5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 temps and towing issue and questions

DavePete

Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 (5.7 gas) and it seemed to me it was running hot as well. Dealer looked at it said it was normal. Still not satisfied. we towed a small RV trailer (~4,000lb) and on level and light grades it did well. on long steeper grades ( 5-6%) it sucked, 30 mph and being passed by everyone including semis with trailers and it was still hotter ( > 220), than it should be with heater going full bore. Temps based on the digital gauge with outside temps in the 70s. Regular temp gauge doesn't seem to move. Seems to me it should do better than that. ... my questions 1} anyone with similar experience? 2.) any mods I could or should make to improve performance ? 3.) Any driving changes I need to make, such as using the manual gear buttons on the grades? 4.) any diagnostics I could perform on the gauges, fan control, etc?

Ickabod

Reaction score
While towing my boat (~7000lb) I have no problem with acceleration in steep grades, just be sure to turn on the tow/haul mode so the truck stays in the lower gears longer. Towing will push the engine and run temp hotter, but 220 should be within normal range. As long as the fan is running when pushed, it should be fine.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
220 - 230F is the ideal Coolant Temp range most engines run for best performance and fuel efficiency, that's when not towing. When towing heavy for a long time, expect temps up to 240F or so. That 180F is old time tuning these days, modern engines are not designed to run that cool anymore. My BMW for example runs at 227F on the highway during "Eco" mode, then drops down to 207F in city stop & go driving in "Heavy Cooling" mode.

Use your gauge settings to show all 4 in the center of the digital gauge at once (Oil Temp, Oil Press, Coolant Temp, Volts). Then keep an eye on your Oil Temps in particular when towing, they will go beyond 230F when towing, something like up to 260F-280F towing something heavy in an incline.

As for your slow towing, make sure you are in tow/haul mode, it will adjust the gears better and keep them in a better range. Do you have the 3.92 rear axle?

Here is a good video on towing and temps on a 2019 RAM Rebel, going up a big incline in high elevation:

Last edited:

DavePete

Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 (5.7 gas) and it seemed to me it was running hot as well. Dealer looked at it said it was normal. Still not satisfied. we towed a small RV trailer (~4,000lb) and on level and light grades it did well. on long steeper grades ( 5-6%) it sucked, 30 mph and being passed by everyone including semis with trailers and it was still hotter ( > 220), than it should be with heater going full bore. Temps based on the digital gauge with outside temps in the 70s. Regular temp gauge doesn't seem to move. Seems to me it should do better than that. ... my questions 1} anyone with similar experience? 2.) any mods I could or should make to improve performance ? 3.) Any driving changes I need to make, such as using the manual gear buttons on the grades? 4.) any diagnostics I could perform on the gauges, fan control, etc?
I run tow haul mode. I don't much care what the temp is as long as it is in specs. I don't want to damage the vehicle.

Shortdustoff

Reaction score
It seems to me that you should be able to tow that weight on steep grades much faster than 30 mph, even at higher altitudes. As for the temp, not sure. Normal cruise without load is about 200 degrees. With load 6500lbs it doesn’t go above 220 really. But I have only towed a few times, and pretty level. New vehicle emission standards keep operating temps at 200 plus F. I am sure with a tuner you can install a 180 degree t stat. If you do it without a tune you will get an engine code, probably not worth it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It seems to me that you should be able to tow that weight on steep grades much faster than 30 mph, even at higher altitudes. As for the temp, not sure. Normal cruise without load is about 200 degrees. With load 6500lbs it doesn’t go above 220 really. But I have only towed a few times, and pretty level. New vehicle emission standards keep operating temps at 200 plus F. I am sure with a tuner you can install a 180 degree t stat. If you do it without a tune you will get an engine code, probably not worth it.

I would double check your temps, 220F - 230F is the normal operation range for the RAM 5.7L without a load. Going 180F would hurt performance and drop fuel economy.

deanfx

Reaction score
I pulled a 7K bumper pull trailer around 200 miles and the engine temp didn't change much from normal. Trans temp went up maybe 5 degrees. Thats' with 321 gears. I did use tow mode and locked out 7th and 8th gear. I do have to say the down shifting and engine braking was awesome.

TWRam

Reaction score
Looking for some additional details about your situation.......Why did the truck only go 30MPH up steeper grades? Did you have the throttle wide open or were you backing off? If you had it wide open, id think you have a problem, if you didn't, why not and how were you determining how much throttle to give it? You mention that you are unhappy with the engine operating temps, what do you expect them to be and how did you come to that conclusion?

Shortdustoff

Reaction score
I would double check your temps, 220F - 230F is the normal operation range for the RAM 5.7L without a load. Going 180F would hurt performance and drop fuel economy.
OEM temp for the thermostat is 203 degrees. I understand hot weather and load will raise temps. Not sure when the electric fan kicks on think it’s around 210. I have never been above 215 degrees here in Alabama.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OEM temp for the thermostat is 203 degrees. I understand hot weather and load will raise temps. Not sure when the electric fan kicks on think it’s around 210. I have never been above 215 degrees here in Alabama.

I've been in several current gen RAMs around here and all of them running higher temps than that in normal operation, 220F is pretty constant, but cooler days or before fully up to oil temp, say before 10 miles of driving, I've had around 205F-215F. But once oil temps has reach normal op temp, 220F is constant.

May have to do with emissions in our state?

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I programmed my driver's console to show the trans & oil temps on the left/right slide bars. We just finished a trip from NM to Chicago & back pulling a TT that weighed in around 4,600#. The trans temp was in the 170's but oil temp was always 230-ish. The hottest the oil ever registered was 255 as we were towing up Raton pass (we maintained 55 mph without pushing the truck at all). Since the trans temp didn't jump more than 5º on the pass I'm 'assuming' my tow package is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

R

Rob5589

What was the temp? "> 220" doesn't help. What gear were you in while pulling the grade?

DavePete

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. For clarity purposes. I dropped the speed to 30 because the dealer indicated it should not go over 220, but is was over that on the grade. The engine operates 205-217 most of the time. If someone can tell me where to find the manufacturer operating specs for the ending coolant, oil and transmission temps I would love to see it. I downloaded an operating manual, but couldn't find anything. My perceptions may be way off base as to what temps things should be. Just don't want to develop problems because I operated outside the operating specs.

Users who are viewing this thread