5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12v to 1500 DT bed location

Sigfla

Reaction score
Where along the truck bed are you all mounting 12v power? I would like to install at a minimum 1 12v cigarette lighter plug and 1 SAE power plug as I have several accessories that I currently use a kayak power box with. Not sure where to drill or mount a panel.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Where along the truck bed are you all mounting 12v power? I would like to install at a minimum 1 12v cigarette lighter plug and 1 SAE power plug as I have several accessories that I currently use a kayak power box with. Not sure where to drill or mount a panel.
I have a couple Anderson connectors in the bed of my truck. My truck is built for overlanding, so I need to powers 50L ARB refrigerator.

I ran mine behind my Ram-boxes. There was a OEM penetration, I used to pull the lines in.

Be sure to use the proper AWG. I would also recommend a fuze as close to the battery as is reasonable, to protect from ground short. Don’t rely on the fuze protecting your device. They serve different purposes.

Sigfla

Reaction score
I upload a photo if you like.
Would love to see your setup. I don’t have ram boxes however. Another guy suggested I use my stock led holes since I don’t have them. I bought a triple 12v panel off Amazon that’s 5.9 inches long. Hopefully it fits in that area and all I have to do is remove the plugs. I am gonna run it off my auxbeam box and fuse it there. I figured a 30 amp but that might be too much.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.png
    IMG_0799.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 14

Sigfla

Reaction score
I have a 12v freezer fridge as well and I would also like to power my dog box fans. Ideally I really wish I had a decent size inverter with a plug back there but honestly I don’t have anything to run off it but I like the idea of having the option

Sigfla

Reaction score
So here is where I am. I ended up adding the factory LEDs via the mopar bed light thread on here. I found a nice spot to the left of the drivers side led that I can mount my 12v panel to. By removing the taillight I have access to the back of the panel. I bought a Bosch hole saw that I can remove the center bit to align my hole location then reinstall the drill bit. I did rewire 1 panel already with 12 AWG wire vs the 16 AWG it came with. I also used better quality spade connectors and where I needed to double up I used nice T-taps. I added a water proof fuse holder behind the panel with a 15 amp fuse. This will all run up to my auxbeam switch. My only question now is if I should try and run a single 30 amp line from the auxbeam switch to a distribution buss under the bed and connect from there instead? I can buy a 500 amp waterproof negative and positive buss box and mount them close to the aux 12v source so I only have to run 1 line and can connect off the buss for any future 12v accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/