5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 trade for 21

Hiimkyle70

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 19 1500 bighorn with the heated seats/ steering etc. I’ve had a bunch of small issues with it such as electronics and sensors. I would like to get rid of it before the warranty is up and I have about 6000 more miles. Did the 2020 model get rid of a lot of issues from the 19? If so I could assume that the late 2020’s or 2021’s that are available will be more reliable than my current truck.I’d like to not buy another new truck if nothing has been rectified.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The newer trucks do seem better from what I've read, though I'm relatively new to RAM. You could wait until 2022 MY for the UConnect 5. The rest of the truck should be the same, with even more of the kinks worked out. They supposedly have a fix now for the bad AC performance as of August 1st builds. My truck was built August 10, but I haven't had to really try the AC since I bought it the last day of Sept.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific on which issues you're wondering about? It's common for a manufacturer to make small improvements over time based on enough customer complaints. And it's very possible that you're just having to deal with the "normal" issue that can happen with the first year of a major redesign. FCA isn't very forthcoming with details about issues that they've fixed, other than safety issues they've issued recalls over. It's likely that a 2021 will have fewer of the issues that your 2019 has, but there's no way to know for sure that some of these fixes didn't break something else. Especially any software fixes. In the end it's always a crap shoot. The best way to protect yourself is to find a dealership that has a good reputation, and rely on them to fix any issues that might come up while you're covered under the factory warranty.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did this actually and traded my 2019 bighorn in on a 2021 Laramie. I did not have very many issues on the electronic/sensors end. The issues I dealt with the most were brake squeaks, moans, groans that were all addressed eventually. This took multiple visits, multiple TSB's and eventually replacing the entire lot of calipers and pads. The only electrical issue I had was my media hub went out and that had to be replaced. My 2021 Laramie has 500 issue free miles (not many, I know). I had not had one issue as of yet. I have also noticed they added additional weather stripping on the top of the 3rd brake light, the rear window frame is different (I can't see stressed areas leading to cracks as 2019-2020 models have), and they have also added PPF film on the front of the rear fenders as those were getting chewed up by road debris on 2019-2020 models. Even though I reupped and bought a 21 with hopefully less issues I decided to get an extended warranty on this truck as it has more tech than my bighorn did.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 19 1500 bighorn with the heated seats/ steering etc. I’ve had a bunch of small issues with it such as electronics and sensors. I would like to get rid of it before the warranty is up and I have about 6000 more miles. Did the 2020 model get rid of a lot of issues from the 19? If so I could assume that the late 2020’s or 2021’s that are available will be more reliable than my current truck.I’d like to not buy another new truck if nothing has been rectified.

Your bumper to bumper warranty or your powertrain warranty that ends at 5 years / 60K? Either way, I would wait, because a mid-cycle refresh is happing soon, a 2021 except for a few minor electronic add-on options is the same as a 2019. Also, you will be getting a "Covid" truck, build in a time of various uncertainties at the factory, weird shifts, etc. Not sure if I would trust one of those either.

My 2019 truck has been flawless, smooth shifting powertrain, very cold A/C, no weird noises or vibration, great build quality, it was built in 1/19, so it's just the luck of the draw how each will do. If you still have your powertrain warranty, which will protect you from big ticket warranty issues, I would simply hold on to it until the refresh trucks come out soon.

Hiimkyle70

Reaction score
Your bumper to bumper warranty or your powertrain warranty that ends at 5 years / 60K? Either way, I would wait, because a mid-cycle refresh is happing soon, a 2021 except for a few minor electronic add-on options is the same as a 2019. Also, you will be getting a "Covid" truck, build in a time of various uncertainties at the factory, weird shifts, etc. Not sure if I would trust one of those either.

My 2019 truck has been flawless, smooth shifting powertrain, very cold A/C, no weird noises or vibration, great build quality, it was built in 1/19, so it's just the luck of the draw how each will do. If you still have your powertrain warranty, which will protect you from big ticket warranty issues, I would simply hold on to it until the refresh trucks come out soon.
The bumper to bumper at 36k

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The bumper to bumper at 36k

Then hold on for another year or so, you are at least covered on the powertrain side. No point in getting the same truck again, wait until the refresh. Or switch brands, the Silverado will have a revised interior for 2022 and the new F150 is coming out.

I've been lucky in that my first year purchases (totally new design for that model year) have been essentially flawless. But buying something later doesn't necessary protect you from any issues as we have seen on this very site.

Users who are viewing this thread