5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Ply tires

JArnold0921

Reaction score
Looking at buying a set of Kenda Klever R/T in 35x12.5r20. Only thing I can find is either 3 ply or 12 ply. How much would it effect the ride if I went with the 12 ply. I have a 22 1500 quad cab and dont tow much so its not like I really need the 12 ply but also dont want 3 ply if they will be to soft

Ratchet

Reaction score
Compared to what you have on it stock, it's going to be rather stiff. On the other hand, some don't mind the stiffness of 10 or 12 ply tires on a 1500.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can significantly alter the feel of the tires by playing with the air pressure. That being said, it’s worth looking at the tire weights of all versions you’re interested in. Adding (for example) 30lbs per tire of unsprung weight will be very noticeable. If you do solely offroad, then the weight is pretty much a moot point. (Personally I’d go 12-ply for pure offroad)

JArnold0921

Reaction score
Compared to what you have on it stock, it's going to be rather stiff. On the other hand, some don't mind the stiffness of 10 or 12 ply tires on a 1500.
Just trying to make sure the 12 ply isnt overkill. Im ok with a little bit stiffer ride and I like the look of a stiffer sidewall better

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey man just a heads up, you’re confusing their sidewall ply with the actual load rating ply. All of their tires feature their “triple threat 3 ply sidewalls” which is just to say they’re durable. The actual load carrying capacity is F load (12ply). I’d never want F load tires on a light 1500, that sounds terrible. Even E loads (10ply) are overkill for our trucks but sadly most sizes are E load nowadays.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Just trying to make sure the 12 ply isnt overkill. Im ok with a little bit stiffer ride and I like the look of a stiffer sidewall better
On a 1500, it's beyond overkill honestly. There's no way you're going to safely haul enough weight to justify 12ply tires on a 1/2 ton truck. Not fussing at you or arguing by any means. It's your money and you can spend it how you choose. :)

And 100% on that post above via 5thgen.ram

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately, running anything more then a hair or two above the stock SL rated tires your gonna be in LT tires which are gonna be 10-12 ply. I wish tire manufactures would offer more options geared more toward the half ton guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
One option is the Nitto Recon Grappler in 315/60r20 (35x12.50r20). I’ve recommended this on multiple threads simply because it’s the only 35x12.50r20 tire I know that is offered in SL versus an LT (E or F) rating! And it’s crazy lightweight too! If I was running 35s it’s the tire i’d buy 100%. You’ll get a much better ride & better mpg.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One option is the Nitto Recon Grappler in 315/60r20 (35x12.50r20). I’ve recommended this on multiple threads simply because it’s the only 35x12.50r20 tire I know that is offered in SL versus an LT (E or F) rating! And it’s crazy lightweight too! If I was running 35s it’s the tire i’d buy 100%. You’ll get a much better ride & better mpg.

57lbs for a 35 is amazing! Nitto wasn’t even on my shortlist of tires but man almost 48 lbs for a 34 275/65/20 is amazing as well.

Looks like its coming down to either Nitto Recon, Toyo A/T 3, or the heavy Falken wildpeaks that I had on my last ram

Decisions decisions lol wonder how the SL size is gonna be down the road if i decide to get a camper.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
57lbs for a 35 is amazing! Nitto wasn’t even on my shortlist of tires but man almost 48 lbs for a 34 275/65/20 is amazing as well.

Looks like its coming down to either Nitto Recon, Toyo A/T 3, or the heavy Falken wildpeaks that I had on my last ram

Decisions decisions lol wonder how the SL size is gonna be down the road if i decide to get a camper.
I mean out of those 3 I wouldn’t even consider the Falkens simply because they’re heavier and don’t offer any better performance lol. The Toyos are nice too. I personally think the Recon Graps are some of the nicest looking AT/RT tires out there! When you say camper, do you mean an actual camper that sits on the bed? Or a shell? Or a travel trailer? I feel like travel travel or bed cap would be absolutely fine. An actual camper? I don’t even know if our trucks are able to hold one in the bed with our payload lol but if you do I’d definitely get E load tires.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean out of those 3 I wouldn’t even consider the Falkens simply because they’re heavier and don’t offer any better performance lol. The Toyos are nice too. I personally think the Recon Graps are some of the nicest looking AT/RT tires out there! When you say camper, do you mean an actual camper that sits on the bed? Or a shell? Or a travel trailer? I feel like travel travel or bed cap would be absolutely fine. An actual camper? I don’t even know if our trucks are able to hold one in the bed with our payload lol but if you do I’d definitely get E load tires.

Travel trailer lol, only reason I put Wildpeaks on the list again because I knew how they performed from having them on my previous Ram but at the cost of being heavier but wasn’t to many options available back then for what i wanted to run 305/55 but seeing how much lighter and more availability in the 275/65/20 I couldn’t justify going with them over the lighter Toyo or even Recons now.

Trying to stick with the buy once, cry once mentality and not have to worry about tires for the next 2-3 years lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread