5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch screen dark

Tropigator

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have a 2020 Bighorn, 5.7V8, 4x4 crew cab, level2, night edition with only 3000 miles on it. Has been perfect so far (bought in Feb 2020 - only 3000 miles thanks to covid and working from home). Truck sat for 2 months from early March until yesterday while I was traveling and I came back and started up perfect, drove perfect no issues. Today when I started the 12" screen was black, no display at all. If I put in reverse then the back up camera comes on and seems fine, but when I put it in drive it goes dark again. Hmmm. I disconnected battery for 30 seconds, reconnected and then started truck ...magic...screen came back on and all seemed fine. Next time stop and start, dark screen again? Repeated battery disconnect, fixes it, but as soon as I stop and start it is back to dark. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? I am thinking maybe after sitting so long when I drove it the first day a new update may have been downloaded automatically? Is there anyway to see when last update was done? Otherwise I am not sure. It has plenty of warranty left, but hesitate to tale to dealer as last year I did the passive entry addition to this truck using info from this forum (all of that still works perfectly and has for 6 months).
Any help would be appreciated,
Best regards,

Seeker

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have a 2020 Bighorn, 5.7V8, 4x4 crew cab, level2, night edition with only 3000 miles on it. Has been perfect so far (bought in Feb 2020 - only 3000 miles thanks to covid and working from home). Truck sat for 2 months from early March until yesterday while I was traveling and I came back and started up perfect, drove perfect no issues. Today when I started the 12" screen was black, no display at all. If I put in reverse then the back up camera comes on and seems fine, but when I put it in drive it goes dark again. Hmmm. I disconnected battery for 30 seconds, reconnected and then started truck ...magic...screen came back on and all seemed fine. Next time stop and start, dark screen again? Repeated battery disconnect, fixes it, but as soon as I stop and start it is back to dark. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? I am thinking maybe after sitting so long when I drove it the first day a new update may have been downloaded automatically? Is there anyway to see when last update was done? Otherwise I am not sure. It has plenty of warranty left, but hesitate to tale to dealer as last year I did the passive entry addition to this truck using info from this forum (all of that still works perfectly and has for 6 months).
Any help would be appreciated,
Best regards,
Simply disconnect the battery terminals and re-connect 15 minutes later. The dealers won't tell you this because they want the work and income.

lost demon

Reaction score
2019 Rebel 21000 miles. Stopped at a roadside veggy stand shut motor off. It was 98* out but im a consevative. Got back in and started the truck . Lo & behold no 12" screen, radio, air conditioner fan, or electric windows. I'm not shuttin this off cause who knows? Only thing that worked was electric rear window. Doesn't give any breeze even at 75 MPH. Needless to say when I got home I was wetter than a dip in the pool. Shut it off and took a dip in the pool to cool off. 15 minutes later started it up and it acted like nothing happened . ???? Ever happen to anyone else. LOVE MY REBEL.

sep1006

Reaction score
Before going through the trouble of disconnecting the battery cables try this, worked for me.

RunsforScotch

Reaction score
2019 Rebel 21000 miles. Stopped at a roadside veggy stand shut motor off. It was 98* out but im a consevative. Got back in and started the truck . Lo & behold no 12" screen, radio, air conditioner fan, or electric windows. I'm not shuttin this off cause who knows? Only thing that worked was electric rear window. Doesn't give any breeze even at 75 MPH. Needless to say when I got home I was wetter than a dip in the pool. Shut it off and took a dip in the pool to cool off. 15 minutes later started it up and it acted like nothing happened . ???? Ever happen to anyone else. LOVE MY REBEL.
Same issue with my 21 Laramie. Been to the dealer already and they are replacing the radio and related control modules. Well when they get a 12" Uconnect in. It has been two months with no ETA on receiving. I have noticed it happens more frequent on warmer days. Remote starting the truck and letting the AC cool it down has helped here and there, but it's still intermittent. If you go to the dealer, you should have tons of error codes that they will diagnose. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread