5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Ram Computer Controlled Exhaust Cutout

Reaction score
OK, open exhaust sounds amazing on these trucks. I've been a little hard on the throttle the past few days because of an exhaust controller I made. I started fooling with CANBus networks a few years ago and have since created a controller that performs an output based off the programmed information. In this case I located the byte that shows wide open throttle and it opens my exhaust. I purchased a Borla resonator delete pipe ($200) and a Hooker Header toggle switch cutout kit( 11057HKR $200) that included the turn down. After some welding and coding I have a NASCAR Truck. I've been using it for about a week now and have had 2 Ram owners go out of their way to follow me and ask what I did to my truck. The Hemi sounds incredible. Video sound just doesn't do it justice. Just wanted to share, video linked below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've added some new features and would like to hear some opinions. After looking into the buttons that all models have, I found some data on buttons I think would work for ultimate control.

1. Full throttle opens exhaust cutout and holds until wide open is let off. If momentary full is seen the valve does a full open and close. Time is about 9 seconds.
2. Holding left menu button on steering wheel for 3 seconds opens exhaust until it's held again for 3 seconds.
3. Tapping right menu button disables exhaust opening with another tap putting it back into normal state of working with throttle.

What does everyone think of this being your exhaust control? What type of cutouts is everyone using?

Reaction score
I've added steering wheel control functionality to my cutout controller. One button disables the cutout valve and another keeps it open all the time. Once it returns to a normal state it goes back to working off of full throttle. Enjoy

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice work! I’ll throw this out to you but have you looked into the Dodge Hellcat community? The reason I say this is we are stuck with factory exhaust valves that nobody has figured out how to manipulate except for crude bolt on solutions.

If you can control these stock valves people will glad give you money!

sorry to go off topic

Reaction score
Nice work! I’ll throw this out to you but have you looked into the Dodge Hellcat community? The reason I say this is we are stuck with factory exhaust valves that nobody has figured out how to manipulate except for crude bolt on solutions.

If you can control these stock valves people will glad give you money!

sorry to go off topic
Pretty sure that wouldn't be any issue to configure. Just need the car for the first one. Welcome to have anyone contact me if they're local. I'm a little north of Atlanta and have a shop called Atlanta Speedometer. (770)831-8802

Reaction score
Are you developing a whole package kit for us DIYers to use?
I am. The valve connections all seem to be pretty similar between manufacturers. I have a little more work on the output PCB, but should have something that is universal within the next few months. After that it would just need to be coded for the various models, but the 5th Gen Rams will all be the same code as my prototype.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
are you using an Arduino with a canbus shield? I'm very interested in canbus hacking type stuff.
*edited..watched your video...very informative

Reaction score
are you using an Arduino with a canbus shield? I'm very interested in canbus hacking type stuff.
*edited..watched your video...very informative
I am using an Arduino, but the PCB attached to it is one that I manufacturer for use on other stuff. I did start with the CANShield before I made my own PCBs.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know when we can buy the controller. In the mean time, I'm getting the pipe and valve parts, so I'm ready!

Reaction score
Let us know when we can buy the controller. In the mean time, I'm getting the pipe and valve parts, so I'm ready!
Sounds good. I'll keep everyone posted on the forum. Anyone that wants to be notified about the controller release, please go to the contact page on my website so I have your contact info when they become available. Thanks for all of the great input everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread