5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 vs 20 INCH WHEELS......

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
I did a post earlier concerning tire sizes for "stock height". I currently have P275 55r20 and thought about either going to P275 60r20 or changing to 18 inch wheels for a bit more cushion to help ride quality. The 55r20 are very low profile tires. One guy on here was getting the MIchelin LTX Defender M/S in P275 60r20 and told me he would let me know about ride quality, but the only reply I received was "they perform well". That was not enough information for me to make that move. Any thoughts on this as I don't personally care about the BIG WHEEL SYNDROME. I care more about ride quality, mpg, etc. THANKS!!!!!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Bobcat4956,

I am just a rookie in the tire game but will throw in my 2 cents. I went from the stock Nexen HTX 275/55/20's (34.8lbs) to the "retail" version Falken 275/60/20's (47. 8lbs). The retail version Falkens are slighty different than the stock version of the Falkens that come on some of the new 2019 Rams.

(*could not verify that weight on Nexen website-found on another site)

While most info will be according to that person's butt-ometer; I can say that my Falkens being All-Terrain, they felt a bit smoother than stock to me and very little road noise. I had researched the Falkens prior to purchasing my 2019 RAM and had bought them for my old 2000 Dodge/Ram 1500. Keep in mind I transitioned from the all season to all terrain. I have chronic back issues/surgery and leg issues so I didn't want a "rough" ride; I am very happy with truck feel.

TireRack has really good customer based data/charts on ride comfort etc...good place to check out reviews on different tires. Also keep in mind the weight factor going up in tire size see weight info above as that will play a small to large part on your mpg.

Height size---keep this in mind when factoring in your thoughts too. Here is an excellent "comparison" website that I used when researching my tires as I did not want to raise my truck too much from stock. It also gives you the MPH difference at the bottom of the chart when comparing tires.

LINK:

Some food for thought until others chime in!!!

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
Bobcat4956,

I am just a rookie in the tire game but will throw in my 2 cents. I went from the stock Nexen HTX 275/55/20's (34.8lbs) to the "retail" version Falken 275/60/20's (47. 8lbs). The retail version Falkens are slighty different than the stock version of the Falkens that come on some of the new 2019 Rams.

(*could not verify that weight on Nexen website-found on another site)

While most info will be according to that person's butt-ometer; I can say that my Falkens being All-Terrain, they felt a bit smoother than stock to me and very little road noise. I had researched the Falkens prior to purchasing my 2019 RAM and had bought them for my old 2000 Dodge/Ram 1500. Keep in mind I transitioned from the all season to all terrain. I have chronic back issues/surgery and leg issues so I didn't want a "rough" ride; I am very happy with truck feel.

TireRack has really good customer based data/charts on ride comfort etc...good place to check out reviews on different tires. Also keep in mind the weight factor going up in tire size see weight info above as that will play a small to large part on your mpg.

Height size---keep this in mind when factoring in your thoughts too. Here is an excellent "comparison" website that I used when researching my tires as I did not want to raise my truck too much from stock. It also gives you the MPH difference at the bottom of the chart when comparing tires.

View attachment 28777

LINK:

Some food for thought until others chime in!!!
THANK YOU so much for this great information. It helps alot to actually get some in-depth information from someone who has actually upsized like this, even if it is all-terrain you are currently driving on. My first inclination was to just stay with 20 inch wheels and go up a size to the 60r20s. The weight difference between my current Bridgestone Duelers (41 pounds) and the Michelin LTS Defender M/S (42 pounds) is only ONE POUND, so I'm not thinking that would equate too much if ANY of a difference in MPG. I am all about ride quality and low noise. I appreciate your courtesy and help Sir!!!

Reaction score
Did you go with the defenders? I’m interested in getting them and was curious about the noise, ride quality, and mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiplash_77

Reaction score
Has anyone put 275/60R20 Michelin Defenders LTX M+S on their truck with stock suspension? Curious what they look like and ride like. Thanks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have 275/60r20s with 2” level. Ride didn’t change much, but it looks a lot better

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, 18s have more sidewall obviously. This will give better traction (more friction with the surface due to sidewall deflection) and better ride quality. Tires are also far less expensive.

20s on the other hand will have ever so slightly better fuel economy because they are more rigid.

I just went from Laramie painted and polished 20s to Rebel 18s and could not be happier. I also will not run a second set of wheels/tires now because the Goodyears on the Rebel wheels are severe snow rated with the mountain snowflake symbol. That saves me a lot of money as well.

Whiplash_77

Reaction score
I have 275/60r20s with 2” level. Ride didn’t change much, but it looks a lot better
Yeah I'm debating on the leveling kit... I'm getting the tires installed in a week or so.. then going to make the call before I get it aligned whether to put the kit on. It certainly looks better with the leveling kit! Yours is sharp! I would think it would change the shock and spring rates... notice any differences in ride or handling?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm debating on the leveling kit... I'm getting the tires installed in a week or so.. then going to make the call before I get it aligned whether to put the kit on. It certainly looks better with the leveling kit! Yours is sharp! I would think it would change the shock and spring rates... notice any differences in ride or handling?
Thanks. I did the motofab top hat spacers. They go between the outside of the shock and the top mounting point, so theres no preload on the coil springs. The only thing to be aware of the the control arm angle will change slightly, so if you plan on going off road alot, you may want to swap control arms too. So ride and handling is just as good as before. No complaints!

Users who are viewing this thread