5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16.0 MPG At Long Last!

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
So from the day i got my truck i have been determined to break the 16.0 mpg mark (i have the 3.92 (my husband has 3.21 and has had 16+ since day one, but i always hovered around 15.3) and today it happened! ( i like to think all the motorists i have annoyed this past month with my feathering the gas pedal and my superb hypermiling techniques is responsible, rather than the engine just "breaking itself in" : ) lol

16MPG.jpg

oh, and just a sidenote...I am a firm believer IF you are are consumed with your MPG's then you are definitely in the WRONG vehicles, but i was just determined to see if i could do it. Now , its back to jackrabbit starts, passing ppl "just becuz" and leaving 4cyls in my dust : ) i am sure i'll be posting my 12MPG AVG by tomorrow...lol

Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I traded in a 2014 1500 4x4 express quad cab with 3.21 gears, 5.7 hemi with 8 gear auto. When I got over 40k miles, I started averaging 22mpg on mostly highway miles with 24 mpg calculated on a few longer trips. I do not drive aggressive, and I do manage my driving style to get me the most mpg, most of the time. I have 6500 miles on my 2019 laramie 1500, crew cab, 4x4, with a 6.4ft bed. I started out averaging 15mpgs, and now sit steady at 16.2. I am hoping it keeps increasing like my 14 express did.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I traded in a 2014 1500 4x4 express quad cab with 3.21 gears, 5.7 hemi with 8 gear auto. When I got over 40k miles, I started averaging 22mpg on mostly highway miles with 24 mpg calculated on a few longer trips. I do not drive aggressive, and I do manage my driving style to get me the most mpg, most of the time. I have 6500 miles on my 2019 laramie 1500, crew cab, 4x4, with a 6.4ft bed. I started out averaging 15mpgs, and now sit steady at 16.2. I am hoping it keeps increasing like my 14 express did.

Yeah a quad cab hands down will get better mpgs than a crew, even tho I don't recall seeing higher ratings on the window sticker.... I just don't see my truck ever getting much better than 16.5 at best, but I'm okay with that cuz I'm getting at least 100spg (smiles per gallon :)

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
I read this thread yesterday while at work so figured I'd check mine on the drive home yesterday night. While not scientific and only about a 1/4 of the way into a new tank, I was pretty pleased to see this:
1547727809015.png
The previous best I remember seeing was closer to 15, but I swapped the OEM exhaust to a Borla S-Type Cat Back recently which I'm sure has helped. :D

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
after the 3000 mile mark, you will see better MPG numbers. the MDS will kick in more often too.
i just rolled over 4400 miles and the last tank was 17.5 MPG bringing my total average to 16.4 as seen in my fuelly badge.
this is running 87 octane fuel and Pennsoil Ultra Prem. Synthetic oil.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Did you snap that while driving? That is impressive, if my radio disconnects i just "live with it" till next stop, i could never ever multitask behind the wheel... (well, i could, but not without causing a 20 car pile up...lol)

Well... I, um, uh, had "someone" else snap the picture (where is that Pinocchio with his nose growing emoji?). Yes officer, I did snap the picture while driving. o_O

I did make sure there was no other traffic in sight in either direction before doing so, FWIW. :whistle:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
January Something, 2019:

So from the day i got my truck i have been determined to break the 16.0 mpg mark (i have the 3.92 (my husband has 3.21 and has had 16+ since day one, but i always hovered around 15.3) and today it happened! ( i like to think all the motorists i have annoyed this past month with my feathering the gas pedal and my superb hypermiling techniques is responsible, rather than the engine just "breaking itself in" : ) lol

View attachment 13785

oh, and just a sidenote...I am a firm believer IF you are are consumed with your MPG's then you are definitely in the WRONG vehicles, but i was just determined to see if i could do it. Now , its back to jackrabbit starts, passing ppl "just becuz" and leaving 4cyls in my dust : ) i am sure i'll be posting my 12MPG AVG by tomorrow...lol

UPDATED 4-7-2019

ANOTHER Milestone!!!! Only took 2500 more miles but its somethin' : ) 17.1 MPG-2.jpg

and honestly, that is without even trying! i use crusie ALL the time, ALWAYS floor it when ppl are annoying (always : ) Hadn't checked mpg's in a couple of weeks at least, and all of a sudden i looked down today and was like, "WOW! 17.1 from my Black Beauty w/ 3.92 gears?! u go girl : )

Last edited:

Dredram

Reaction score
I also recently hit 16.3 mpg and i think its a result of the summer blend of gasoline. The winter blend has more ethenol = less mpg

Users who are viewing this thread