5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

115V power outlet installation.

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
Hi people, has any of you added a 115V outlet on the rear console (2022 Ram 1500 BigHorn Crew Cab)? it has the blank cover and I wonder if is just a plug n play set up, I have been looking for this topic for days and just find it on 4th gen Rams and also can't find the part for 5th gen. I can't understand how can a 60k dollars truck doesn't come with it, when asked the dealer they showed me the window sticker that my truck had where it says it was deleted so the truck costs 40 dollars less, I can't believe it, who wants to save 40 dollars sacrificing the outlet?, looks like a joke. I got the truck from the dealer yard without putting attention to these little details. I was so pissed off when assumed that I had an outlet and needed to plug my laptop and I couldn't. Thanks beforehand for your help.

Last edited:

CatServant

Reaction score
Interesting. My 2022 Lone Star Crew Cab has 115VAC outlets populated in both the front and rear consoles.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
iirc the rear outlet is part of option package.
Here's what I did (i remember someone asked about this before)

I ran power and ground through firewall directly to the battery, including a 60A breaker. Then I run said power and ground to a fuse block with ground. Wiring goes as: Battery -> breaker -> fuse block for power and battery ->fuse block for ground.
All the above utilizes Blue Sea System Marine grade components. No cheap chinese branded items.

For you, you can run a power inverter via fuse block. Pay attention to the gauge of main power and ground if you plan on using heavy consumption equipment.
I use 8-gauge power and ground because all I'm running are 12v accessories (fridge + ham radio + Victron DC-DC to charge my EcoFlow Delta 2)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't there an outlet in the front...or you have zero outlets? Can't say I ever missed not having a rear outlet. maybe give it some time. Messing with the electrical in these trucks can be hit or miss based on reading posts.

Insanity

Reaction score
I have the powered cubby that I'd like to put in but the harness isn't there. I have been meaning to find what I need.

Attachments

• 20230417_105829.jpg
    20230417_105829.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230417_105820.jpg
    20230417_105820.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 63

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi people, has any of you added a 115V outlet on the rear console (2022 Ram 1500 BigHorn Crew Cab)? it has the blank cover and I wonder if is just a plug n play set up, I have been looking for this topic for days and just find it on 4th gen Rams and also can't find the part for 5th gen. I can't understand how can a 60k dollars truck doesn't come with it, when asked the dealer they showed me the window sticker that my truck had where it says it was deleted so the truck costs 40 dollars less, I can't believe it, who wants to save 40 dollars sacrificing the outlet?, looks like a joke. I got the truck from the dealer yard without putting attention to these little details. I was so pissed off when assumed that I had an outlet and needed to plug my laptop and I couldn't. Thanks beforehand for your help.
During the pandemic parts shortage, many things would get deleted, with a very small credit, rather than stop production. I did searches looking for trucks, and found many instances like that. You bought a truck without even looking at the sticker?

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
iirc the rear outlet is part of option package.
Here's what I did (i remember someone asked about this before)

I ran power and ground through firewall directly to the battery, including a 60A breaker. Then I run said power and ground to a fuse block with ground. Wiring goes as: Battery -> breaker -> fuse block for power and battery ->fuse block for ground.
All the above utilizes Blue Sea System Marine grade components. No cheap chinese branded items.

For you, you can run a power inverter via fuse block. Pay attention to the gauge of main power and ground if you plan on using heavy consumption equipment.
I use 8-gauge power and ground because all I'm running are 12v accessories (fridge + ham radio + Victron DC-DC to charge my EcoFlow Delta 2)
I appreciate your explanation but I’m not that brave, I don’t really dare to do this, I was hoping this to be just plug and play. Thank you very much for your time. Take care.

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
During the pandemic parts shortage, many things would get deleted, with a very small credit, rather than stop production. I did searches looking for trucks, and found many instances like that. You bought a truck without even looking at the sticker?
It was the last truck in the yard, 6k disccount and the list of that sticker is long, I was also inexperienced about this, is my first brand new car and I just looking at that beautiful truck and check for the basics, my bad. It won’t happen again to me or to anyone who asks for advice from me before buying. Thanks

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The outlet and inverter was also deleted from my truck. Ticked me off.

So I started looking at adding it. The cost of parts and labor involved to do it correctly is insane.

So what I did is I bought a 1,500 watt inverter with dual outlets from Harbor Freight, mounted it under the rear seat, and wired it to the battery using 2 awg cable and a high-amp circuit breaker. Now I've got triple the power and I saved a ton of money.

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
The outlet and inverter was also deleted from my truck. Ticked me off.

So I started looking at adding it. The cost of parts and labor involved to do it correctly is insane.

So what I did is I bought a 1,500 watt inverter with dual outlets from Harbor Freight, mounted it under the rear seat, and wired it to the battery using 2 awg cable and a high-amp circuit breaker. Now I've got triple the power and I saved a ton of money.

Great video, I’m gonna take that way. Very useful.

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
bro that's 99% similar to what I said only with my setup gives you more expansion capabilities lol

have fun wiring!
Thanks @boogielander , you’re right, after watching the video I definitely don’t dare doing all that process. I’m still hopeful that there’s an easier and simpler solution at least to charge a laptop. God bless.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @boogielander , you’re right, after watching the video I definitely don’t dare doing all that process. I’m still hopeful that there’s an easier and simpler solution at least to charge a laptop. God bless.
no worries bud! feel free to pm me or anything any time. I do electrical accessories installation and i'm more than happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread