5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Ram 5.7 engine using too much oil. Ended up getting new engine under warranty due to a ring and piston issue. Alls well now

odb

Reaction score
2019 Laramie here. It has 8200 miles on it, and I had my first change at around 3500 miles. Checked the oil today out of curiosity, and there's barely anything on the stick. Sigh, I had this issue with my damn 2006 G35 Sedan with the six speed manual. It would burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. They had to replace the long block on it. Please no... not again!

My 2014 Tundra.. Replaced windshield wipers, and tires. Traded it with everything else OEM after five years.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Laramie here. It has 8200 miles on it, and I had my first change at around 3500 miles. Checked the oil today out of curiosity, and there's barely anything on the stick. Sigh, I had this issue with my damn 2006 G35 Sedan with the six speed manual. It would burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. They had to replace the long block on it. Please no... not again!

My 2014 Tundra.. Replaced windshield wipers, and tires. Traded it with everything else OEM after five years.
Did you verify that it was full after the oil change? Could have been low all along.

odb

Reaction score
Did you verify that it was full after the oil change? Could have been low all along.
That I did not. I'm going to get some oil tomorrow to put in it, then headed to the dealer for the oil change I already paid for. (second)

I will for sure be checking from now on. This is my first service, and I guess I need to follow up on their work. The Toyota dealership never had issues, but I guess they weren't slammed with problem vehicles like the other dealers are. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this truck, but I knew what I signed up for... ;)

odb

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not doing **** to it. I'm taking it as is Monday for an oil change, and I want them to see what I saw.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not doing **** to it. I'm taking it as is Monday for an oil change, and I want them to see what I saw.

Not a good idea to drive around with low oil, if the oil level is below the min mark (first dot) highly advisable to raise it before driving again.

Just note, if you checked the oil level after starting the truck but not allowing it to get up to temperature, you may not get an accurate oil level, it may show lower than actual. Check again in the morning after sitting overnight and/or after getting the oil up to temp and waiting 5 minutes after stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread