5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18s or 20s on Rebel?

BB22

Reaction score
2022 Rebel, stock height with factory 8x18s, 275/70/18. I'm wanting to get aftermarket wheels without lifting or modifying the truck. I found wheels with a +12 offset that I like and are available in both 9x18" and 9x20". I'm leaning towards the 9x20s with LT275/60/20 tires. The tire is minimally taller and will move to the outside of the wheel well a little less than 1/2" with the +12 offset and will clear the UCA. Have any of you gone with this setup on a Rebel?

Last edited:

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is your brake calipers. Ram has some massive calipers and some positive offset wheels will be super close or not fit. Not all 18’s are designed the same.

I’d double check with the wheel manufacturer before you pull the trigger.

That said, I miss running 18’s even though I had to babysit the tire techs so they placed the wheel weights properly to clear my brakes.

Running 20’s now and miss the tire:wheel ratio of the 18’s

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+12 or -12? If I'm not mistaken -12 will move the wheel out but +12 will move it in

But to answer your question, I like more tire so 18.
If the RAM Rebel wheels are +19 offset the +12 would move the wheel out because of the smaller offset going towards negative.

I'm a fan of 20's myself. :cool: more like 22's, but between 18/20

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so based on the tire size calculator:

275-60 is actually smaller than the stock 275-70 (33.16 ->32.99"). Width is the same at 10.83"

it looks like stock rebel wheel offset is somewhere between 17-21mm, so the +12mm should be fine since you're keep the width the same and the tire is actually slightly smaller.

anarry

Reaction score
so based on the tire size calculator:

275-60 is actually smaller than the stock 275-70 (33.16 ->32.99"). Width is the same at 10.83"

it looks like stock rebel wheel offset is somewhere between 17-21mm, so the +12mm should be fine since you're keep the width the same and the tire is actually slightly smaller.
I just discovered this site, so sorry I'm late to the conversation. I just picked up a new Ram 1500 Tradesman with 275 65 18's and I'm finding it very difficult to find an aftermarket 18 that will clear the calipers. I was curious if anyone had any experience with this issue and have found an 18 that will actually fit? I was told by a local Dodge dealer that no 18s will fit and that I will have to go to a 20 which I didn't really want to do. I was told by Discount Tire that they had two wheels that would fit but neither did when they put them on! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just discovered this site, so sorry I'm late to the conversation. I just picked up a new Ram 1500 Tradesman with 275 65 18's and I'm finding it very difficult to find an aftermarket 18 that will clear the calipers. I was curious if anyone had any experience with this issue and have found an 18 that will actually fit? I was told by a local Dodge dealer that no 18s will fit and that I will have to go to a 20 which I didn't really want to do. I was told by Discount Tire that they had two wheels that would fit but neither did when they put them on! Any information would be greatly appreciated!
read here contains the exact wheel that I use and how I made it work

the dealer was bsing you. Rebel and TRX comes with stock 18s so that in itself was some bull.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excepting boogielander 😄 (y) , consider the tire choices of 18 and 20. The majority of 275/60R20" are C, P, or SL range tires, but only a couple generals in 275/70R18, the rest being E range. E range ride stiffer and cut mpg, but may tow better and live longer in rocky terrain.

jwtiger69

Reaction score

I just put in methods which are 18x9 with a -12 offset. Tire size is 275/70/18. There are options but it seems to be a small list. Browse the forums and you find what people put on. I also emailed method about the fitment and they told me it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excepting boogielander 😄 (y) , consider the tire choices of 18 and 20. The majority of 275/60R20" are C, P, or SL range tires, but only a couple generals in 275/70R18, the rest being E range. E range ride stiffer and cut mpg, but may tow better and live longer in rocky terrain.
i always recommend smallest wheel possible for more meat on trucks and SUVs.
You get more tire to soak the road imperfections, and you get more room to air down when wheeling without the fear of debeading.

my F ranged AT3W actually rides pretty good (along with my suspension set at right settings) on pavement. Soaks up road imperfections at 40 PSI (technically i'd be fine at 35 but... I run 40 all around so they don't get too low when it gets cold or when elevation changes - yes, it happens).
i don't really care about MPG... between empty (stock) and now (fully built with full overlanding load), I'm only seeing 1MPG difference. And that difference is only for commute. At 33g tank, I can still get 400 miles or so out of the tank with my commute. For highway driving when I'm on trips, I really don't see the difference in consumption at all.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends on the look you are after, but for a Rebel, it looks best on 18".

Honestly, If I could go 17" and get even taller off-road tires, I would go that route, but the calipers make it a no-go. So many nice off-road wheels and tire options in that 17" size for full sizers, though 18" is also very similar in availability.

20", the tire just looks too small for a off-road style trim.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the look you are after, but for a Rebel, it looks best on 18".

Honestly, If I could go 17" and get even taller off-road tires, I would go that route, but the calipers make it a no-go. So many nice off-road wheels and tire options in that 17" size for full sizers, though 18" is also very similar in availability.

20", the tire just looks too small for a off-road style trim.
i was LIVID when i learned our trucks only fit 18 and up because that meant i had to buy new wheels and not use the 17s I had laying around lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i was LIVID when i learned our trucks only fit 18 and up because that meant i had to buy new wheels and not use the 17s I had laying around lol

Lol, I know what you mean. I had a source at the time who could get me the occasional Method wheel/tire set trade-ins, great deals, but almost all of them came on 17" wheels.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
18s any day for me. only reason i kept the 20s on my truck is b.c i was too poor to afford wheels at the time b.c i dont have money like some folks and i have too many expensive hobbies lol. plus... i got the midnight edition, im going to enjoy the blacked out wheels they came with. Once its time to replace tires, ill be putting Method 18s though. As others stated... ( - ) means wheels stick out more. ( + ) means they will hide under/inside the wheel well more.

stevieb92

Reaction score
I've been tossing this (18 or 20) around for awhile now and I don't like the brake caliper issues that come with running non-OEM 18s, even though I would prefer that size. I just don't want to deal with making sure the wheel balance weights get installed at the perfect spot to avoid rubbing the calipers or having to go to inner balance beads. So, I've decided that I'm going with 20s and 295/65R20. That size gives me nearly the same sidewall height (within .1 inch) of the factory 275/70R18, so the ride won't be too much different. I don't plan to do much serious off roading with this truck, so airing down isn't top of my priority list. I applaud RAM for equipping these trucks great brakes (especially compared to my 95 Dodge Ram1500), but it pisses me off they reduced the aftermarket wheel fitment options with 18s.

Tire Size Comparison.png

Jedi9

Reaction score
I was going to go to 18s but after research did the exact route as you, 20" tires with 0 offset running 295/65R20s and have a little over 1" clearance on Rancho UCAs. The tires are centered in the wells and clear all the way around

stevieb92

Reaction score
I was going to go to 18s but after research did the exact route as you, 20" tires with 0 offset running 295/65R20s and have a little over 1" clearance on Rancho UCAs. The tires are centered in the wells and clear all the way around

That's great news to hear! I've got the Eibach Pro-Truck Stage 2R coil overs waiting to get installed along with JBA Offroad UCAs. My planned wheel and tire setup is Fuel Ammo in 20x9 with +1 offset and BFG KO2 in 295/65R20. The mud flaps are the Rek Gen Merica flaps which are only about 1/4 inch thick. I've got my fingers crossed everything works out without trimming in the wheel wells or mud flaps.

Jedi9

Reaction score
You should be right in the sweet spot. I have about 3" of lift in the front but would be good at 2.

jonusko

Reaction score
I really wanted 18s for my 2025 Laramie, but after talking to Custom Offsets this week, that doesn't seem possible. They said the recent 1500s are just too inconsistent with 18s. The same 18" wheel will fit some 1500s but not others, and they no longer recommend any after-market 18 on a new 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread