and just do the normal 7 quarts

JJameSS

Reaction score
SRT filter is much better than a regular Mopar filter. I use a SRT filter and just do the normal 7 quarts
This exact filter... (05038041AA)? No problems when checking levels or clearance when putting it on your 2020? Also looks like Amazon might be selling knock offs of these? Rock Auto maybe a better supplier?

jth877

Reaction score
I often had the cold start tick that sounded horrible with oem oil and mo339. I used M1 and a mo339 filter for the first change. It was better, but not much. 3rd and current change i went with shell Rotella gas truck oil and a wix. Much better. No tick now. I usually always use oem filters but in this case I believe it was the cause of the ticking.

I haven't read up too much on mopar filters other than they are decent. I don't spend too much time on Bob's the oil guy to have a definite answer. I would be hesitant using high filtration filters. Besides the hype and high cost they can cause oil starvation on start up and increase oil pressure.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned while under warranty I use the Mopar filter. Zero chance of it biting me if warranty or giving me red tape to swim through if they want to make it hard for me.

I haven't tried PUP myself, but pretty happy with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20. Full synthetic, great price for the gallon, well reviewed, no stupid foil seal cap to deal with, there is even a 5th gen RAM on the front label :)

U

User_3336

As mentioned while under warranty I use the Mopar filter. Zero chance of it biting me if warranty or giving me red tape to swim through if they want to make it hard for me.

I haven't tried PUP myself, but pretty happy with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20. Full synthetic, great price for the gallon, well reviewed, no stupid foil seal cap to deal with, there is even a 5th gen RAM on the front label :)
Walmart just had a promotion for the Mobil 1 Extended Protection Full Synthetic for $23.37, and a $30 rebate on 2. that's the cheapest oil I ever bought. Ended Sept though.

$46.74 - 30 = That's $8.37 for a 5 qt jug.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Walmart just had a promotion for the Mobil 1 Extended Protection Full Synthetic for $23.37, and a $30 rebate on 2. that's the cheapest oil I ever bought. Ended Sept though.

$46.74 - 30 = That's $8.37 for a 5 qt jug.

Wow, that's quite the deal!

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I purchased a case of the MO-339 Mopar factory filters from Rock Auto. I think this is a wise choice because it’s what is recommended for Ram, fits properly in the tight Hemi space, fairly priced and looked very good when cut open and inspected.

For oil I purchased the Chrysler recommended MS-6359 from Havoline in 0w20 as stated in the owners manual. Walmart carries this with free shipping on their website in both 0w and 5w20. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-...VkI7ICh3_WALTEAQYAiABEgL6r_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Everyone basically do full synthetic?

Yup, the price point makes it very affordable these days. Also, the Hemi gets really hot when towing, up to 285F oil temps in some cases, and synthetic can easily go 450F or higher, whereas conventional oil typically maxes out at 250-300F.

For just a few bucks more per gallon, it makes no sense not to go synthetic.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This exact filter... (05038041AA)? No problems when checking levels or clearance when putting it on your 2020? Also looks like Amazon might be selling knock offs of these? Rock Auto maybe a better supplier?
This exact filter with zero issues. Ordered it from summit racing.

JJameSS

Reaction score
This exact filter with zero issues. Ordered it from summit racing.
Ok looks like this SRT filter or the Wix XP... does anyone know if the internals are better on one over the other for PUP oil?

Users who are viewing this thread