5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Ply Rated Tires

How rough are 10 ply tires

• Slightly stiffer but worth it

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Don’t do it, will kill the ride

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Josh24

Reaction score
I went to 285/60/20, E rated, on my Limited last year. Absolutely love it. I think the air ride helps here. Here is a write up of my experience, complete with the update on an unplanned 3000 mile road trip:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/they’re-on-lt285-60r20-on-2021-limited-no-lift-level-orp.46186/

I run mine at 44-46 psi.
Thanks for that detail, truck looks great and that’s good to hear. I was wondering if the air ride would help counter act the stiffness of e rated tires to some degree. They ride so nice from factory it’s hard to pull the trigger but I’ve heard a lot of people say they don’t notice a big difference in the overall ride quality.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that detail, truck looks great and that’s good to hear. I was wondering if the air ride would help counter act the stiffness of e rated tires to some degree. They ride so nice from factory it’s hard to pull the trigger but I’ve heard a lot of people say they don’t notice a big difference in the overall ride quality.

E rated tires aren’t the end of the world like a lot of guys make it out to be. Yes they tend to be heavier which of course is a given. Get a quality brand tire, read reviews, and don’t go max on the tire pressure unless towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Josh24

Reaction score
E rated tires aren’t the end of the world like a lot of guys make it out to be. Yes they trnd to be heavier which of course is a given. Get a quality brand tire, read reviews, and don’t go max on the tire pressure unless towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Debating between the Toyo at3 and recon grappler which both look to have great reviews. If they ride similar may have to go with the Toyo for what appears to be better snow performance. Do you have any experience with either of them?

lawmann8

Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information regarding the overall ride quality and comfort of 10 ply tires. Some say they ride terrible and others say they are just slightly stiffer. It seems air pressure may be the key. In running them at 40 psi how noticeably different do they ride from stock? For reference I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of Toyo AT3’s in a 285/55/22 LT on my limited.
I'm running 33x12.5/22 on my 2022 1500 Laramie and they ride great at 45 PSI. Very little road noise if any.

Attachments

• IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 43

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Debating between the Toyo at3 and recon grappler which both look to have great reviews. If they ride similar may have to go with the Toyo for what appears to be better snow performance. Do you have any experience with either of them?

My only experience would be with the AT3 on ones of the companies work truck but that would also be a Chevy 2500 so the ride quality isn’t anywhere near Ram 1500 comfort and was only for a short time. I debated on trying getting then for my 1500 but ultimately stuck with Falken Wildpeaks (haven’t mounted them on truck yet) mainly due to getting them almost $350 cheaper then the AT3 and I had a set on my 4th gen and loved them besides that they tend to weigh a bit more. Read some reviews for each on Tirerack and Discounttiredirect. Seems Nittos are all over the place with their reviews depending on the model.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I tried Toyo AT3s. Terrible on wet roadways or in rain. Would easily break loose on turns, I couldn't trust them. Went to Wildpeak A/T3Ws and a world of difference in wet weather, dry weather, and off-roading. Great traction!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t have a problem with the at3’s in wet weather, but I did and still do like the wildpeaks better. Me not having a problem with the at3 and others having one is probably a testament to peoples’ different driving styles.

tfdickson

Reaction score
I am out in Jamesport. Curious what dealer you took it to who wouldn't do the recalibration. I did a Mopar lift on my truck, and I really like the guys in Riverhead but they wanted like 300 more than Mullen motors.

I bought the truck from Mullen but it was the Southampton dealership that wouldn’t do the recalibration. Next oil change I plan on taking it back to Mullen to do it. I live in Sag Harbor so Southampton is a little closer, which is why I went there first.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I bought the truck from Mullen but it was the Southampton dealership that wouldn’t do the recalibration. Next oil change I plan on taking it back to Mullen to do it. I live in Sag Harbor so Southampton is a little closer, which is why I went there first.
Mullen is like stuck in a different era. And that seems like a good thing.

bgasper

Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information regarding the overall ride quality and comfort of 10 ply tires. Some say they ride terrible and others say they are just slightly stiffer. It seems air pressure may be the key. In running them at 40 psi how noticeably different do they ride from stock? For reference I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of Toyo AT3’s in a 285/55/22 LT on my limited.
I have this exact set up on my truck and did not notice any ride quality issues in terms of comfort. There will be a bit more road noise. The biggest issue I've had is getting and keeping them balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online