5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19' RAM 5.7L BLUE SMOKE AT 2K MILES

bneutzler

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a big deal or not. This ram is a 19' with 1986 miles. I started it up today after having sat for several hours in about 50 degree weather on the driveway and a small cloud of blue smoke came out of the rear exhaust. I would expect older trucks to do this from time to time as valve seals age. My chevy does this occasionally. Is this something any of y'all would bother taking in to the dealership ? Again, I have only seen it happen once but I wasn't looking for it until now. what do y'all think ? Big deal or not ?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Maybe a bit of oil seeping past the seal into the cylinder.

Keep and eye on it and check your oil levels routinely. I wouldn’t be worried over all though it can be concerning. If it becomes a problem document it and bring it to the dealers attention. However, unless you have an outstanding dealer that you trust to be pulling things apart I would probably live with it personally.

Not the answer you may want but it’s the answer I have given the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram92131

Reaction score
my 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L does this from time to time and has since new. Never been an issue and I'm at 116k miles now.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some engines are known for allowing oil to seep into the cylinder and puff smoke on startup. BMW K1200RS 4 cylinders were particularly bad. They rolled white/blue smoke for literally a few minutes until it all burned off and did that their whole life.

Hemi's, on the other hand, aren't known for puffing smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread