5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Battery dead (acted like a dead battery)

reb0957

Reaction score
Ran errands in town for a few hours today. Everything was fine. When to back truck into garage, truck started normally. Before I could get in garage power steering started sticking and truck stuttering. Pulled up evic and said 15.7 volts but the voltage was lit up in red. Battery light was on.
2019 Laramie, 5.7 no etorq, 12" screen. I have a charger on it now, no lights come on when I open doors and the screens don't light up.
Build date of 6-19 and 5900miles.

Charger is now charged and no lights or anything on in truck. Will be going to WalMart shortly for a multimeter. Any ideas? Is there one fuse that could be doing this? If so, which one?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Ran errands in town for a few hours today. Everything was fine. When to back truck into garage, truck started normally. Before I could get in garage power steering started sticking and truck stuttering. Pulled up evic and said 15.7 volts but the voltage was lit up in red. Battery light was on.
2019 Laramie, 5.7 no etorq, 12" screen. I have a charger on it now, no lights come on when I open doors and the screens don't light up.
Build date of 6-19 and 5900miles.

Charger is now charged and no lights or anything on in truck. Will be going to WalMart shortly for a multimeter. Any ideas? Is there one fuse that could be doing this? If so, which one?
Thanks!

Maybe their was a hiccup with it starting that affected the electric steering. Have u tried pushing the start button in with the rounded / non door key side of the fob? That’s an alternate way of starting that may help if the normal way isn’t working. As far as the interior lights not coming on, are u sure u didn’t turn them off at the toggle in the ceiling behind the map light buttons?

It isn't just the lights. It is like battery is dead. Nothing comes on. Steps don't deploy, cluster doesn't come on, UConnect doesn't come on. Battery is at 13.03 volts not connected and 12.96 volts once connected. Loosened and tightened all the top side grounds I could find. Oh, and I found this missing bolt. Could vibrating around have fried this piece? What is it?
Also, left battery disconnected for about 45 minutes. When I wired it back up I could here something happening in the fuse box and it sounded like a solenoid clicked in fan area. But ultimately nothing happened.
45c4deaaed3d3f804c0d813885bb62cd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So, I what is the piece called that is missing the bolt?

OKay, so got truck towed dealership. As soon as the truck arrived they said it was fixed. They claim a nut had backed off of one of the main power wires leading into the fuse box. There is one nut that is now a completely different color than others. They claim it was probably taken off when putting power running boards on. These were installed, by the dealership I purchased the truck from in October. But hey, the truck works now. OH and I got them to put that bolt on the PCM that was missing also. This is just extremely strange.

Sadly I’ve found several times when dealerships have worked on vehicles, some bolts end up missing.

OKay, so got truck towed dealership. As soon as the truck arrived they said it was fixed. They claim a nut had backed off of one of the main power wires leading into the fuse box. There is one nut that is now a completely different color than others. They claim it was probably taken off when putting power running boards on. These were installed, by the dealership I purchased the truck from in October. But hey, the truck works now. OH and I got them to put that bolt on the PCM that was missing also. This is just extremely strange.

Hi reb0957,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning, however glad to hear that your dealer was able to assist. Should you experience any additional concerns down the road, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for support.

Mark
RamCares

Pic of where the new nut is

It is the darkest nut. I wasn't theiir but the tow truck driver did say he had it started to get it off the tow truck. I found a plastic nut in my driveway that fit the stud tightly and that could have been holding it on. I have no reason to doubt the service manager at this dealership. There is a reason I travel there to get my truck worked on. He did say that but gets undone for power running boards. The running boards were put on when I bought the truck in October.
886c3a71256c16ba7c25a8984b67155d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back