5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Uconnect issues all of a sudden?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with their Uconnect recently? I've owned this truck for almost a year now and the screen ran flawless up until the last couple weeks. Now it'll be completely unresponsive to touch and flash black every minute or two. There have been a couple trips where it works fine, so I figured the shut down period fixed it, but then it'll act up again the next day. So frustrating. What's the point in having a truck with a bunch of options (heated/air conditioned seats, apple carplay etc) when you can't use them cause the Uconnect is malfunctioning.

Solutions? Should I unplug the negative cable on the battery for a bit? Or is that pretty much the same as the truck going to sleep fully overnight?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That "might" help but it sounds like a HW issue to me. If it is still under warranty I would drive to the dealer with it not working and have the diagnose it. It's too expensive to just live with it.

doolin64

Reaction score
I'm not having issues at the moment. But I saw this displayed at the bottomr of my screen two days ago.

Attachments

• 20210106_170927.jpg
    20210106_170927.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 104

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I think it’s time to visit the dealer. No one should have to deal with these issues on a new truck.

singlerail

Reaction score
ok, I did a soft reboot of the uconnect, and also a reboot of my iphone, message is now gone...

stronbl

Reaction score
ok, I did a soft reboot of the uconnect, and also a reboot of my iphone, message is now gone...
For future reference (I hope I never need it), how did you do a soft reboot on uconnect? Thanks.

singlerail

Reaction score
For future reference (I hope I never need it), how did you do a soft reboot on uconnect? Thanks.
push power , and tune button's for aprox 20 seconds together, screen goes black, then logo re-appears as it boots up

greg48

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with their Uconnect recently? I've owned this truck for almost a year now and the screen ran flawless up until the last couple weeks. Now it'll be completely unresponsive to touch and flash black every minute or two. There have been a couple trips where it works fine, so I figured the shut down period fixed it, but then it'll act up again the next day. So frustrating. What's the point in having a truck with a bunch of options (heated/air conditioned seats, apple carplay etc) when you can't use them cause the Uconnect is malfunctioning.

Solutions? Should I unplug the negative cable on the battery for a bit? Or is that pretty much the same as the truck going to sleep fully overnight?
My 12" Uconnect on 2019 ram laramie worked fine until last week after 1 year old. one morning navigation was just lost. compass wrong. gps coordinates off about 200 miles. took to local dealer who told me my radio is broke. i responded that my radio was fine but navigation was lost. dealer repeated radio was broke. dealer said radio is broke we'll call you. i asked if any idea on eta? we'll call you. wow!

JLaw297

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They're ordering a new radio and touch screen. They did a software update on the spot with no luck in fixing the unresponsive screen. Going to replace the radio first to see if that fixes it and if not they'll have the touch screen as a back up. Kind of worries me long term I'm already having this issue at 36k miles on a 2019 truck.

I also was shocked that they were hem and hawing whether or not it would be warranty. Guy asked me if I had an extended warranty (which I do, but not through FCA). But let's be real, the truck is less than 3 years old, has 36,456 miles and your trying to decide if your going to eat a part that allows you to sell this truck for 60k!? Unreal. Without the touch screen working there goes all the options they up-charge for.. heated seats, cooled seats, back up camera, overhead camera, heated steering wheel, Navagation, bluetooth/apple car play capability. Without the touchscreen I'm basically driving a base model ram with a Hemi and Leather seats!

scudda

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They're ordering a new radio and touch screen. They did a software update on the spot with no luck in fixing the unresponsive screen. Going to replace the radio first to see if that fixes it and if not they'll have the touch screen as a back up. Kind of worries me long term I'm already having this issue at 36k miles on a 2019 truck.

I also was shocked that they were hem and hawing whether or not it would be warranty. Guy asked me if I had an extended warranty (which I do, but not through FCA). But let's be real, the truck is less than 3 years old, has 36,456 miles and your trying to decide if your going to eat a part that allows you to sell this truck for 60k!? Unreal. Without the touch screen working there goes all the options they up-charge for.. heated seats, cooled seats, back up camera, overhead camera, heated steering wheel, Navagation, bluetooth/apple car play capability. Without the touchscreen I'm basically driving a base model ram with a Hemi and Leather seats!
I’m on 34k with no extended warranty. I’ve had the manifold replaced, side mirrors and front left headlight went out. This was all replaced under warranty without issue but for some reason the dealer seems hesitant to say the screen may need to be replaced.

JLaw297

Reaction score
I’m on 34k with no extended warranty. I’ve had the manifold replaced, side mirrors and front left headlight went out. This was all replaced under warranty without issue but for some reason the dealer seems hesitant to say the screen may need to be replaced.
They're waiting for you to hit just over 36k miles before they say it needs to be replaced so you get stuck with the bill.

scudda

Reaction score
They're waiting for you to hit just over 36k miles before they say it needs to be replaced so you get stuck with the bill.
Lets hope that doesn’t happen or I’ll have to trade for a Ford

gtxdana

Reaction score

Sounds like you've had much better luck getting your truck repaired than I have. With only 3K miles on my 2020 FCA pretty much told me to f off. Nearest dealer goes out of their way to discourage me from trying to get my truck repaired. They demand I leave my truck for a month, or more, for repair. No rental car, no calls returned, etc. No coincidence, I'm sure, that I've never received any new vehicle or warranty surveys from either dealer.

Styxbb

Reaction score
I guesstimate that my 12" screen is responsive about 60% of the time. I can get in my truck and it's not working. Sometimes I drive for 10 minutes and it works, sometimes not. I've had it in 3 times. They have "updated" the software each time. I seems to help for a little while, then starts acting up again. I wonder if there is a low temperature at which it stops working.

Turaco

Reaction score
Lets hope that doesn’t happen or I’ll have to trade for a Ford
Do you think ford is dying to replace your truck parts under warranty?
I guesstimate that my 12" screen is responsive about 60% of the time. I can get in my truck and it's not working. Sometimes I drive for 10 minutes and it works, sometimes not. I've had it in 3 times. They have "updated" the software each time. I seems to help for a little while, then starts acting up again. I wonder if there is a low temperature at which it stops working.
The dealers get direction from FCA, and it appears they are doing some kind of update before throwing in the towel and replacing the expensive 12” screen/unit. Unfortunately people running to the dealer and demanding new units doesnt mean they will replace it. It’s tough understanding what is going on without diagnosing the issue. There’s other threads on this where posters claim their units were magically fixed in their own, lol.
They’re not waiting for anything, dealer get’s paid either way. Warranties are time/mileage driven. If there is a documented issue within warranty that persists shortly after warranty, the dealer will replace it. If they don’t, you need to service your vehicle at another dealer.

scudda

Reaction score
I was told an over the air update will be released by the end of this quarter to fix this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/