5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Uconnect - Why?

dn325ci

Reaction score
Guys, I'm just getting ready to order a Laramie Sport with all the fixins and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm torn on the 12" Uconnect, which is funny because I'm usually a tech guy. It's not a money thing - I have no problem with the price/cost if it has value. But I really like having physical buttons for climate, and further, I don't like manipulating pages of stuff that have no tactile feel, and therefore I have to take my eyes of the road and refocus to find the button. And every one of them I've seen so far looks like a grimy fingerprint mess when the truck is off. So I'm wondering what you guys like & dislike, and I'm wondering what you typically have/show on the bottom half of the screen.

Thanks!
Don

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with your instinct. I'm a button guy too. I love the layout of the 8.4nav dash, very classy for a truck. The 12.1 is impressive, but I agree with you, I think you would miss the buttons.

Just wait for the tidal wave of happy 12.1 owners preaching of it's "wow" factor... sure, for a while. Then you're spending a fortune on screen cleaner and yelling at your wife for having greasy fingers... lol... you know.

Joker4L

Reaction score
Simply put.... WHY NOT???

I love my 12in screen. Not only is it a wow factor but the quality of the display is stunning. I have had zero issues with it. I have my radio displayed up top and then the bottom I change between climate and navigation.

Whenever I do change my ac and don't want to let go of the steering wheel, I just press the voice button and speak adn it changes it to whatever I want. Other than that I just leave it on Auto and forget about it.

Jstadick

Reaction score
I love it. The signature part of the interior. Not withstanding a few minor software problems here and there (as with all software and they release over the air updates to resolve), the functionality is awesome. The on screen climate controls work great but you still have the physical buttons to use on the side. At first I used the physical buttons more out of habit, but I now use the screen controls more.

Functionality is also great experience with navigation and media, like SXM. Having the addition real estate makes all the difference in the world.

As for the fingerprints, I added a screen protector that helps a lot.

I can't imagine having the smaller screen. As a matter of fact when I get in my wife's Porsche, I'm like "what's with the crappy little screen" :cool:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 12" is one of the reasons I went Ram. I absolutely agree with you on buttons over touch screens, especially in cars but I LOVE Android Auto split screen with another 8" screen below it. I was hesitant about the lack of some buttons but all of the climate controls have physical buttons so that really left the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel.

But, Ram did a cool thing. When you start it up the screen with those controls displays along with the legal BS screen long enough for you to tap anything you want before it switches to your last screen. It's a great compromise.

You do still have to tap that one to turn off heated seats or wheel vs. a hard button but the other capabilities of the 12" (especially nav and split screen) outweigh those for me.

I rarely see it with the screen off so there are no fingerprints.

fastarget

Reaction score
it will be a big selling point, wife and kids got into the truck for the test drive , looked at that screen and said, "we need to buy this one"......why should Tesla have all the neat toys.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gehhh, this may ruffle some feathers buttttt, you certainly wont miss anything by not getting the 12 inch screen. I have it, it is the center of attention for anyone that sees the truck. I came from the 8.4 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it....the 12 inch screen just does all of the 8.4 things...twice. The only thing that fills it up is the Nav, which DOES look awesome but....doesn't make the navigation any more navigationy. You can bet the next Ford truck will have a super sized screen and it will become the standard among top trims, so preparing for the future may go into your decision making. Either way, you cant go wrong but I wouldn't say it's a "must" and I do fumble around trying to find the right climate control buttons

sass

Reaction score
Here’s my opinion and question. Do you have a cell phone? Is it a keyed old school phone or a fancy smartphone? If it’s the first go with the smaller screen... if it’s the latter do the 12”. I love my 12” and the reason I got a limited vs a rebel for the most part.

Have fun with your choice!

-sass

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gehhh, this may ruffle some feathers buttttt, you certainly wont miss anything by not getting the 12 inch screen. I have it, it is the center of attention for anyone that sees the truck. I came from the 8.4 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it....the 12 inch screen just does all of the 8.4 things...twice. The only thing that fills it up is the Nav, which DOES look awesome but....doesn't make the navigation any more navigationy. You can bet the next Ford truck will have a super sized screen and it will become the standard among top trims, so preparing for the future may go into your decision making. Either way, you cant go wrong but I wouldn't say it's a "must" and I do fumble around trying to find the right climate control buttons

Word of the day - "navigationy." :p

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife and I do like my 12”! Lol, anyway, At first was somewhat cautious of getting it for all the reasons you have all mentioned. I was use to the smaller screens in previous Rams and Fords. However, now that I have had it awhile I absolutely love it. Once you get use to using the screen it really is quite simple for all it does. I could do it blindfolded now.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
A must have in my opinion, I will admit it is not without its irritating glitches but I would not trade it . It is the signature piece in this interior.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I too like buttons, but really like the screen and I've gotten used to it quickly.

The only button I wish was easier to access was turning the heated steering wheel off! It's only two touches away to being off though, so it really isn't bad.

The surround camera looks awesome on it, and I use it far more than I thought I would.

Ranchram

Reaction score
I too like buttons, but really like the screen and I've gotten used to it quickly.

The only button I wish was easier to access was turning the heated steering wheel off! It's only two touches away to being off though, so it really isn't bad.

The surround camera looks awesome on it, and I use it far more than I thought I would.
I had the same issue with the heated steering wheel as it heats up so quickly and usually I want to turn it off after a few minutes. I made the heated steering wheel icon one the quick access buttons on the screen bottom to toggle it off and on.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full

I'll say I'm on the other side. I had the 8.4 (previous gen) in my Durango and I absolutely love the we inch, even with it's software gremlins occasionally. With all the A/ C buttons on the side, 98 % of what I use daily is right there and you'll absolutely love 12 inch navigation.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full

I'll say I'm on the other side. I had the 8.4 (previous gen) in my Durango and I absolutely love the we inch, even with it's software gremlins occasionally. With all the A/ C buttons on the side, 98 % of what I use daily is right there and you'll absolutely love 12 inch navigation.

Yeah, bad news to the OP...you’re gonna need the footlong. :eek:

I wrote my original response at the office, then got in my truck to drive home and marveled at the screen. I think the issue is that now that this screen exist...nothing else is as good. So every time you get in someone else’s truck with the 12”, you will regret not getting it.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I am having the same issue too.

Everyone talks about how great it is having navigation on the 12" screen, but I would never preferentially use RAM navigation over Apple or Google Maps.

A big thing for me is being able to see my audio track name while also running CarPlay navigation. My F-150 can't do that. In the RAM, I can put the audio track name in the instrument cluster, and navigation on the screen, so while the tech geek in me really wants the 12", the 8 inch is probably much more usable on a day to day basis.

If there was a way to run 2 separate CarPlay apps on both top AND bottom at the same time (Spotify + Apple Maps), the 12" would be a no-brainer, but you can't.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m usually a tech guy too but passed on wanting a big screen this time. I’ve had many aftermarket head units in past vehicles and even installed computers in a couple of them. After the initial wow factor, it just becomes a source of audio / control. As long as it sounds good, you’re happy and what it looks like or size doesn’t matter.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m usually a tech guy too but passed on wanting a big screen this time. I’ve had many aftermarket head units in past vehicles and even installed computers in a couple of them. After the initial wow factor, it just becomes a source of audio / control. As long as it sounds good, you’re happy and what it looks like or size doesn’t matter.

Now come on.....who's ever heard size doesn't matter :eek::p:D sorry I couldnt resist...I'll go stand in the corner now.

Users who are viewing this thread