5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

175/70r18 with snow chains

Cupped_up

Reaction score
I used the search forum and couldn’t locate an answer for my question so here it is…

I’m in California and don’t see much snow/Ice where I live, therefore am a novice to these road conditions. CA at times enforces mandatory chains (regardless of 4x4 and snow rates tires)… and I’ll be making a trip next week with heavy snow / icy conditions in the forecast…

I have a ‘21 bighorn with off-road package and 275/70r18 cooper at3 xlt tires (snow rated).

If this IS enforced, am I able to put chains on my tires? I’ve read other forums (different tires/wheel sizes) where RAM responded to the poster that they do NOT advise due to clearance issues, but couldn’t find anything for my size tires. Couldn’t locate anything in the manual (obviously my tires are different than stock).

Obviously 4wd will be used but would chains be beneficial in these conditions even if it’s not enforced?

Also, driving in snowy/icy conditions, do you prefer to keep your truck in 4auto or 4high?

Thank you.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in NYS what kind of crazy snow/ice is happening in CA? My Rebel didn't come with 4auto...I drive 2wd in winter until i need the extra traction then I go 4 HI otherwise i would use 4 auto if i had it. My Silverado had 4 auto and I used that in snow all the time and maybe used 4 Hi a handful of times in 3 years.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ive driven in 16 inch high snow with snow tires fine without chains.

I'm really confused how California can enforce chains, even out here where we get snow they can't enforce us to do somtehing like that.
There are times of the year where you are ALLOWED to have studs for example and you will be find'd if you have studs installed on your tire outside the few month's it's allowed.

Just look at your tire and emagine chains on it, turn it all the way in and out.
If you can fit your fist between everything great, if not the chain will hit it, and destroy whatever it makes contact with, just just snap the chain right off and possibly flail around hitting your body if you don't realize.

The only law I can find is Truck Chain Requirements | Caltrans. and it doesn't apply to you assuming you have a 1500, which is not a "heavy duty truck"

Get a set of 4 snow socks and call it a day. Even if you have a heavy duty truck that meats the requirements, and will not damage your truck. There have been some youtube reviews which show they actually work just as good as chains if not better depending on the conditions.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used the search forum and couldn’t locate an answer for my question so here it is…

I’m in California and don’t see much snow/Ice where I live, therefore am a novice to these road conditions. CA at times enforces mandatory chains (regardless of 4x4 and snow rates tires)… and I’ll be making a trip next week with heavy snow / icy conditions in the forecast…

I have a ‘21 bighorn with off-road package and 275/70r18 cooper at3 xlt tires (snow rated).

If this IS enforced, am I able to put chains on my tires? I’ve read other forums (different tires/wheel sizes) where RAM responded to the poster that they do NOT advise due to clearance issues, but couldn’t find anything for my size tires. Couldn’t locate anything in the manual (obviously my tires are different than stock).

Obviously 4wd will be used but would chains be beneficial in these conditions even if it’s not enforced?

Also, driving in snowy/icy conditions, do you prefer to keep your truck in 4auto or 4high?

Thank you.
I'm from Michigan, and no matter how much snow, I have never used chains. Snow is normal here, so although there are people who can't drive in it, most know how, so we don't have those rules. As far as the drive, in winter I will leave it in auto most of the time, but if it is icy, I will switch to full time high. As far as clearance for chains, with ORG you have more height, so you should have clearance as far as height. The only problem I could see, is sidewall clearance. If the chains are thick, they could rub on the inside. If you use strap style, it may give more clearance. You really need to put a set on, and check clearances.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
California, man.

Here Colorado (with real mountains) has Chain restrictions as well, but for passenger vehicles you meet it with 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) rated or true winter tires.

Plus it's not like they are setting up checkpoints to inspect, but rather if you are in an accident or engagement with police and are found not to meet the requirement, then the penalty is extra harsh.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
for the rest of country who wonders why we need snowchain: californians don't know how to drive when the floor is wet, let alone when it's snowing and people would flock to the snow areas to play and create all sorts of shenanigans. lots of time they require snowchains just to deter people from going to play in snow.

for OP: per my personal experience, every time we do snow runs and pass by inspection points, CHP would look at us with all the modified trucks and wave us through. Never got stopped. But for good measure just put a set in your truck in case they ask you to show them you have it. You shouldn't need to put them on though. I have 4Auto and 4Hi and I'd just use 4Hi.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, living in Cali while in military, you were required to have chains in your vehicles, but never required to actually use them. Especially with proper tires. Anytime I had to go through an area with the requirement, I would go to Walmart, buy a set of chainsz or cables, make my drivez then return them back to Walmart,.unused, for a refund

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And for those wondering why they have chain requirements, it's only in the mountain passes, not everywhere.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless the bighorn has a different wheel offset I don’t think they would work. The rebel has 275/70r18 and the manual says it is not chainable.

I don’t think it will hurt anything to be in 4hi for extended periods of time, but with being able to shift on the fly I’ve went hours at highway speeds in and out of 4-hi on a recent trip without issues.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless the bighorn has a different wheel offset I don’t think they would work. The rebel has 275/70r18 and the manual says it is not chainable.

I don’t think it will hurt anything to be in 4hi for extended periods of time, but with being able to shift on the fly I’ve went hours at highway speeds in and out of 4-hi on a recent trip without issues.
I've always wondered about this...is there a speed limit that you shouldn't be in 4Hi? Previous truck had 4auto so I was hardly every in 4Hi unless climbing an incline like a driveway which would be at lower speed by nature.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this...is there a speed limit that you shouldn't be in 4Hi? Previous truck had 4auto so I was hardly every in 4Hi unless climbing an incline like a driveway which would be at lower speed by nature.
It shouldn't matter.
Just don't make sharp turns.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No speed restrictions with 4-hi

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only restrictions I can find are for 4-lo. I did find this while looking tho, never thought of not using tow/haul while towing.

My issue last weekend wasn’t stopping or coasting, it was accelerating or even maintaining speed on hills while towing. Multiple times on the drive my rear wheels lost traction causing a bit of fishtailing.

Attachments

• 0CBDB730-EC97-4E7F-828A-912855E745F4.jpeg
    0CBDB730-EC97-4E7F-828A-912855E745F4.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 5

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only restrictions I can find are for 4-lo. I did find this while looking tho, never thought of not using tow/haul while towing.

My issue last weekend wasn’t stopping or coasting, it was accelerating or even maintaining speed on hills while towing. Multiple times on the drive my rear wheels lost traction causing a bit of fishtailing.
In the manual it also says you do not have to use tow/haul while towing, that it depends on load, and road. It says if truck is constantly downshifting/upshifting, to switch to tow/haul. Using tow/haul will also change shift points.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the web site is very busy because it is what is used to check for open roads.
this one might work better

these sites are what everyone uses to see if chains are needed

here is a screen grab
View attachment 152899
iirc there are different levels of restrictions. I think R2 is all but 4x4 vehicles need chains. R3 is everyone need chains. I could be wrong on the numbers but I am certain there are tiered requirements and they announce it according to the road condition and weather forecast.

I know this because we used to do snow runs a lot and even toyed with the idea of charging "tourists" (aka those city people who can't drive in wet) to tow them out if they get stuck lol

Users who are viewing this thread