5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Rebel vs 1500 Limited

Stealthall

Reaction score
Fellas,

First off I am still learning about these trucks as I have never owned a p/u, hence the question and thanks in advance.

What is the difference/trade off between the Rebel and Limited…?

Pre info for you: Planning on ordering one and keep going back and forth between Rebel and Limited. If I were to buy the limited I would do the 1” level/lift. As well, assume the Rebel is loaded with Air Ride, and all the toys and the Limited has same toys and options. Really the only obvious option I am not “checking” is the pano roof. Other than the off-road wheels, and appearance stuff…..then what is the difference/trade-off of the Rebel vs Limited? No vented/cooled seats in the Rebel? Does the Rebel ride rougher due to the wheels/tires?

FYI - if this helps, I have short drives in the city to my office and then we go to our beach house which is 2.5 hour drive a lot and every 8 weeks we drive to Chicago (12 hours each way from NC).

Hard to test drive them with low inventory. If the Rebel is horrible on the highway then that might be the factor to go Limited….

Thanks!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was in a similar quandry as you in trying to decide between a Rebel and a Limited. Basically, the Limited will be all around more comfortable. Ventilated seats, higher quality leather interior, power steps. But the Rebel is very comfortable to drive as well, especially if it has the Rebel 12 group. The differences in ride quality between the two are subtle. In fact, all 5th gen 1500's are very comfortable on the highway. If you get a Limited with the off road group, the ride quality will be closer to the Rebel because it comes with a 1 inch lift, heavy duty shocks, and 6 ply A/T tires. The Limited comes with air suspension, while that is an option for the Rebel. The Limited also has better LED headlights (adaptive LED projectors versus LED reflectors). My biggest gripe with the Rebel is the lack of ventilated seats, so in the end I decided on a Limited.

ST4T1ST1C

Reaction score
Someone please jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but the Rebel has a clutchless transfer case which makes it more capable as in an offroad environment than other Ram models which feature a clutch in the transfer case. So take that for what it is worth, but I purposely chose my Rebel over a Bighorn /w ORG because of this mechanical difference. Yes, there are no cool seats (which I had in my previous F150 Lariat), but depending on your climate it may not be that big of a deal. Also, speaking of climate, it may dictate whether or not you should get the coil suspension over the air in the Rebel...I had a '17 Rebel with air suspension and hated it in the winter. It would seem the truck didn't handle the same and had 1/2 inch lean towards the driver side. I took it out once on a hunt and I smelled that I was overstressing the suspension which is why I opted to trade it in. My current Rebel has the coil variant and so far I am very pleased with it and don't foresee any issues. At the end of the day, you need to objectively evaluate what you will actually use your truck for. For me, I hunt and camp quite often off of the beaten path which influenced my decision considerably.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Someone please jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but the Rebel has a clutchless transfer case which makes it more capable as in an offroad environment than other Ram models which feature a clutch in the transfer case. So take that for what it is worth, but I purposely chose my Rebel over a Bighorn /w ORG because of this mechanical difference. Yes, there are no cool seats (which I had in my previous F150 Lariat), but depending on your climate it may not be that big of a deal. Also, speaking of climate, it may dictate whether or not you should get the coil suspension over the air in the Rebel...I had a '17 Rebel with air suspension and hated it in the winter. It would seem the truck didn't handle the same and had 1/2 inch lean towards the driver side. I took it out once on a hunt and I smelled that I was overstressing the suspension which is why I opted to trade it in. My current Rebel has the coil variant and so far I am very pleased with it and don't foresee any issues. At the end of the day, you need to objectively evaluate what you will actually use your truck for. For me, I hunt and camp quite often off of the beaten path which influenced my decision considerably.
First, see this thread for more info on the transfer cases. Note that you can now option a Rebel with either TC.

Second, the air suspension was redesigned (slightly) for the 5th gens, and we've heard of few (if any) issues with the air suspensions on this generation. Both ride well, but the air suspension offers a number of advantages in load leveling, height adjustability, etc.

Stealthall

Reaction score
Isn’t the vented seats available via the new G/T build for 2022? Or via another build for 2022?

FN-2187

Reaction score
I really wish that I would have been able to see and drive a Rebel when I bought my Limited. However, I almost inappropriately love my Limited and wouldn't go back now. It is incredible how nice the truck is. All the extra features inside and out are just amazing. I came from a 2016 Tacoma and the difference still shocks me every time I get in my new truck. I know I'm comparing a 35,000 dollar truck to one twice the price but it is just so damn nice. I feel like if I were to want to off road more heavily the Rebel would have been a better choice but I would be kidding myself if I was thinking I would have.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Isn’t the vented seats available via the new G/T build for 2022? Or via another build for 2022?
I've only hear about possible packages and options for 2022, and have no first-hand information about them so I can't say for sure. But up thru 2021 model year, ventilated seats are not available in the Rebel. I'd really like to see that changed because there are a lot of Rebel owners who have wanted them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has Ram officially announced the GT package for 2022? I've read a few articles about it (including one from 5th gen rams) but they all said that FCA hasn't officially announced the package yet.

Users who are viewing this thread