5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10K Service Charges seem odd.

bucolic

Reaction score
So I am just wondering if I am missing anything here. I went to schedule the oil change on my Ram and the charges seem out of proportion.

The $149.95 for the oil and filter change sounds in line as does the $19.95 for the tire rotation. Not sure where they get $142.45 for the def fill but I can remove that.

My main concern is the Drain water from the fuel filter assembly at $119.95. From watching videos online it appears to take about 2 minutes so I am wondering if the online videos are wrong and if there is more to it than just turning the valve and letting it drain until diesel comes out. I can also remove that and just do it myself but wanted to make sure it wasn't more complicated.

Thanks!

10k1.png
10k2.png

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer Def is about $30-40/gal. That's a reasonable price for the oil/filter. The fuel filter drain seems excessive but I had mine changed at my last service and they charged me like $170 (that'll be the last time I let them do that), never had the water drained but how hard could it be...just messy.

jent

Reaction score
Fuel filter drain is trivial. The biggest pain is the disposal of contaminated diesel. It's not that hard or messy.

Be mindful to make sure the fuel filter is full before starting the truck. I cycle into the run position without starting multiple times to try and help make sure the fuel filter is full (someone comment if there is a better way).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fuel filter drain is trivial. The biggest pain is the disposal of contaminated diesel. It's not that hard or messy.

Be mindful to make sure the fuel filter is full before starting the truck. I cycle into the run position without starting multiple times to try and help make sure the fuel filter is full (someone comment if there is a better way).
FCA’s how to video just says to leave the drain open, turn key on, and let run until fuel comes out. Sounds like what you did is a fine solution also.

bucolic

Reaction score
Dealer Def is about $30-40/gal. That's a reasonable price for the oil/filter. The fuel filter drain seems excessive but I had mine changed at my last service and they charged me like $170 (that'll be the last time I let them do that), never had the water drained but how hard could it be...just messy.
That would make sense except they have "Fluid extra cost" so it sounds like it's $142.45 plus the cost of the def to add it. I don't need this done just thought it seemed out of wack when the oil change price seemed so fair.

FCA’s how to video just says to leave the drain open, turn key on, and let run until fuel comes out. Sounds like what you did is a fine solution also.
Yeah, the video I watched was this one and it looked pretty straightforward. I'll crawl under there tonight and see if it looks this simple.

Thanks!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing priced reasonable there is the oil change. The rest is an absolute rip off and I'd highly suggest doing yourself.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing priced reasonable there is the oil change. The rest is an absolute rip off and I'd highly suggest doing yourself.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Yep. $120 bucks to twist a plastic knob by hand and let it drain for 30 seconds? GTFO here....... lol

ben b

Reaction score
That would make sense except they have "Fluid extra cost" so it sounds like it's $142.45 plus the cost of the def to add it. I don't need this done just thought it seemed out of wack when the oil change price seemed so fair.
Oil change is a competitive business. Dealer probably charges a reasonable price here so not to scare people off. Same for tire rotation. But DEF and draining water from fuel isn't on all cars. So easy for the dealer to markup 10X and slip it in since many people don't know what is reasonable.

My wife's Toyota dealer does similar on her Prius hybrid. Oil change & tire rotation are very reasonable. But they try to throw in a "air filter change for battery." FIlter cost is $11 each (you need 2). Takes 30 seconds per filter to swap out. Not even under the hood so you don't have any risk of getting your fingers dirty. They charge $180 and give scare story about how much damage might be done if you don't have them change it.

cdsons

Reaction score
They're trying to break it off in your rear end, no pun intended. The only semi-reasonable cost on there is the oil/filter change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/