5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 year review

BNJMN

Reaction score
Posting here because the Ecodiesel is the primary reason I chose this truck.

18K miles in the first year. Upside is this thing rides amazing and does everything I've asked it too. Very comfortable for family of 4 plus the dog. Power is great. Looks great. No issues that has had me miss time driving it; which is better than my neighbors Lemon Chevy. Very pleased with the tires; won't need to swap for winter as I did on my past truck.

I've had a few annoyances.

AC sucks. Will try to get dealer to top up the refrigerant this summer. Last summer they refused. I did wrap the lines in the foil tape and that helped.
I don't think the radio is great; doesn't get as loud as my last truck, not as clear sounding but my ears are also old!
MFT often says it isn't latched despite being latched. Dealer adjusted the strike plate, it happens less frequently now but still annoying.
Averaged 20.1 MPG, I really thought 23-25 was going to be possible. Maybe I should have skipped the 3.92; but I know a bigger camper is in my future and I do tow my snowmobile trailer now. This motor does quite a bit better towing MPG; but it takes a bigger hit. My 5.0 ford would go down to single digits but was only 12-13 on regular driving, so less of a % decrease when towing.
Oil change annoyances with dealer and their problems with the purchased ahead mopar oil changes. First told me they wouldn't take it at all, so I paid the big bucks. Got that sorted out and they said they'd take it, but then after I bought it they said I have to pay $70 more on top each oil change. Will see what they say next time, this time they only called me once to say I owed more and I never returned the call.
Front end is so heavy easy to stuck in snow; and when it happened the 4WD system didn't like trying to rock it out. Can't blame it on the truck or the tires. I shouldn't have driven off the edge of the drive in heavy wet snow.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.92 gears are hurting your mileage. I got the 3.21 set and I am getting around 24+ with the winter blend and 26+
with the summer mix. Best I saw was 28.5 mpg on a trip from Detroit to Mt Vernon IL.
The GDE tune would add 45 HP, 80 ft/lbs and 7-10% better mileage. I am running it now.

Malodave

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 3.92s and average 26+ mpg and have no problem getting 28mpg on the highway.

Do you have stock wheels and tires?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

BNJMN

Reaction score
Yup, 100 percent stock. I'm thinking when warranty is up I'll go the GDE route. I can get better mpg if I only go 60mph, tried it once for a drive and did see 29, buy that wasn't how I usually drive. But when I'm on the highway it's usually 78 or 83 depending on the speed limit. I'm thinking off road package and my heavy multifunction tailgate and sunroof are causing a mileage hit. I drive this vehicle gentler than any I've ever owned. Want it to last over 200k.

BNJMN

Reaction score
Yup, 100 percent stock. I'm thinking when warranty is up I'll go the GDE route. I can get better mpg if I only go 60mph, tried it once for a drive and did see 29, buy that wasn't how I usually drive. But when I'm on the highway it's usually 78 or 83 depending on the speed limit. I'm thinking off road package and my heavy multifunction tailgate and sunroof are causing a mileage hit. I drive this vehicle gentler than any I've ever owned. Want it to last over 200k.
Oh and it was 83 in Michigan today. The AC in this thing can make me cranky in a hurry!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cruise around 70-72mph.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Bo4x4

Reaction score
The 3.92 gears are hurting your mileage. I got the 3.21 set and I am getting around 24+ with the winter blend and 26+
with the summer mix. Best I saw was 28.5 mpg on a trip from Detroit to Mt Vernon IL.
The GDE tune would add 45 HP, 80 ft/lbs and 7-10% better mileage. I am running it now.

Malodave

Are you worried about the GDE tune voiding a warranty claim? I read the fine print for FCA and the extended warranty i got; any mods that enhance performance or mess with injection timing, etc. void it out; seems in its entirety. Doesnt matter if the tune caused the damage being claimed.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you worried about the GDE tune voiding a warranty claim? I read the fine print for FCA and the extended warranty i got; any mods that enhance performance or mess with injection timing, etc. void it out; seems in its entirety. Doesnt matter if the tune caused the damage being claimed.
I have a spare PCM for the tune. So I can return it to stock with the Factory PCM.

Malodave

MXZGUY

Reaction score
I have a spare PCM for the tune. So I can return it to stock with the Factory PCM.

Malodave

Yes, same here for my 2022 Limited. Have extra ECM plus I put the transmission tune in also. Plus I know when mine goes into regen also. I do my own oil changes also. So if and when I need to take to dealer which is more likely when the HPFP needs to be replaced then I will swap out the ECM and the trans tune back to stock. Might take me now all of 15 minutes at best.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine with 17K on it. I have the 3.21 gears.

I have put 20K on it since last July. My average is 22.1. My best ever is 26.7 on one tank full just after I got it. I did put on 33" tires on 20" wheels shortly after I got mine, which I think knocks my fuel economy by about 1 MPG.

I basically set my Adapative Cruise at 10 MPH over the limit everywhere I go. I do a lot of highway miles. So, my mileage is based on a lot of driving at 80 MPH (indicated).

I've had the same issue with my MFT causing a warning on the dash that it's open when it is not. It's only after having it open barn door style. Never after opening it down, like a conventional tailgate. When it happens, it's always that I need to open the right side of the gate and slam it shut. But, it seems like it has gotten better over time. It happened a number of times in the first couple of months. It has only happened maybe once in the last 2 or 3 months. I guess whatever gaskets or seals are behind that right side gate have gotten compressed over time and a lighter touch when closing it is now closing it "more" than it used to.

Users who are viewing this thread