5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16,000 miles and already need a new engine

Camelot

Reaction score
Ouch! The more I read here, the more I regret buying a RAM truck. So far I had to replace the rear window (Leak) and get the air suspension recalibrated (1" Hight difference L/R) and that's within the first 4,000 miles.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All car MFR's have problems. Your on the forum so you will hear about them since everyone here is able to talk about their problems. Also you have the diesel, this was a 5.7 from what I read.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know its probably early for the 5thgens, but is there an aftermarket rebuild(er) kit that does away or solves this problem? A decade seems a little long to be still hurting your rep.
There are plenty of kits to rebuild them, its the MDS lifters that fail, so to fix it, you ideally need to remove MDS, which requires a tune and removal of the solenoids in addition to the lifters themselves. If you still have warranty, may not be something you want to do.
Ouch! The more I read here, the more I regret buying a RAM truck. So far I had to replace the rear window (Leak) and get the air suspension recalibrated (1" Hight difference L/R) and that's within the first 4,000 miles.
All vehicles have their issues and the lifter thing isn't something that will for sure happen. Keep up on oil changes, and use a good synthetic oil/filter. There are 5.7s with 100 or even 200k on them without an issue.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are plenty of kits to rebuild them, its the MDS lifters that fail, so to fix it, you ideally need to remove MDS, which requires a tune and removal of the solenoids in addition to the lifters themselves. If you still have warranty, may not be something you want to do.

All vehicles have their issues and the lifter thing isn't something that will for sure happen. Keep up on oil changes, and use a good synthetic oil/filter. There are 5.7s with 100 or even 200k on them without an issue.
Yes, this is what I meant. So if I was out of warranty, I could tell Jasper or someone to give me (older?) non MDS lifters and get a tune to disable MDS (or look at the CEL)? I know aftermarket kits are available to retro out the cylinder deact for GM stuff. Thanks for the info, altho early, helps to know options exist to keep a calm mind about it if it happens.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, this is what I meant. So if I was out of warranty, I could tell Jasper or someone to give me (older?) non MDS lifters and get a tune to disable MDS (or look at the CEL)? I know aftermarket kits are available to retro out the cylinder deact for GM stuff. Thanks for the info, altho early, helps to know options exist to keep a calm mind about it if it happens.
Apparently, MDS isn't the main culprit. A new hemi video I was watching suggested these engines may need a higher volume oil pump. Looking at the comments, a test may be coming down the line on his channel. Interesting video if you want to watch it.

RSZ

Reaction score
Apparently, MDS isn't the main culprit. A new hemi video I was watching suggested these engines may need a higher volume oil pump. Looking at the comments, a test may be coming down the line on his channel. Interesting video if you want to watch it.

And yet, the Hellcat engines also experience failed lifters/cams.

Jweaver1

Reaction score
Update on my issue:

It only took 2 weeks to get the new engine installed and I am back on the road. I had a fantastic experience with RamCare and the dealer who did the work. Ram customer care opened a case for me and is reimbursing me for a rental car that I had for a week. No complaints.

Now let's just hope I have better luck with this engine!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on my issue:

It only took 2 weeks to get the new engine installed and I am back on the road. I had a fantastic experience with RamCare and the dealer who did the work. Ram customer care opened a case for me and is reimbursing me for a rental car that I had for a week. No complaints.

Now let's just hope I have better luck with this engine!
Glad to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread