5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Laramie set up to be towed behind Motorhome

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
Hey Guys, newbie member here... Thought I would share my latest mod to my brand new 2022 Laramie Night Edition in case there are others who want to tackle the same thing.

I just ordered and installed the Demco baseplates to attach a tow bar between the MoHo and the truck, a Curt wiring harness that will allow the motorhome's tail lights, signals and brake lights function through the truck's lights, and a break-away switch for the brake box.

I have installed similar set ups on a Chevy Silverado (the truck traded in for the Ram), and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I will have to say that the Ram was the easiest to install all the way around... All in all it turned into a fun project.

zn1jie9.jpg
QeOGdwE.jpg

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
How does it feel towing a pu behind the MH ? What size/kind of MH?

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
Hey Ricky, sorry to take so long with my reply... I have been traveling for work and personal, so haven't been on here as much as I would like.

To answer your question, I really don't feel it back there... I have to keep checking my rear camera just to make sure the Ram is still following as it should. There is no bucking or chucking as you would feel pulling a trailer with the truck. I also carry a Club Car golf cart in the bed of the truck as well.

The coach is a 40' Fleetwood Discovery LXE. The engine in the MH is a 380HP Cummins ISL9.

NC to FL.jpg

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Hey Ricky, sorry to take so long with my reply... I have been traveling for work and personal, so haven't been on here as much as I would like.

To answer your question, I really don't feel it back there... I have to keep checking my rear camera just to make sure the Ram is still following as it should. There is no bucking or chucking as you would feel pulling a trailer with the truck. I also carry a Club Car golf cart in the bed of the truck as well.

The coach is a 40' Fleetwood Discovery LXE. The engine in the MH is a 380HP Cummins ISL9.

View attachment 117604
Wow nice setup, I'm thinking about a DP for my next RV good to know the ram makes a good toad

rotts4u

Reaction score
How do you like the Fleetwood? I have a Tiffin Phaeton myself but I was a magazine writer for Motorhome Magazine for about 15 years. I am still involved but not like I was once in the industry

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
So far, I really like it... I think for the price, there is a lot of bang for the buck. The engine is plenty powerful, and the fit and finish of everything is done pretty well. We have been camping/glamping for about 22 years, and have had "them all", but this one has been the best so far.

Spyder2u

Reaction score

View attachment 117604
Hello Duane.
I am new to the RAM 1500 and would like to setup our truck as a Dinghy. I have so many questions about doing so. Hoping you might be able to help with a few answers....
I set up our Jeep Commander last year to tow behind our Expedition (360 HP). Roadmaster BP and Tow Bar. Patriot brake system and setup the lights with diodes myself. My biggest fear is going through the Firewall for wiring and breakaway. The Jeep was simple, as it had a small unused opening already with a rubber boot through the Firewall.
I sent you a PM , would it be possible to contact you?
Thanks,
Spyder

Attachments

• 43704453655.619387539.IM1.MAIN.640x480_A.640x480.jpg
    43704453655.619387539.IM1.MAIN.640x480_A.640x480.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
Hello Duane.
I am new to the RAM 1500 and would like to setup our truck as a Dinghy. I have so many questions about doing so. Hoping you might be able to help with a few answers....
I set up our Jeep Commander last year to tow behind our Expedition (360 HP). Roadmaster BP and Tow Bar. Patriot brake system and setup the lights with diodes myself. My biggest fear is going through the Firewall for wiring and breakaway. The Jeep was simple, as it had a small unused opening already with a rubber boot through the Firewall.
I sent you a PM , would it be possible to contact you?
Thanks,
Spyder
No worries Spyder, I responded to your PM... This will be a fun project, and don't let the wiring scare you... there's nothing to it!

Users who are viewing this thread