5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12V power outlet for rear seats

Georgf

Reaction score
My Ram has only one 12V power outlet on the dashboard. If i need power on the back I really must get cable through all cabin from the dash outlet? Anybody know is there prewired point, I could add another outlet near back seats? Or i need install new cable by myself?

Georgf

Reaction score

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
fascinating, i've never seen a usb > 12v device nor thought that it would be a good idea... and from my electrical background, it's not.

.8amp max (meaning less than 1amp even for startup load) is pitiful, I'd hope it's internally protected not to blow your usb port.

on the note of the "ion generator" is it one of those 12v stick things w/a blue light in it? because that doesn't generate anything useful (do your research), if you want to protect against covid in the truck beyond a mask, get a UV / hepa air filter system and plug it into the trucks 120v outlet

Georgf

Reaction score
fascinating, i've never seen a usb > 12v device nor thought that it would be a good idea... and from my electrical background, it's not.

.8amp max (meaning less than 1amp even for startup load) is pitiful, I'd hope it's internally protected not to blow your usb port.

on the note of the "ion generator" is it one of those 12v stick things w/a blue light in it? because that doesn't generate anything useful (do your research), if you want to protect against covid in the truck beyond a mask, get a UV / hepa air filter system and plug it into the trucks 120v outlet
Ion generator=ozone generator=plasma generator is really helpful item, must kill virus in your car. There is high voltage inside, to make (+)ion from air, I use it in my home many years, like a part of 3 stage air cleaner: hepa+UV+ion. Panasonic made good one for home, also has a car model https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-...554138&hash=item2afb8d6b32:g:aa0AAOSww2Zf9G~C
Sharp also have the same item https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-Plas...449c8dcb6048f23f9d84|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
About USB to 12V converter agree with you, the best way is install 12V outlet with separate fusable cable.

saylor

Reaction score
im here but for a different reason. thought i would like to relocate the 12v from the dash its in a poor location.

the 12v power port used to shut off with key off in the older model trucks, but this one stays on. is there a way to make it key off or a timer controlling it somewhere?

Georgf

Reaction score
im here but for a different reason. thought i would like to relocate the 12v from the dash its in a poor location.

the 12v power port used to shut off with key off in the older model trucks, but this one stays on. is there a way to make it key off or a timer controlling it somewhere?
You can choose will it be switched or unswitched by relocating Fuse F54 in internal power distribution center under steering wheel, see picture.

Attachments

• 8035D00A-F3B7-42AA-9C95-DDF4CB03596B.png
    8035D00A-F3B7-42AA-9C95-DDF4CB03596B.png
    356 KB · Views: 93

saylor

Reaction score
wow georgf. thanks. is that in our online manual somewhere? these trucks have turned into computers . . . is there an "FSM" field service manual or is all the technical online these days?

Georgf

Reaction score
wow georgf. thanks. is that in our online manual somewhere? these trucks have turned into computers . . . is there an "FSM" or is all the technical online these days?
Yes, it wrote in manual, but i found this info here, on forum first ).

Georgf

Reaction score
Here is foto of Fuses

Attachments

• E922A6BE-7D78-4DE0-84DF-CA568C0F5EA2.png
    E922A6BE-7D78-4DE0-84DF-CA568C0F5EA2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
wow georgf. thanks. is that in our online manual somewhere? these trucks have turned into computers . . . is there an "FSM" field service manual or is all the technical online these days?
Yes, it's in the manual. What's not is that it is in the inside fuse box, which requires you to take a couple screws out of the bolster under the steering wheel for access.

saylor

Reaction score
im headed that way here in a couple of days to hard wire in my radar detector and goof with those 12VDC outlet fuses.
... being that they have seperate fuses for straight BATT or IGN in my small mind implies its different circuits i.e. im gonna hijack one for something else.

WRH

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same. I want to add a 12 Volt Cig adapter to the back of the console. There is a plastic cap on the back of the panel, seems like it would be easy to pop that out, add the outlet, then fish the wire through the console and tap into the breakers under the steering wheel. Anyone else tried this yet? Any catches? How'd it work out for those of you that did this?

Georgf

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same. I want to add a 12 Volt Cig adapter to the back of the console. There is a plastic cap on the back of the panel, seems like it would be easy to pop that out, add the outlet, then fish the wire through the console and tap into the breakers under the steering wheel. Anyone else tried this yet? Any catches? How'd it work out for those of you that did this?
I haven't installed the power outlet yet, but according to the photo, the back of the console should be easy to remove.

Attachments

• 68724FA2-135C-4108-B195-550B9DEBD5CC.jpeg
    68724FA2-135C-4108-B195-550B9DEBD5CC.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 87A698DC-BF1E-4B48-873B-6FCB4C72B902.jpeg
    87A698DC-BF1E-4B48-873B-6FCB4C72B902.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 82

Jlr6986

Reaction score
Good idea, thanks! Will try it. Want install air purifier with ion generator in my Ram, to protect against COVID :)
Medic here, it's literally impossible for Covid-19 to be transmitted through your A/C system. But I absolutely understand about wanting to purify the cabin air. Best advice I can give is to check the cabin air filter monthly and keep that sucker clean!

Roadtrain32

Reaction score
Can I remove just the rear of the console without removing the whole console?
Pictures aren't real clear on my old phone.thanks

Users who are viewing this thread