5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Uconnect Head Unit Replaced XM Issues

Bluesuitmatt

Reaction score
I own a 2019 1500 Limited.

I had a defective 12 inch head unit that my dealer happily replaced for for me under factory warranty. The problem is that means the XM identification information in the unit changes. I have spoken with XMGuardian about what needs to happen to get the updated info attached to my VIN. They told me that my dealer would have to open a "star case". With the exception to the immediate replacement of the head unit, my dealership is pretty sad. I've been trying since August to get this done and no one has been able to help me at my dealership including the service writer who is supposed to be the one who opens the star case I believe. I believe it is because they havent done it before. Let's face it not a lot of us pay obscene amounts to use the Guardian portion of the system. Several calls to XMGUARDIAN and escalation of the problem at the dealership were done. I live in Atlanta. There's several dealerships to choose from so I went to another. They told me they knew how to open the "star case" but would not do it because they did not put in the radio. They told me that I should go back to the first dealership.

Long story short. I have been to 2 dealerships. One doesn't know how to do it and the other basically refused to help. Then I called @RamCares who was supposed to to call me back Tuesday, but..

I need to update my VIN with the new IMEI number on the new head unit for XMGuardian identication. That's all that needs to be done.

Any experience advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Renagade69

Reaction score
The dealer failed you. You need another dealer to do it. The dealer that installed the new screen didn't complete the job and I would get another dealer to complete the programming part. Let them know this will be the second time at the same repair. The third will be a lemon case.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I own a 2019 1500 Limited.

I had a defective 12 inch head unit that my dealer happily replaced for for me under factory warranty. The problem is that means the XM identification information in the unit changes. I have spoken with XMGuardian about what needs to happen to get the updated info attached to my VIN. They told me that my dealer would have to open a "star case". With the exception to the immediate replacement of the head unit, my dealership is pretty sad. I've been trying since August to get this done and no one has been able to help me at my dealership including the service writer who is supposed to be the one who opens the star case I believe. I believe it is because they havent done it before. Let's face it not a lot of us pay obscene amounts to use the Guardian portion of the system. Several calls to XMGUARDIAN and escalation of the problem at the dealership were done. I live in Atlanta. There's several dealerships to choose from so I went to another. They told me they knew how to open the "star case" but would not do it because they did not put in the radio. They told me that I should go back to the first dealership.

Long story short. I have been to 2 dealerships. One doesn't know how to do it and the other basically refused to help. Then I called @RamCares who was supposed to to call me back Tuesday, but..

I need to update my VIN with the new IMEI number on the new head unit for XMGuardian identication. That's all that needs to be done.

Any experience advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
The dealer failed you. You need another dealer to do it. The dealer that installed the new screen didn't complete the job and I would get another dealer to complete the programming part. Let them know this will be the second time at the same repair. The third will be a lemon case.
I agree with @Renagade69 that the dealer failed you. Luckily I, like you live in an area with many dealers and can chose who to use if one lets me down or shows ignorance Like yours has to you. I definitely wouldn’t be going back to that dealer once you get this taken care of. Have you tried discussing this with the Dealership Manager?

Users who are viewing this thread