5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Ply Rated Tires

How rough are 10 ply tires

• Slightly stiffer but worth it

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Don’t do it, will kill the ride

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Josh24

Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information regarding the overall ride quality and comfort of 10 ply tires. Some say they ride terrible and others say they are just slightly stiffer. It seems air pressure may be the key. In running them at 40 psi how noticeably different do they ride from stock? For reference I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of Toyo AT3’s in a 285/55/22 LT on my limited.

Choate

Reaction score
Just do it. You might notice it the first drive but after that you won’t. It doesn’t “kill” the ride. Truck drives super nice still and I have 22s now

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, don't overthink it.
Unless you're just really sensitive for what ever reason, you'll quickly get used to your new truck tires.

There's no good reason to run max psi on them unless you are loaded. Even, then, you might not need max.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the tires are 10 ply "RATED", not actually 10 ply, like 50 years ago. You can find a website with a PSI calculator that can give you a new number for the different rated tires you choose.

However, yes they will be slightly rougher riding. That may not be the biggest difference though, as they probably will do worse in snow and rain, and you must keep a closer eye on odd wear and rotate as necessary, more than a lighter rated tire on our trucks. They should tow better, if you do that, as well. Almost everybody does it and accepts the slight differences and is happy with it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on many many 1/2 ton trucks and Jeeps. The fact is LT-E rated tires do ride stiffer, but that's because they have the benefit of being more robust. Do you want a Cadillac soft ride or do you want to never have to change a flat?

I have found that after two weeks your brain gets totally used to the LT-E ride and it's not bad at all. And the safety benefits are very nice. If you saw how paper thin the sidewalls are on OE tires it would scare you to death.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I always change out to E rated tires. Like said above they do ride stiffer but adjust the PSI and you soon get used to it. On a 1/2 ton truck they are imperative if you tow, carry heavy loads or for rough off-roading. If it's a daily driver E rated tires are a waste of money. When my Eco wears out the E rated I'm going to try D rated as it's my daily driver. Even a quality C rated would be acceptable for a daily driver.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I hated the Toyo. Took them off within the ride guarantee period. Way to stiff for highway IMO. You can always try them and return them. Just ask where you buy them that they wont give you a hard time. Keep in mind you need to know what you want so you're not stuck. I think it's 500 miles. Unfortunately I made a mistake and got Nitto G2 Terra's. Suck balls in rain but ride was softer to me.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s worth it to check the weight (77lbs for that size IIRC). That’s going to translate into noticing the perforamnce hit on the butt dyno and in your wallet (average mpg). A lot of people don’t care about either, but I think it’s worth looking at and mulling over before you spend money.

Lungs414

Reaction score
It’s worth it to check the weight (77lbs for that size IIRC). That’s going to translate into noticing the perforamnce hit on the butt dyno and in your wallet (average mpg). A lot of people don’t care about either, but I think it’s worth looking at and mulling over before you spend money.
I hear you. I'm looking for replacements for my G2 terra right now. I like everything about the Fallen wildpeaks except the weight of the tire. The more I research and think the more confused I get.
I hust want a better version of the G2 Terras. Will never get these again.
Any suggestions?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you. I'm looking for replacements for my G2 terra right now. I like everything about the Fallen wildpeaks except the weight of the tire. The more I research and think the more confused I get.
I hust want a better version of the G2 Terras. Will never get these again.
Any suggestions?
I liked my 285/50/22 Toyo AT3’s and I could vastly change the ride characteristics as I aired them up or down. At 43psi, the ride wasn’t much different than my wildpeaks, and aired up to 71, it was stiff but cornered very well on the street. I disliked how the truck seemed to labor a little on hills with 3.92’s, and it was significantly worse when I got my 2nd truck with 3.21’s. I ended up getting rid of the 10plys for street use and now have two dedicated sets- on and off road.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I liked my 285/50/22 Toyo AT3’s and I could vastly change the ride characteristics as I aired them up or down. At 43psi, the ride wasn’t much different than my wildpeaks, and aired up to 71, it was stiff but cornered very well on the street. I disliked how the truck seemed to labor a little on hills with 3.92’s, and it was significantly worse when I got my 2nd truck with 3.21’s. I ended up getting rid of the 10plys for street use and now have two dedicated sets- on and off road.
What off-road do you have?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What off-road do you have?
35x12.5x20 Toyo open country mt on stock rims. Admittedly, they have been sitting in storage because I never use them.

Lungs414

Reaction score
35x12.5x20 Toyo open country mt on stock rims. Admittedly, they have been sitting in storage because I never use them.
Sorry i meant on road. Do you like them
I think I am leaning toward Geolander G015..

Lungs414

Reaction score
I do a mostly short city driving and a decent amount of 90 mile highway driving. At least 1 round trip of that a week 10 months of the year.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry i meant on road. Do you like them
I think I am leaning toward Geolander G015..
Michelin defender ltx 275/50/22 on fuel contra rims. I chose those because they’re close to 33 inches tall and that’s the shortest height tire I would want while still being lightweight. That size was made for the Suburban and Tahoe.

I’m not suggesting anybody else follow what I did, I bought those tires for the sole purpose of being as light as possible, while still being almost 33 inch tall. If you tow a lot , I wouldn’t suggest doing what I did.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I liked the defender also but doesn't come in the size i need

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the defender also but doesn't come in the size i need
Oh yeah, options are limited in 285/50 and 285/55/22 and there’s no light options I know of, but that comes with the 10 ply territory. My main reason to post (initially) was to just raise awareness that increased unsprung weight can have a large effect on street capability- a lot of people don’t think about it and are regretting it quickly. You don’t drive much though, so you may be happy with it and feel it’s worth it. Each person’s situation is unique.

Josh24

Reaction score
Oh yeah, options are limited in 285/50 and 285/55/22 and there’s no light options I know of, but that comes with the 10 ply territory. My main reason to post (initially) was to just raise awareness that increased unsprung weight can have a large effect on street capability- a lot of people don’t think about it and are regretting it quickly. You don’t drive much though, so you may be happy with it and feel it’s worth it. Each person’s situation is unique.

Seems we are all in the same predicament when upsizing on the 22’ tires. I saw some older threads on discussions re (305/45/22 vs 285/55/22). A lot of us wanting a slightly larger tire but preferably one that doesn’t have too much extra weight, high load rating, etc. I have not run an E load rated tire so appreciate all the feedback above. Definitely pros / cons to each option and load rating.

Maybe some of these tire manufactures will start making 34’s / 35’s in various load ratings at some point…. Designed for half ton trucks… Although that may be wishful thinking.

tfdickson

Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information regarding the overall ride quality and comfort of 10 ply tires. Some say they ride terrible and others say they are just slightly stiffer. It seems air pressure may be the key. In running them at 40 psi how noticeably different do they ride from stock? For reference I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of Toyo AT3’s in a 285/55/22 LT on my limited.

I went to 285/60/20, E rated, on my Limited last year. Absolutely love it. I think the air ride helps here. Here is a write up of my experience, complete with the update on an unplanned 3000 mile road trip:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/they’re-on-lt285-60r20-on-2021-limited-no-lift-level-orp.46186/

I run mine at 44-46 psi.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I went to 285/60/20, E rated, on my Limited last year. Absolutely love it. I think the air ride helps here. Here is a write up of my experience, complete with the update on an unplanned 3000 mile road trip:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/they’re-on-lt285-60r20-on-2021-limited-no-lift-level-orp.46186/

I run mine at 44-46 psi.
I am out in Jamesport. Curious what dealer you took it to who wouldn't do the recalibration. I did a Mopar lift on my truck, and I really like the guys in Riverhead but they wanted like 300 more than Mullen motors.

Users who are viewing this thread