5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Ram 1500 ball joint failure

Jzales84

Reaction score
While turning left out of my work parking lot today my passenger front wheel and hub assembly basically fell off my truck. Truck is a 2019 Laramie with air suspension and 30k. Has anyone seen this before? Truck is at dealership now but they haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Attachments

• 20210708_140304.jpg
    20210708_140304.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 20210708_144027.jpg
    20210708_144027.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 284

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's pretty scary stuff. I'm glad it happened when you were going slow. I haven't seen a ball joint fail like that, but a few months ago someone posted up about the nut coming off either a ball joint or tie rod end. Fortunately theirs also failed at low speed.

Jzales84

Reaction score
My truck is 100% stock. Kind of scary, just glad it happened when it did and not at a higher speed. I could definitely see a modified suspension causing them to pop out like that.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like there are rust stains at the upper ball joint, may have been cracked for a while before letting go

Jzales84

Reaction score
I had the truck at the dealer about 10k miles ago to diagnose a clunk and wandering steering from the front suspension. They performed an alignment and said everything else looked good. Clunk never went away, I now know it was the ball joint the whole time. The dealer is certainly trying hard not to cover it even though I'm still under my 36k warranty.

Scram1500

Reaction score
You would think they'd be kissing your ***, maybe if the truck killed you they would take you more seriously

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do remember at least one other instance of this happening, truck had many fewer miles and they were turning into or in a parking lot IIRC.
With the millions of parts that are produced every year there's always bound to be some bad parts that make it out the door...

ShortStack

Reaction score
So get the keys back by saying you want to test drive it before you accept delivery. Then tell them it is okay -- while you are on your way home -- and have them
file the paper work for drive train failure. That has 5yr 60k and that is drive train failure since it supports the wheels.
Also, they are responsible for not properly diagnosing the original issue. My son's CR-V was making the same clunk noise and I replaced the half shaft and the steering
knuckle. Any B-Tech should have know right away. But at 30K miles ?? Wow.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would first suspect the ball joint was not properly greased, or had no grease when it was made. The rust stains could also indicate the boot on the ball joint failed or was improperly installed allowing water/moisture in.

I'm thinking this would be covered under the 3 year/36 month warranty.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 05304463 miles.

Jzales84

Reaction score
Well just went to the dealer to get some stuff out of my truck I needed for work. Since I swapped my oem 22" laramie sport wheels that were sliver for the oem 22" black laramie night wheels they are telling me that Ram may not cover my entire claim, and if they do then the messed up wheel may be my responsibility. The literal only difference is the color... this is ridiculous and if it the claim is denied for that it will be the last Chrysler product I purchase.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well just went to the dealer to get some stuff out of my truck I needed for work. Since I swapped my oem 22" laramie sport wheels that were sliver for the oem 22" black laramie night wheels they are telling me that Ram may not cover my entire claim, and if they do then the messed up wheel may be my responsibility. The literal only difference is the color... this is ridiculous and if it the claim is denied for that it will be the last Chrysler product I purchase.
I can see them covering all parts replacement and labor for the ball joint, but deny replacing the wheel. At best I can see them replacing it with a OEM 22" Laramie Sport wheel that the truck came with. I can't see them providing you with a new OEM 22" Laramie Night wheel since your VIN doesn't show those wheels. I'm not saying I agree with that if that's what ends up happening. Just what I predict will happen. Now it would be a different story if your dealership was the one who did the wheel swap. In that case they would be responsible for replacement of the wheel. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't see why they would cover the wheel since it didn't come with it from the factory. Factory warranties only cover factory parts. I doubt any other manufacturer would do the same.

Jzales84

Reaction score
I can see them covering all parts replacement and labor for the ball joint, but deny replacing the wheel. At best I can see them replacing it with a OEM 22" Laramie Sport wheel that the truck came with. I can't see them providing you with a new OEM 22" Laramie Night wheel since your VIN doesn't show those wheels. I'm not saying I agree with that if that's what ends up happening. Just what I predict will happen. Now it would be a different story if your dealership was the one who did the wheel swap. In that case they would be responsible for replacement of the wheel. I'm crossing my fingers for you.
I get that but its an oem wheel for an oem wheel. I could see if the ones I put on the truck were more expensive or something in which case I would not mind
I don't see why they would cover the wheel since it didn't come with it from the factory. Factory warranties only cover factory parts. I doubt any other manufacturer would do the same.
Understood, I would expect a credit for the factory wheel cost. I have no problem paying the difference if the black ones are more money.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get that but its an oem wheel for an oem wheel. I could see if the ones I put on the truck were more expensive or something in which case I would not mind
I think you might want to approach this from a different angle. The thing I would push is that the damage to the wheel was a direct result of a covered part (ball joint). I would expect them to be responsible for the cost of replacing the wheel. To me it's no different than if you had installed aftermarket wheels. The wheels you installed were not the cause of the ball joint failure. The ball joint failure was the cause of all damage to your truck.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you might want to approach this from a different angle. The thing I would push is that the damage to the wheel was a direct result of a covered part (ball joint). I would expect them to be responsible for the cost of replacing the wheel. To me it's no different than if you had installed aftermarket wheels. The wheels you installed were not the cause of the ball joint failure. The ball joint failure was the cause of all damage to your truck.
Mike's opinion is spot on. the only thing that might matter is them asking for proof it's a factory wheel. I'm sure there's a Mopar part number on it, but I'd recommend digging out the receipt anyways.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053727 miles.

vincentw56

Reaction score

Understood, I would expect a credit for the factory wheel cost. I have no problem paying the difference if the black ones are more money.
Yes, I agree. They should give you the cost of it then you could purchase it yourself.

Jzales84

Reaction score
Finally got a call from the dealer today. Truck is fixed mechanically but they still have not made a decision on what to do with the wheel and would like me to return the rental. I do not feel safe driving on this wheel that had the full the weight of the truck on the face of it. Is there a way to talk to someone about this other than the dealer?

ny2az

Reaction score
very fortunate it was not a modified front suspension by either a lift or level ... the claim most definitely would have been denied ... glad to hear there were no injuries and it was a low speed failure ...

Users who are viewing this thread