5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10Ply/E Rated Tire Pressure

nicodywill

Reaction score
What pressure are you guys that have switched over to a 10 ply E rated tire using? I’m having Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed on mine today and there’s a lot of different info on this out there. I’d like to get apples to apples numbers from other 2019 Ram 1500 owners feedback.

Agitated

Reaction score
If you call the tire manufacturer, tell them your application, they will give you a tailored pressure recommendation.

Having said that, Falken told me 44psi. I tried it, the ride was tough and they still felt over inflated. I started using the factory pressure of 36psi and it worked for me. I still use it with my new tires. Wear and ride are good so far.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When (if) you call the mfg, ask for the difference in running pressure and max payload pressure, just to make sure they're not telling you what to inflate the tire to under its maximum load. (44 psi does not sound like the max for an E-rated tire, so I'm sure that was proper running pressure.)

It's helpful to have your tire size AND wheel size and width when talking to them, otherwise the best you'll get is a "best guess" from whoever's on the phone with you.

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
I dont have E rated tires on my Ram but I on my Duramax the recommend pressure is 70psi front, 80psi rear. I run all four at 65psi.

Lateralus

Reaction score
Use a load inflation table for the tire size that you are running. The required pressure is dictated by the load that the tire needs to carry.
Each size has its own unique load profile, so asking what other people are running has no bearing on what you should run.
Your door sticker will give you the required load for the calculation.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What pressure are you guys that have switched over to a 10 ply E rated tire using? I’m having Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed on mine today and there’s a lot of different info on this out there. I’d like to get apples to apples numbers from other 2019 Ram 1500 owners feedback.
I can't speak for installation on the RAM. However, when I had my Wrangler Unlimited I upgraded from the smaller stock C rated Goodyear SRAs to Nitto Terra Grappler 34" tires. The old SRA's were inflated to 36 lbs. I tried 36 lbs with the Terra Grapplers and it was extremely rough; big bumps were ok, but little bumps and imperfections would rattle your teeth. I experimented with different pressures and found that 28 lbs was the sweet spot where it wasn't too rough and gas mileage and handling were not negatively affected. I would think that you would be comfortable around 30 lbs with the Ridge Grapplers in the RAM without having any negative effects. Those ten ply tires are pretty stiff; so running a little lower that your stock tires is the way to go.

alphonsinov

Reaction score
If you call the tire manufacturer, tell them your application, they will give you a tailored pressure recommendation.

Having said that, Falken told me 44psi. I tried it, the ride was tough and they still felt over inflated. I started using the factory pressure of 36psi and it worked for me. I still use it with my new tires. Wear and ride are good so far.

https://notepad.software/
https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/
https://filezilla.software/
It's helpful to have your tire size AND wheel size and width when talking to them, otherwise the best you'll get is a "best guess" from whoever's on the phone with you.

Last edited:

Troop2865

Reaction score
I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.50-18. I had 37 PSI in them and they rode good. I took them down to 35 to try them out. They seem to ride just a little softer and the tread wear using the chalk mark method noted below seems to be right on.

I read an article several years ago in 4 Wheel and Off Road magazine. They recommend using a piece of chalk, and drawing a line across the entire tread pattern of the tire. Drive on pavement for a short distance. The chalk should be evenly worn off of the tire the entire tread width. If the middle chalk mark is worn more, you have too much pressure and the tires will ride rough and prematurely wear the center of the tire. If the outsides wear more, the tire is under-inflated. This system works especially well when wheels and tires other than stock sizes and weight ratings are used.

I have used this method and it works very well. Most of the time, your truck will need less PSI in the rear tires due to less weight. For example, I ran 37/12.50-17's on my Cummins Ram 2500. I used 50 PSI in the front and about 40 in the rear tires. It rode well and the tires wore evenly. If I hauled a load or trailer, I adjusted the rears appropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread