5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Drive Impressions

anthtony

Reaction score
Hi Gang - recently joined the forums and am enjoying all the info I'm finding on the site!

I have never owned a FCA product, and frankly never thought I'd be interested in one. My first vehicle was a 1979 Chevy Silverado, and having come from a family that always bought GM (Grandfather worked for GM), it was never a thought to buy a different American vehicle. That changed yesterday!

A couple days ago I test drove the new 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500. I left the test drive feeling indifferent. The truck was very handsome, but the interior was nowhere near what I expected for a 67k truck. The drive was very "bouncy" and I just didn't feel connected to the road. I had been eying the new Ram for quite a while but figured I'd end up falling in love with the new Silverado or Sierra and the 'itch' to explore the Ram would fade. Yesterday I decided to go to a dealer and really take a look at the truck and take it for a spin. I test drove the model I would be interested in (Limited 4X4 with Indigo Frost interior). What a truck!!!! Absolutely love the way it drove (especially compared to the GMC), the interior was nicer than my BMW 3 series (no joke), and the overall impression was just "wow".

One question I do have is regarding the 12" touch screen. For those who have it, do you generally like it? I ask because I have also seen several threads where folks have had issues with it (sounds like software but perhaps not in all cases?). From an overall reliability standpoint I am assuming most of you are happy with your decision in going with a new model year?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Tony

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Gang - recently joined the forums and am enjoying all the info I'm finding on the site!

I have never owned a FCA product, and frankly never thought I'd be interested in one. My first vehicle was a 1979 Chevy Silverado, and having come from a family that always bought GM (Grandfather worked for GM), it was never a thought to buy a different American vehicle. That changed yesterday!

A couple days ago I test drove the new 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500. I left the test drive feeling indifferent. The truck was very handsome, but the interior was nowhere near what I expected for a 67k truck. The drive was very "bouncy" and I just didn't feel connected to the road. I had been eying the new Ram for quite a while but figured I'd end up falling in love with the new Silverado or Sierra and the 'itch' to explore the Ram would fade. Yesterday I decided to go to a dealer and really take a look at the truck and take it for a spin. I test drove the model I would be interested in (Limited 4X4 with Indigo Frost interior). What a truck!!!! Absolutely love the way it drove (especially compared to the GMC), the interior was nicer than my BMW 3 series (no joke), and the overall impression was just "wow".

One question I do have is regarding the 12" touch screen. For those who have it, do you generally like it? I ask because I have also seen several threads where folks have had issues with it (sounds like software but perhaps not in all cases?). From an overall reliability standpoint I am assuming most of you are happy with your decision in going with a new model year?

Tony
Welcome @anthtony Tony! This will be my first Ram truck as well (when it eventually arrives), but you are right it compares very well against the competition. Everybody comes at the purchase with different priorities, so read up, drive, and decide based on yours.

Regarding new model year concerns, as always it is a balance between new features versus immediate problems and long term reliability. There are concerns with the new model so I recommend searching and reading more (here’s a good place to start: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how’s-your-2019-ram-running-take-our-poll.1017/)... the good news is some will be easy fixes, and others seem to have Ram’s attention so we are all HOPEFUL that they will sort those problems out this year vs next! Hope isn’t certainty though, so there is some risk.

My recommendation if you love the new model would be to read up on the most common new model problems, and look over/test drive your new truck very carefully watching out for those problems BEFORE driving it off the lot and taking ownership. Get service to fix any discrepancies BEFORE you drive it off the lot. Dealerships will often tire you out with paperwork hoping you’ll just take the truck and run. Just tell them you’ll come back the next day for a detailed test drive if they take too long. Make sense? Welcome again!

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Tony
Hi. Welcome and congrats. I drove a 19 Silverado after seeing one and can second your comments.

The 12 inch screen is much improved after an update. A quick way to know if yours was updated is on the full screen navigation screen look at the top search bar. If it says "Online Search" you need an update. There will be future updates. The little things will get ironed out it is literally at version 1. So things will improve. Honestly after the update its been much better and there are still little quirks but overall better.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Tony,

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I too have avoided FCA for years and was in a similar situation of ready to buy a Sierra 1500 Z71. Had it all picked out dealer had the paperwork ready to sign but it just wasn’t enough of an upgrade to what I had (2015 GMC SLT Z71) to make the leap so I slow rolled it. My wife had recommended, more than a couple times, that we should look at the new Ram so with my mind made up that it “ain’t gonna happen”, we went. When we walked up to one I was like yeah, looks pretty nice (honestly wasn’t even paying much attention), it was when the salesman started it is when it first grabbed my attention. Wow, a truck that sounds like a truck and not something trying to sound like a Toyota Yaris or something. I started looking closer and holy crap, this thing is nice! A feast drive and I was done, the ride was 1000% better than the GMC, the styling and appointment was great, and it drove really, really good. Went home and couldn’t stop thinking about how much better it was than my 15 where the new Sierra was like walking from one room to another, more of the same. So that triggered research and finding the truck with the options I wanted. Two days later I was a 2019 Ram owner. A month into ownership, any regrets? Nope not one, should I have studied up on options a bit more, probably but I’m still 100% happy.

I don’t have the 12” screen, I didn’t see this as an option I needed or wanted so I can’t speak to that one. The advice I can give is that I think every one of us on here has had some sort of issue, some are having issues (meaning several). Mine was the center cluster going out, dealer replaced it and no issues since. Buying a new model year I think you have to expect to be FCA’s beta tester and expect things to happen so buying from a dealer with a good service department is a thought. Like YoAdrian recommended above, read the forum posts and see what issues are more prevelant than others and Go from there.

What I can tell you that surprised me coming from a GMC was undercoating. Seems pretty trivial but since my prior trucks all came with it from the factory I never even thought about it and didn’t even notice when I looked underneath at the dealer. That’s one thing living in salt infested areas that is a must IMO so I’ll be visiting a vendor before the season hits.

Take your time and pick out the “one”, I’m certainly not disappointed and doubt you would be either.

RT70808

Reaction score
I had the 8.4 in my Charger and Grand Cherokee, If the limited had a 8.4 it would have been fine. The 12” wows everyone but the reality is you should be spending more time driving that fidgeting on the screen. I will say full screen navigation is great in unfamiliar territory, I can’t wait for iOS 12 and Waze. ( which will probably require a uConnect update after iOS 12 is released) Mine has had some random reboots that seem like system crashes, but updates will come and I’m not worried about it.
So the short answer - yes I’m happy with the 12”
Am I worried about the early gremlins - No

Ramajama

Reaction score
WELCOME!

You’re right, the high end trim RAMs rival or surpass many of the interior appointments and features of the Euro Marquee brands. RAM is bringing in a lot of new owners to the brand, my buddy just traded off his Tahoe and bought a new Limited. NEVER thought he’d buy a FCA product.

RAM has had PLENTY of time to build and engineer this vehicle. As a long time, trouble free RAM owner, I find it disappointing and unacceptable that they have any issues in the new truck. The issues with the UConnect system seems to stem from them changing to a different operating system. The latest UConnect is simply awesome but some people find it glitchy. I have the same system (8.4 4C) in my 18 Power Wagon. It hasn’t been too glitchy but Ive encountered a few minor issues. It’s all been resolved and was nothing major. Knock wood.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, RAM has everything invested in this truck. They WILL get the minor new model niggles sorted, they have to.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only "issue" I'm having with my 12" screen is that it won't keep the top card/half in split screen saved. I need to pick the function I want from the menu every time I start the truck. Just an annoyance that appears to be solved with the over the air update that I haven't gotten yet.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only "issue" I'm having with my 12" screen is that it won't keep the top card/half in split screen saved. I need to pick the function I want from the menu every time I start the truck. Just an annoyance that appears to be solved with the over the air update that I haven't gotten yet.
Same thing happens to mine too.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I haven’t had as many issues with the 12” screen as many have, but I do have the steering clunk that has no fix, an oil leak and the unevenly lit gauge cluster. My opinion of this truck so far is that it’s a dog. I’ll be talking to the dealer at my service appointment tomorrow about buyback options and am going to try to get into a 2500. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ramajama

Reaction score
I haven’t had as many issues with the 12” screen as many have, but I do have the steering clunk that has no fix, an oil leak and the unevenly lit gauge cluster. My opinion of this truck so far is that it’s a dog. I’ll be talking to the dealer at my service appointment tomorrow about buyback options and am going to try to get into a 2500HD. Good luck.

Chevy?

Tommy

Reaction score

Tony

Really enjoy my Laramie so far. Have had it for a week now. Still assessing etorque mated to my hemi. Not up to the gas mileage I am looking for yet - so far about 19 combined. As for the 12 inch screen, there's so many features, I'm still figuring it out. Not as intuitive as I'd like. Have to hunt around to get to the stuff I'm looking for, especially nav. Some settings don't seem to persist. For now I'm going to assume my issues are me and not the device. More to follow.

Ramajama

Reaction score
Really enjoy my Laramie so far. Have had it for a week now. Still assessing etorque mated to my hemi. Not up to the gas mileage I am looking for yet - so far about 19 combined. As for the 12 inch screen, there's so many features, I'm still figuring it out. Not as intuitive as I'd like. Have to hunt around to get to the stuff I'm looking for, especially nav. Some settings don't seem to persist. For now I'm going to assume my issues are me and not the device. More to follow.

If you’re getting a solid 19 mpg hand calculated now, you probably won’t get much better.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t had as many issues with the 12” screen as many have, but I do have the steering clunk that has no fix, an oil leak and the unevenly lit gauge cluster. My opinion of this truck so far is that it’s a dog. I’ll be talking to the dealer at my service appointment tomorrow about buyback options and am going to try to get into a 2500. Good luck.
@immersivenc good plan. What month was that truck built out of curiosity? I understand build date is printed on one of the door stickers, let me see if I can find an example. There’s “Date of MFR (Built)” and a MDH number to the right (month day hour?).
10587241-A743-4B1F-82F6-64F97DA9967B.jpeg

GM convert

Reaction score
Big screen. Yes, love it. 10,000 miles only complaint is the brake squeak.

Users who are viewing this thread