5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Screen Protector

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I'm guessing you have it installed already? How long did it take for shipping? Quote is about a month out for delivery...

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never thought about one. I've had maybe 10 or so vehicles with nav/infotainment screens and have never scratched one. Not sure how needed they are. Of course, I never use them on my smartphones either. Suppose it can't hurt as long as everything functions.

zignice

Reaction score
I never thought about one. I've had maybe 10 or so vehicles with nav/infotainment screens and have never scratched one. Not sure how needed they are. Of course, I never use them on my smartphones either. Suppose it can't hurt as long as everything functions.
I never used to use them, until I dropped the phone one day. It was covered under Apple Care, but the long trip to the Apple store and waiting in line made me wish I had a $14 screen protector. Wife drooped one as well with a protector. Cracked the protection screen like crazy, but no harm to the phone. I figure it's worth the $14. If anything ever scratches that big screen it will be big bucks to fix.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't buy one for scratches, but rather to prevent wear patterns on frequency touched areas. I had a Cadillac with the CUE system and wore down the areas I most commonly hit - skip song, audio input etc. The screen finish ends up wearing off and it looks like permanent smudge marks.

With a protector, if that happens, just pop the old one off and throw a new one on.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a screen protector on my Uconnect 8.4 for the same reasons Grits meantioned. After 5 years, the screen is pristine. Also, my wife is pretty careless and will scratch whatever she touches. Meow! Lol.

klail

Reaction score
I am definitely late to this party. Since we are now a few months down the road, do you still like your screen protectors?
I just got my screen protector as well. Now I just need a truck
Mine arrives tomorrow (screen protector)
Got one on Amazon. Fits perfectly, easy install. Clear, touch sensitive perfect... Note: take LED or other bright light, shine from side on screen before attaching protection. Do this while cleaning with lint free cloth. You can see the dust particles. Helps installation.
Found a screen protector on Amazon. Works perfectly and you don't even notice it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CM2HXFJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

klail

Reaction score
Just ordered the Amazon tempered glass protector. I'll see how it works.
Thanks! Keep me updated. I am mainly looking at the benefits of fewer fingerprints. Also, I am hoping someone who has had theirs installed for the better part of the year, have you had any discoloration in time with the heat of summer?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! Keep me updated. I am mainly looking at the benefits of fewer fingerprints. Also, I am hoping someone who has had theirs installed for the better part of the year, have you had any discoloration in time with the heat of summer?
I'm sure the tempered glass is the same stuff that is used with cellphones. I've been using them for years. I've never noticed any discoloration. If the glass is polarized, you may notice some strangeness when wearing polarized sunglasses. As far as finger prints, tempered glass is no better than the unprotected screen. The main advantage I see is that I will be able to wipe down the screen without worrying about damaging the surface of the original screen. If I scratch the protector, I'm out 13 bucks. It's a sacrificial barrier.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got mine. Here's what comes in the package:

1 - tempered glass
1 - package of wipes
1 - suction cup

I'll install it this evening.

Attachments

• 20190220_125113.jpg
    20190220_125113.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 17

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Had mine since July - no issues to speak of, but I do have window tint.

Users who are viewing this thread