5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Screen Side Buttons

warri

Reaction score
So while driving my truck this morning I Realized the side buttons on the uconnect screen have LEDs behind them to make them visible at night. However when in daylight and screen brightness is up, the LEDs turn off. Which in certain situations makes those buttons unreadable.

Does anyone know how to change those button light settings? Maybe so they are on all the time and their brightness fluctuates better with the screen?

Attached is a picture of the buttons on question. PXL_20210126_125255003.jpg

Kilroy

Reaction score
They come on with the rest of the dash light and ambient lights. Just to clarify are you saying in the daylight hours they are not clearly visible because of the light behind them? Also, you have two controls on the left side of the wheel on the dash, I found that there is not a lot of variance between bright and dim, and you can turn the control all the way on, and the dash lights all go to their brightest setting (as well as the media display). Doe that help? (Page 55 of the owners manual)

warri

Reaction score
Yea, so it really seems like the ambient lighting Dial brightness doesn't impact them much at all. When in direct sunlight its almost impossible to see the icons on the buttons regardless if Lights are on or off

warri

Reaction score
Yea, so it really seems like the ambient lighting Dial brightness doesn't impact them much at all. When in direct sunlight its almost impossible to see the icons on the buttons regardless if Lights are on or off
Though Much easier to read with the Lights on, however I Can't seem to figure out how to keep them on.

Kilroy

Reaction score
Though Much easier to read with the Lights on, however I Can't seem to figure out how to keep them on.
well the wheel turned all the way up high should click and then the lights should be on full brightness. I suspect part of the issue is that the surface of the buttons is glossy making them more prone to reflect light too.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ambient lighting control does NOT effect the dash lighting...it is the other control that does ;) However, with that being said, I am struggling to understand your issue during the day. I have never heard a complaint that someone couldn't read the symbols on the buttons during the day in normal light. I have never had an issue in my 19 or my 21.

warri

Reaction score
The ambient lighting control does NOT effect the dash lighting...it is the other control that does ;) However, with that being said, I am struggling to understand your issue during the day. I have never heard a complaint that someone couldn't read the symbols on the buttons during the day in normal light. I have never had an issue in my 19 or my 21.
I believe its mainly cause they are glossy, so the sunlight reflects and I can't "read" what the button is. Overtime this probably wont be an issue since I'll have muscle memory of what the controls do.

Users who are viewing this thread