5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18% Grades with fully loaded RAM 1500? Stupid or not??

apctjb

Reaction score
Heading down to Baja and friends suggest we take Hwy 2D from Tecate to Mexicali. Supposed to be a beautiful drive but looking on the map noticed a section with lots of switchbacks. I profiled the route and see it looses about 4K in elevation in 15 miles with grades as high as 18%. The truck is going to be fully loaded (like 7800#) so wondering if this route is going to be hard on the brakes. Have never taken the RAM on grades like those before so don't know if I can simply gear down and it will be fine or if I will have to be on the brakes..

Words of advice???

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Heading down to Baja and friends suggest we take Hwy 2D from Tecate to Mexicali. Supposed to be a beautiful drive but looking on the map noticed a section with lots of switchbacks. I profiled the route and see it looses about 4K in elevation in 15 miles with grades as high as 18%. The truck is going to be fully loaded (like 7800#) so wondering if this route is going to be hard on the brakes. Have never taken the RAM on grades like those before so don't know if I can simply gear down and it will be fine or if I will have to be on the brakes..

Words of advice???
trailer or load just in bed?

gear down as best you can to save brakes

Pyleketerson

Reaction score

gear down as best you can to save brakes
I was given some advice one time that resonated with me. Don’t ever gear down to save brakes. Brakes are much cheaper to replace than a transmission.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
having been in transmissions for many years the transmission chrysler now ram use are pretty good at braking.

too each their own i guess.
I’m not in the transmission business. That’s good to know! Thank you. Would you advise downshifting as opposed to braking on these 5th gens?

apctjb

Reaction score

yes, load in just in the bed.

Route options are I-8 and cross at Mexicali or cross at Tecate and 2D to Mexicali; either way that puts you on 5 for the drive south through San Felipe. Driving time is about the same according to Google map. Tecate is supposed to be a less busy port of entry than Mexicali....

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
yes, load in just in the bed.

Route options are I-8 and cross at Mexicali or cross at Tecate and 2D to Mexicali; either way that puts you on 5 for the drive south through San Felipe. Driving time is about the same according to Google map. Tecate is supposed to be a less busy port of entry than Mexicali....
either way you should be fine

have fun

Users who are viewing this thread