5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Ram 1500 ball joint failure

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Years ago, I had a Lower Ball Joint separate on my VW Baja Bug. I was able to
drive it home (2Miles) it would make a right turn fine, but to turn left, it was
like a Supertanker's turn rate. Went to a parts place, they were sold out. Went
to another place they wanted $32 each. I have bought them before and this is
a $9 Part. I asked the Counter Guy "If this was a Sunday Afternoon need it price?"

I ordered the four set of ball joints out of CA for $49 total WITH 2 day Shipping.
Replaced the and all was great again in this world.

Malodave

Jzales84

Reaction score
drive it home (2Miles) it would make a right turn fine, but to turn left, it was
a $9 Part. I asked the Counter Guy "If this was a Sunday Afternoon need it price?"

I ordered the four set of ball joints out of CA for $49 total WITH 2 day Shipping.

Malodave
Thats not bad at all. The balljoints on these trucks are not serviceable and the whole control arm has to be replaced. It would be close to $1,000 just in parts to replace what was damaged.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got a call from the dealer today. Truck is fixed mechanically but they still have not made a decision on what to do with the wheel and would like me to return the rental. I do not feel safe driving on this wheel that had the full the weight of the truck on the face of it. Is there a way to talk to someone about this other than the dealer?
Make sure they replaced the severly stretched brake line - that’s a tragedy waiting to happen...

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Malodave
What year VW was it? Long time ago, I turned my ‘71 Superbeetle into one (I know, not the best model to choose, but it’s what I had)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What year VW was it? Long time ago, I turned my ‘71 Superbeetle into one (I know, not the best model to choose, but it’s what I had)
It was a '70 Bug with 14" of ground clearance. 31" x 11.50" rear tires. A built 2024cc
engine. Body lift, Suspension lift, etc.

Malodave

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Finally got a call from the dealer today. Truck is fixed mechanically but they still have not made a decision on what to do with the wheel and would like me to return the rental. I do not feel safe driving on this wheel that had the full the weight of the truck on the face of it. Is there a way to talk to someone about this other than the dealer?

There's no safety issue with the wheel, it should however be replaced because a failed part caused damage to it albeit cosmetic but that's not relevant. The wheel should have been replaced

Jzales84

Reaction score
There's no safety issue with the wheel, it should however be replaced because a failed part caused damage to it albeit cosmetic but that's not relevant. The wheel should have been replaced
I did make a call to Ram corporate and they handled it within a hour and covered the wheel. The dealer I think was just giving me a load of bs.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did make a call to Ram corporate and they handled it within a hour and covered the wheel. The dealer I think was just giving me a load of bs.
Who at Corporate did you contact?

Jzales84

Reaction score
Who at Corporate did you contact?
No one specific, I just called the Ram customer service 1800 number and they reached out to the dealer on my behalf and got it done.

Reactions: cj7

rossn2

Reaction score
My truck is 100% stock. Kind of scary, just glad it happened when it did and not at a higher speed. I could definitely see a modified suspension causing them to pop out like that.
Highly suggest you get Motor Vehicle Department for your state to send an Inspector out to review your truck. This may be an issue and Ram needs to do a recall to inspect 2019 trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread