5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 volt power supply on the top of dash question

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
Ok so on my "19 Laramie the 12 volt on the top of the dash was switched hot, on my new "22 Longhorn it is constant hot.
Is there any way to change this or does it need to be rewired?
Thanks

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I believe there is a fuse you can relocate to make it switched. Maybe in the manual or I think I saw a youtube video recently on this subject.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Eighty, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Move from postion 1 to position 2 correct?
Yeah, it’s just flipping the outer leg of the fuse over.

PepperellFF

Reaction score
Ok so on my "19 Laramie the 12 volt on the top of the dash was switched hot, on my new "22 Longhorn it is constant hot.
Is there any way to change this or does it need to be rewired?
Thanks
On my 19 bighorn it is always hot.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2020 Rebel it’s always on, I noticed that when I set up my dash cams, one facing forward and one facing rear.
It’s good to know that it’s an option to have it switched.

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
On my 2020 Rebel it’s always on, I noticed that when I set up my dash cams, one facing forward and one facing rear.
It’s good to know that it’s an option to have it switched.
I use mine for a radar detector, dont want to leave it on all night to drain the battery

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use mine for a radar detector, dont want to leave it on all night to drain the battery
Radar detectors are illegal in Canada, is it not in USA?

The dash cams I bought don’t have an off button so they record all the time if plugged in, it could come handy while I’m not in the truck and get a hit an run situation, they record in HD onto a 16 Gb micro SD card and records over the old when full, I think it’s around 2 hours. I bought two more 256 Gb cards at Digikey.ca for under $7 each, my guess would be 32 hrs of continuous recording. The power consumption should be minimal, it’s all digital recording, no moving mechanical parts like the old VHS recorders.

My wife and I are planing trips starting near springtime, hopefully Florida, Covid-19 permitting, then Newfoundland in the summer towing our small travel trailer, many miles so the dash cam could become helpful. We both recently retired and are excited about travelling and not having the worries with time restrictions.

Another advantage of power on outlet is a cell phone or other small devices could be charged while the truck is off.

Attachments

• 3589B190-FBA0-413F-B317-10D7867E86DE.jpeg
    3589B190-FBA0-413F-B317-10D7867E86DE.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CAF4F880-6597-4F2B-AFD2-5752C0C0F6A5.jpeg
    CAF4F880-6597-4F2B-AFD2-5752C0C0F6A5.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 14

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
Radar detectors are illegal in Canada, is it not in USA?

The dash cams I bought don’t have an off button so they record all the time if plugged in, it could come handy while I’m not in the truck and get a hit an run situation, they record in HD onto a 16 Gb micro SD card and records over the old when full, I think it’s around 2 hours. I bought two more 256 Gb cards at Digikey.ca for under $7 each, my guess would be 32 hrs of continuous recording. The power consumption should be minimal, it’s all digital recording, no moving mechanical parts like the old VHS recorders.

My wife and I are planing trips starting near springtime, hopefully Florida, Covid-19 permitting, then Newfoundland in the summer towing our small travel trailer, many miles so the dash cam could become helpful. We both recently retired and are excited about travelling and not having the worries with time restrictions.

Another advantage of power on outlet is a cell phone or other small devices could be charged while the truck is off.
Radar detectors are legal in most States, and for some reason my phone seems to charge faster using the 110 outlet in console

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Radar detectors are legal in most States, and for some reason my phone seems to charge faster using the 110 outlet in console
Are radar detectors even worth it anymore? I think most cops around me at least have the laser scanners you need a whole different system to fight against those lol.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Canadian trucks but my USB ports are active (have power for charging) for 1 or 2 hours after you turn off the truck (I don't remember if it's 1 hour or 2).

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Canadian trucks but my USB ports are active (have power for charging) for 1 or 2 hours after you turn off the truck (I don't remember if it's 1 hour or 2).
So much to learn on this forum, I will have to check if mine are powered.
Thank you for letting me know.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are radar detectors even worth it anymore? I think most cops around me at least have the laser scanners you need a whole different system to fight against those lol.
Very few laser traps between MD and FL. seen some tho.
Running waze and a rd is about as good as it gets, or just keep to the speed limit :rolleyes:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Very few laser traps between MD and FL. seen some tho.
Running waze and a rd is about as good as it gets, or just keep to the speed limit :rolleyes:
Interesting, I would think anything they can do to increase revenue they'd be all over haha.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There was a massive reduction of police presence on I-95 after the pandemic hit.
Before, a trooper every 50 miles or so, after, saw two on my way to st pete. Now they are coming out again.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
There was a massive reduction of police presence on I-95 after the pandemic hit.
Before, a trooper every 50 miles or so, after, saw two on my way to st pete. Now they are coming out again.
Oh wow, I haven't driven down I-95 in a couple years now. Used to drive to NC or SC all the time but haven't lately. Certainly don't miss planning around DC traffic lol.

Users who are viewing this thread