5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Good Idea

TwinSac

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new truck with the 12" screen. I realize many more people with complains will make posts compared to happy customes...

Is is a good idea to upgrade to the big screen? I don't really think I'd appreciate all of the level 2 trim but the 12" intrigued me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Saints

Reaction score
To me the 12” is one of the main reasons to get the truck. You have a warranty for a reason. Get what you want!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 8,4" screen. On long trips using navigation I like to zoom out a bit, tilt in 3D mode, and be able to reference my location relative to upcoming towns, intersections, or POI's. But the small-ish screen size in landscape mode does a bad job at this. I don't have a Ram yet but from what I see the 12" screen in portrait mode should do a lot better at this.

This makes the 12" a must have for me.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I was hesitant because I thought I'd prefer the physical knobs. After getting the 12, I'd not have it any other way. I was surprised at how much I liked it once I got used to it.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 12" was one of the must haves... 3 month 5K miles and zero issues so far.

@733

Reaction score
Once you get beyond the fact that you are in a truck with a full 12" (huge!!) screen, it doesn't take long to realize that what you actually have is two 8.4" screens. If those on this forum with one 8.4" are pleased, just think how happy you would be with two.

Fuel_Sport

Reaction score
Can always get the level 1 trim with the 12”! That’s what I did.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
get it. Its the main feature i wish i had.

If down the road you decide you don't like it i'm sure plenty of us would be glad to swap our 8.4's out with you haha

There were no rebel 12's to be found when i got mine.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I would have to agree with most here, the 12 is what pushed me to upgrade in the first place. All the rest is just frosting on the cake!!

Lize

Reaction score
I haven't got mine yet but was also in two minds about the 12" and thought I might like hard buttons better as I find touch screens aren't always the easiest to press on the move.

After looking at a Limited I decided the 12" was a must, I don't think it looks too big and the split screen option should be really great. I decided with the heater controls being round the side of the screen the touch screen aspect would be fine.

I also opted for Level 2 with the keyless entry and rain sensitive wipers being my main factors for that.

Have a careful look and decide, it'd be a pain to wish you had ordered something and even if you thought dealer retro fit would be an answer it'd probably be a lot of trouble and expensive and put you off actually adding anything at a later date.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once you get beyond the fact that you are in a truck with a full 12" (huge!!) screen, it doesn't take long to realize that what you actually have is two 8.4" screens. If those on this forum with one 8.4" are pleased, just think how happy you would be with two.

Wouldn't that be a 16.8" screen? :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12” all the way! Over 10,000 miles and love it, no major problems at all. Have had just a couple small glitches that were corrected when I shut it down and turned back on. It amazes me that for the tech that is built into the 12” and what all it does and controls that it doesn’t “glitch” more. Far more reliable than my cell phone and I-pad!:)

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12” all the way! Over 10,000 miles and love it, no major problems at all. Have had just a couple small glitches that were corrected when I shut it down and turned back on. It amazes me that for the tech that is built into the 12” and what all it does and controls that it doesn’t “glitch” more. Far more reliable than my cell phone and I-pad!:)
12 most definitely. Only issues seem to be Sirius related not the hardware.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12inch works great, I have no issues and actually there was a poll on here and it seems to be most have not had issues with the 12

SemperGumby

Reaction score
You'll definitely be happy with the 12, and the only issue I've had was first day of ownership I had to do a soft reset of the system. ~1200 miles later and not a single issue.

TwinSac

Reaction score
Can always get the level 1 trim with the 12”! That’s what I did.
I didnt know I could get level 1 trim with 12" screen. I assume (oh no) that is will have to be special ordered. Every 12" screen I have seen has always been with the un-wanted level 2 trim.

Users who are viewing this thread