5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 or 2500

Woody2375

Reaction score
Can’t decide between a new 1500 ecodiesel or a new 2500 6.4. Will be towing a max 5000lb aluminum bumper pull horse trailer every day. I know the 1500 can pull it, but will I be asking a lot of it doing it every day?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your towing everyday get the 2500, a 1500 truck will wear out quickly asking that much out of it. The Cummins will tow more efficiently, but costs more upfront.

I don’t think you’ll miss the better ride quality of a 1500 if your towing everyday. My eco diesel doesn’t mind towing upwards of 8000lbs, but I’d never ask it to pull that on a daily basis.

Woody2375

Reaction score
If your towing everyday get the 2500, a 1500 truck will wear out quickly asking that much out of it. The Cummins will tow more efficiently, but costs more upfront.

I don’t think you’ll miss the better ride quality of a 1500 if your towing everyday. My eco diesel doesn’t mind towing upwards of 8000lbs, but I’d never ask it to pull that on a daily basis.
That’s what I’m thinking also. Just second guessing it a little.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These trucks aren’t cheap, ask lots of questions and do plenty of research so you aren’t regretting your purchasing decisions down the road.

Despite a few issues I love my truck, I got it built exactly how I wanted it and hope to keep it for years to come. It took many months of research and test drives for me to decide.

Pristine1

Reaction score

Yeah and the New 2500’s ride really nice with the rear coil springs. It’s a true cowboys cadillac. I found my dad a nice new Cummins 2500 last year and I actually think some people would prefer the way it rides vs the 1500. It’s just a firmer version of the 1500. Feels more controlled so towing daily it would be nice. I’ve towed a couple thousand lbs daily with an 05 Ram 1500, with a daily grade to climb and that truck served me well. 5k daily is questionable Though. If it’s just flat land towing it would make the decision harder for me. If you’re pulling grades daily then probably not. Although Vern pulls travel trailers regularly cross country so he may say otherwise with his almost million mile eco d.

Users who are viewing this thread