5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$1400 for leveling kit

WyoRam21

Reaction score
I have $1400 (with installation) to spend on a leveling kit. It is a 2021 1500 Big Horn Night Edition. The only off roading i do is mostly maintained mountain roads for hunting and fishing and those trips are probably a week or two out of the year. What would you get? I should add I only want to go 2" because I do use the bed.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably the most popular kit is the ReadyLift 2.0, which comes with a pair of top hat spacers (not preload spring spacers) and revised Upper Control Arms. Overall strong reviews and seems to maintain ride quality over stock.

That kit is about $530 with free shipping, the shop you are having it installed with will probably charge you the same plus tax.

Then you have the installation, which can vary greatly depending on the shop, but a reputable shop will likely charge you $400 - $500 or so. Then there is an alignment, add on another $50 or so.

That should put you in at around $1000 - $1,100 range with tax. You can put the remaining $300 - $400 towards a set of wheel spacers if you want to keep the stock wheels/tires or a towards a towards an aftermarket set.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Probably the most popular kit is the ReadyLift 2.0, which comes with a pair of top hat spacers (not preload spring spacers) and revised Upper Control Arms. Overall strong reviews and seems to maintain ride quality over stock.

That kit is about $530 with free shipping, the shop you are having it installed with will probably charge you the same plus tax.

Then you have the installation, which can vary greatly depending on the shop, but a reputable shop will likely charge you $400 - $500 or so. Then there is an alignment, add on another $50 or so.

That should put you in at around $1000 - $1,100 range with tax. You can put the remaining $300 - $400 towards a set of wheel spacers if you want to keep the stock wheels/tires or a towards a towards an aftermarket set.

Thank you and am leaning towards this route. I do want to keep the factory rims. I was told I could fit 295 60 20 or 285 60 20 tires on my stock rims without spacers with a leveling kit and not have rub.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thank you and am leaning towards this route. I do want to keep the factory rims. I was told I could fit 295 60 20 or 285 60 20 tires on my stock rims without spacers with a leveling kit and not have rub.

Sounds about right, the spacers will only increase your chance of rubbing by pushing the tire out and making it more likely to rub on full lock. So if you don't go spacer, you should be fine. I think you can go with 1/2" - 1" spacers and still not rub, but that depends on how concave the inside of your stock wheel is to allow room for the factory stud, assuming you don't want to cut the factory studs.

Either way, you should be just fine, especially without a spacer.

puba08

Reaction score
IMO Definitely go with Bilstein or Eibachs. I had the motofab spacers and they ride like sh!t. Tried to go the cheaper route. Ride quality suffered.
Eibachs were $215 shipped. Install was like $300 and I had Zone UCA’s installed as well.
I’m running 275/65 (34x11) on stock rims. Going wider on stock wheels is very tight.
Here’s a pic of the stock tires on stock rims with the UCA’s (it’s very close to rubbing)
722f096fb51b42700c46e37e9b5115c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
IMO Definitely go with Bilstein or Eibachs. I had the motofab spacers and they ride like sh!t. Tried to go the cheaper route....

The Readylift 2.0 kit doesn't get a lot of negative reviews regarding ride quality. Was your Motofab spacer a top hat or spring preload spacer?

WyoRam21

Reaction score
IMO Definitely go with Bilstein or Eibachs. I had the motofab spacers and they ride like sh!t. Tried to go the cheaper route. Ride quality suffered.
Eibachs were $215 shipped. Install was like $300 and I had Zone UCA’s installed as well.
I’m running 275/65 (34x11) on stock rims. Going wider on stock wheels is very tight.
Here’s a pic of the stock tires on stock rims with the UCA’s (it’s very close to rubbing)

Did you go with the Eibach springs and shocks or just the shocks? Did you do front and back or just the front? Thanks for your advice.

puba08

Reaction score
Did you go with the Eibach springs and shocks or just the shocks? Did you do front and back or just the front? Thanks for your advice.

Front shocks only. I have the ORG on my truck. Set the shock to 1.8 and your done. Perfectly level.

puba08

Reaction score
The Readylift 2.0 kit doesn't get a lot of negative reviews regarding ride quality. Was your Motofab spacer a top hat or spring preload spacer?

Top hat. The ride was god awful. When I hit a bump there was lots of noise. Nothing was loose either. I was trying to go the cheaper route but was taught a lesson. The Bils and Eibachs are not that much more and the ride is sooo much better.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Front shocks only. I have the ORG on my truck. Set the shock to 1.8 and your done. Perfectly level.

I don't have the ORG. Would i still set it at the 1.8?

puba08

Reaction score
I don't have the ORG. Would i still set it at the 1.8?

With the eibachs you can go higher as well as the Bilsteins. 1.8 on the eibachs plus the 1” from the taller ORG spring gets you around 3”.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Top hat. The ride was god awful. When I hit a bump there was lots of noise. Nothing was loose either. I was trying to go the cheaper route but was taught a lesson. The Bils and Eibachs are not that much more and the ride is sooo much better.

Gotcha!

Your pricing on the alternative seem really reasonable as well.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Get a pair of Eibach struts and have them set at 1.8" (Both will cost you around $230 or so), or 5100 at 2" (both will cost you around $250). With install and aligment you should below the $1400 mark. If you want something better you can get Bilstein 6112's for $730 and same thing have them set at 2", and now you'll be at the $1400 with install and alignment. You won't need aftermarket UCA's with everything set at 2" though it wouldn't hurt to have something better than stock.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Get a pair of Eibach struts and have them set at 1.8" (Both will cost you around $230 or so), or 5100 at 2" (both will cost you around $250). With install and aligment you should below the $1400 mark. If you want something better you can get Bilstein 6112's for $730 and same thing have them set at 2", and now you'll be at the $1400 with install and alignment. You won't need aftermarket UCA's with everything set at 2" though it wouldn't hurt to have something better than stock.
Newb question. Are the struts just the shocks or shocks and springs?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Newb question. Are the struts just the shocks or shocks and springs
Typically shock and spring as one unit but In the case of Eibach or Bistein 5100, it's the assembly without the spring. you'll have to transfer your factory coils, strut top mount etc. The 6112's do include the springs but you still have to transfer the factory strut top mount to the 6112's. There are places like shocksurplus that can sell you 5100 or 6112's fully assembled. more money but you can keep your factory struts unmolested. Another option for you will be RC QL 2" struts. should provide 2" as well and they're fully assembled and ready to go for i think $300 and change for both. I started out with Rancho QL struts, but i didn't keep my factory ones. 12k miles later those Rancho became my backup set and i went with Kings. If i need to service the Kings i'll remove them myself and send them to the shop for service and i'll put my Ranchos back so the only downtime i have is me putting on the jacks and removing/installing both sets. Simple and plug and play :)

Have fun.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Typically shock and spring as one unit but In the case of Eibach or Bistein 5100, it's the assembly without the spring. you'll have to transfer your factory coils, strut top mount etc. The 6112's do include the springs but you still have to transfer the factory strut top mount to the 6112's. There are places like shocksurplus that can sell you 5100 or 6112's fully assembled. more money but you can keep your factory struts unmolested. Another option for you will be RC QL 2" struts. should provide 2" as well and they're fully assembled and ready to go for i think $300 and change for both. I started out with Rancho QL struts, but i didn't keep my factory ones. 12k miles later those Rancho became my backup set and i went with Kings. If i need to service the Kings i'll remove them myself and send them to the shop for service and i'll put my Ranchos back so the only downtime i have is me putting on the jacks and removing/installing both sets. Simple and plug and play :)

Have fun.
I know King shocks are phenomenal but was there a specific reason you went away from the Rancho ones?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
I know King shocks are phenomenal but was there a specific reason you went away from the Rancho ones?
Performance is pretty much the name of the game. I had 3 previous IFS applications before, Toyota FJ with Radflo 2.5 CO's and shocks and aftermarket UCA's, then Taco with Icon Stage 3 (2.5 CO's, 2.0 rear shocks) and another Taco with Stage Icon Stage 6(2.5 CO and shocks all around with CDC) Once you get used to driving with performance shocks you get spoiled... badly :) while the Ranchos were incredibly well behaved on the street, the moment you go to the dirt and you start giving the vehicle some speed it doesn't take long before you realize you want/need performance shocks. They're ok for driving offroad though when you're just going from point A to B and you drive slow and easy.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Okay to make sure I have this down correctly...I have a Rebel so I obviously have the ORG. After measuring I’ve got 2 inches of rake so I should set the eibachs at 1.8” correct? That would level me out? When people start throwing around “it’s actually 3” with org” it makes me worry I’ll install it and end up with front to back rake

puba08

Reaction score
Okay to make sure I have this down correctly...I have a Rebel so I obviously have the ORG. After measuring I’ve got 2 inches of rake so I should set the eibachs at 1.8” correct? That would level me out? When people start throwing around “it’s actually 3” with org” it makes me worry I’ll install it and end up with front to back rake

Yes 1.8. You don’t want to really go higher because you have the 1” already from the ORG springs.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score

I’m looking to fit 285/65 or 295/65. Do you think the additional half in will hit th UCA

Users who are viewing this thread