5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Screen or Center Console?

bigwidge

Reaction score
This might sound weird to some, but I'm torn between the 12" screen (with a fold down console) or a center console (with an 8.4" screen) for my *hopefully* future Ram 1500. I'd love to say I could afford both, but both seem to put me in a truck price I wouldn't be comfortable with. Comparing the middle console to a 12" screen might seem odd, but I'm a techy and the big screen really appeals to me.

My previous trucks (making the big move from Silverados) always had a bench seat up front. But the USB-C placement on the new trucks seem really nice to have my cables all run straight to my phone, instead of leaping across from the entertainment system to the fold-down seat.

Still looking for an option in my price range with both, but for now I'll appeal the idea with the options I have!

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
What option would you get the most use out of. If I was me and I had to choose I would go center console the 8.4 has all the tech I would need

bigwidge

Reaction score
I love my 12 inch display... I am glad I got it..

I appreciate the input! The 12" screen really has the 'wow' factor, and I love the split screen concept. It will be exciting to see how Apple's Carplay update will be now that they are adding the ability to adapt to larger screens. But then again, this might be something RAM will have to enable for UConnect?

bigwidge

Reaction score
What option would you get the most use out of. If I was me and I had to choose I would go center console the 8.4 has all the tech I would need

I wish it were that easy! In my Silverado now, I always seem to be tinkering with my head unit for Carplay, music, nav, etc. But you're definitely correct in saying that the 8.4" has everything I would need in tech.

jastevenson

Reaction score
The 12 is sexy but the 8.4 is probably functionally superior. I want the 8.4 but every truck over 50k seems to have the 12 unless you special order.

jastevenson

Reaction score
How is the 8.4 functionally superior?

Hard buttons and knobs are more efficient than a touchscreen. For example, let’s say I want to turn on seat heaters. One touch vs 2, and can be done without looking at the screen.

Navigation on 12 screen much better, but CarPlay doesn’t fill the screen so it’s no better than the 8.4 if you are running Spotify or Apple maps.

50Front

Reaction score
Hard buttons and knobs are more efficient than a touchscreen. For example, let’s say I want to turn on seat heaters. One touch vs 2, and can be done without looking at the screen.

Navigation on 12 screen much better, but CarPlay doesn’t fill the screen so it’s no better than the 8.4 if you are running Spotify or Apple maps.
I'm not sure why they didn't put hard button for the heated/cooled seats since there are knobs or buttons for everything else with the 12 inch screen. Strange they left these couple of button out since there is room at the top of screen for few more buttons. But this is a minor issue compared to the advantages of the large screen. Besides the cool factor, having both the nav and radio on screen at the same time is great. Also, nav in full screen mode allows you see much futher up the road without having to zoom way out. I dont use Carplay so didnt realize it doesnt take advantage of the large screen, maybe with a future software update.

bigwidge

Reaction score
I'm not sure why they didn't put hard button for the heated/cooled seats since there are knobs or buttons for everything else with the 12 inch screen. Strange they left these couple of button out since there is room at the top of screen for few more buttons. But this is a minor issue compared to the advantages of the large screen. Besides the cool factor, having both the nav and radio on screen at the same time is great. Also, nav in full screen mode allows you see much futher up the road without having to zoom way out. I dont use Carplay so didnt realize it doesnt take advantage of the large screen, maybe with a future software update.

This might become a reality! iOS 13's update for Carplay is expected to introduce the ability to adapt to larger screens. i.e. maaaaybe we could get full screen nav? Long shot, but hey I'm a dreamer.

jastevenson

Reaction score
This might become a reality! iOS 13's update for Carplay is expected to introduce the ability to adapt to larger screens. i.e. maaaaybe we could get full screen nav? Long shot, but hey I'm a dreamer.

Yeah I am really hoping so too about the CarPlay in iOS 13 but I’d be surprised if they did. I am certain it would require some software changes on RAMs end too, and unlike Tesla, the traditional manufacturers aren’t into constantly upgrading their software to add functionality, only fix glitches.

bigwidge

Reaction score
Yeah I am really hoping so too about the CarPlay in iOS 13 but I’d be surprised if they did. I am certain it would require some software changes on RAMs end too, and unlike Tesla, the traditional manufacturers aren’t into constantly upgrading their software to add functionality, only fix glitches.

True, but then again you have to think that Carplay lives on your phone, not on the vehicle's entertainment system. So theoretically, Apple should be able to have Carplay detect the screen size and adjust accordingly.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, but then again you have to think that Carplay lives on your phone, not on the vehicle's entertainment system. So theoretically, Apple should be able to have Carplay detect the screen size and adjust accordingly.

The amount of display resolution dedicated to Carplay is on the Uconnect side of things unfortunately. That's how it knows to be the size it is now, Uconnect gives it a spot to fill. In order to change that size spot, there would need to be an update in Uconnect that allows the Carplay app to go full screen. It has nothing to do with Apple.

No name

Reaction score
Here's my question regarding the high tech screen, which screen is functioning? Geesh, we bought a brand new $47k Ram last night and within a few miles of leaving the dealership the whole screen went black. Now I'm seeing all over the Internet that this is a very typical ongoing for years situation with the Ram. Sign me, Seriously Upset

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my question regarding the high tech screen, which screen is functioning? Geesh, we bought a brand new $47k Ram last night and within a few miles of leaving the dealership the whole screen went black. Now I'm seeing all over the Internet that this is a very typical ongoing for years situation with the Ram. Sign me, Seriously Upset
Most of us (myself included) have reported zero problems with the 12” screen; an unlucky few have indicated repeated or ongoing issues.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This happened to me upon delivery (it was dark out) and my wife accidentally hit the screen off button on the lower right of the screen. It may be something that inadvertently happened to you as well.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This happened to me upon delivery (it was dark out) and my wife accidentally hit the screen off button on the lower right of the screen. It may be something that inadvertently happened to you as well.
That's a good point. It is also possible to have the system reboot following an update, even while driving...but that is a rare occurrence.

Reactions: Jtr

Users who are viewing this thread