5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 4x4 | Leveling Kit Advice

Anderluxe

Reaction score
What’s up Team Ram!

I just purchased a Laramie 4x4 and starting to research what is the best option for leveling and tires. I am getting so many different opinions and just trying to get some sound advice.

I will be towing a 28’ trailer and not even sure if I will get into anything serious off-road, very unlikely. I was thinking 3.5” leveling kit but was recently told not to do that and to only do 2”-2.5” max? Anyone have some guidance on this subject?

many thanks!

Map715

Reaction score
Here Looking for the same info, also congrats on the new truck! I’ve had mine since august of 2018 and love every minute with it.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
3.5" will take it beyond level to front end high. 2.5" will make most trucks perfectly level, but sometimes they look a little front end high. 2" will get the front end about 1/2" lower than the rear on most trucks.

I leveled my Laramie with a Readylift leveling kit with UCA's. The kit yielded 2" of lift. I got the kit on Amazon for ~$350. There are a bunch of ways to level the front end, you just need to determine how much you want to spend and what type of ride you desire.

20210712_121630.jpg

T_Rod25

Reaction score
I also went with the Readylift leveling kit and really couldn’t be happier. I was in the same position as you with no intention of any serious off-roading so I had no desire to go with a crazy high performance build, but I didn’t wanna go super cheap either. I think the Readylift filled that gap perfectly. And as far as any concerns over ride quality, I have noticed a barely stiffer ride, but nothing to be concerned about whatsoever. Also the E rated tires I put on probably contribute to that, it’s not all the Readylift kit. A94CD76B-CE9D-48E0-8D59-29AEB31AE0FB.jpeg 851619BD-8BAF-4402-8080-E06073804423.jpeg

tsouthar91

Reaction score
What’s up Team Ram!

I just purchased a Laramie 4x4 and starting to research what is the best option for leveling and tires. I am getting so many different opinions and just trying to get some sound advice.

I will be towing a 28’ trailer and not even sure if I will get into anything serious off-road, very unlikely. I was thinking 3.5” leveling kit but was recently told not to do that and to only do 2”-2.5” max? Anyone have some guidance on this subject?

many thanks!

I am in the same position. I purchased my ‘21 Laramie with Off Road Package last week. Seems we really have 3 options.

1. Leveling shocks with no UCA’s
2. Leveling shocks with UCA’s
3. Ready lift kit as mentioned (spacer with UCA’s)

I’m not sure which one is really the BEST option, lots of different feedback.

Remember, the off-road group sits 1” higher than a factory RAM. Meaning, if you add 2” of level, it is recommended by most to add UCA’s.

With you towing as much as you are, you may think hard about the leveling shocks. Pretty sure thats what I will be doing. Getting those and setting them to 1.5” so when I tow heavy its not overly squatting. It would also be a TOTAL lift of 2.5” which most say does not require UCA’s.

My deal is I just worry about longevity, so not sure which is the best way to go.

Keep us posted

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Rough Country Loaded struts? I'm on the fence of either these or the Ready Lift Spacers & UCA's. Mine is a non-ORP 4wd.
I've read really good reviews on here from a few members. I went with the 2" lift from motofab and I don't regret it at all. It stiffened up the feel a bit, but in a positive way. I would never go back.

I plan on going for the fox coilovers either the Carli one's or the Elite series. Time and money will determine that later lol

Anderluxe

Reaction score
3.5" will take it beyond level to front end high. 2.5" will make most trucks perfectly level, but sometimes they look a little front end high. 2" will get the front end about 1/2" lower than the rear on most trucks.

I leveled my Laramie with a Readylift leveling kit with UCA's. The kit yielded 2" of lift. I got the kit on Amazon for ~$350. There are a bunch of ways to level the front end, you just need to determine how much you want to spend and what type of ride you desire.

View attachment 104320
Thanks for the information, love your truck! Did you do this add yourself? Trying to estimate the labor costs on my end

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, love your truck! Did you do this add yourself? Trying to estimate the labor costs on my end
My dealer installed the kit before I took delivery of my truck. $387 total for installation, mounting wheels/tires, and alignment. They actually bought my stock wheels and tires, so the $387 was subtracted from that. A local 4WD shop gave me an estimate of ~$600 to install the leveling kit and alignment.

n9ne4

Reaction score

View attachment 104320
This is the look I am going for with mine, any problems with the ready lift and how far out do the wheels stick at -12? Any MPG hit? Noticeable power loss?

Thanks again!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This is the look I am going for with mine, any problems with the ready lift and how far out do the wheels stick at -12? Any MPG hit? Noticeable power loss?

Thanks again!
I didn't drive my truck without the lift or new tires so a comparison is more difficult. I did drive a few stock Laramie's, so just going off of memory, the ride is just a little bit firmer, but in a good way. The non-LT Ridge Grapplers ride very smooth. I had the LT's on my Tundra and they made the ride more harsh. The sidewall of the front tires stick out just past the flares. The Ridge Grapplers I bought are only 9-10lbs heavier than the stock tires so the MPG hit is minimal. On my current tank of gas I'm getting about 18 MPG with a 70/30 city/highway mix. I have 3.92 gears and I don't notice any power loss.

20210712_164822.jpg

n9ne4

Reaction score
I didn't drive my truck without the lift or new tires so a comparison is more difficult. I did drive a few stock Laramie's, so just going off of memory, the ride is just a little bit firmer, but in a good way. The non-LT Ridge Grapplers ride very smooth. I had the LT's on my Tundra and they made the ride more harsh. The sidewall of the front tires stick out just past the flares. The Ridge Grapplers I bought are only 9-10lbs heavier than the stock tires so the MPG hit is minimal. On my current tank of gas I'm getting about 18 MPG with a 70/30 city/highway mix. I have 3.92 gears and I don't notice any power loss.

View attachment 104694
Thank you!

Essbaum

Reaction score
Thoughts on the Rough Country Loaded struts? I'm on the fence of either these or the Ready Lift Spacers & UCA's. Mine is a non-ORP 4wd.
You may have already gone another way, but I have 2 weeks on the 2" rough Country lift struts. They took all 2.5" of rake out and I am perfectly level. I have 1" rear spacers sitting in the garage incase I want some rake back. But I also have airlift 5000 bags so I gave myself .5 back with a little more air :) I am waiting to see if they settle befire I do anything in the rear.

As for the ride, I am pleased. I thought the non-orp shocks were a little under damped and soft riding. The N3 struts are better damped and the spring in them is a little more preloaded than stock so the ride is firmer. The air in the back helps some also, but I may still be looking at the Hellwig.

Good Luck.

GrizzlyAlloy

Reaction score
I am in the same position. I purchased my ‘21 Laramie with Off Road Package last week. Seems we really have 3 options.

1. Leveling shocks with no UCA’s
2. Leveling shocks with UCA’s
3. Ready lift kit as mentioned (spacer with UCA’s)

I’m not sure which one is really the BEST option, lots of different feedback.

Remember, the off-road group sits 1” higher than a factory RAM. Meaning, if you add 2” of level, it is recommended by most to add UCA’s.

With you towing as much as you are, you may think hard about the leveling shocks. Pretty sure thats what I will be doing. Getting those and setting them to 1.5” so when I tow heavy its not overly squatting. It would also be a TOTAL lift of 2.5” which most say does not require UCA’s.

My deal is I just worry about longevity, so not sure which is the best way to go.

Keep us posted
I just got a truck with ORG. I'd like to raise the front 2". From what I gather, I'd need bilstein shocks set at a certain # and UCAs? Is that correct and where can I get just the UCAs?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a truck with ORG. I'd like to raise the front 2". From what I gather, I'd need bilstein shocks set at a certain # and UCAs? Is that correct and where can I get just the UCAs?
Pretty much any of the brands at the top in this search are pretty good.
UCA’s

Ibanez540r

Reaction score

View attachment 104320
Idaho - Did you already have the ORG, or is this a non-ORG Laramie?

Users who are viewing this thread