5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

< 1 month old truck with busted air suspension = Warranty Questions

JGnTX

Reaction score
I've had my '19 Limited less than a month and over the 4th of July we were moving my son and daughter-in-law from Fort Worth TX to Salt Lake City UT, I was pulling a 24' cargo trailer that weighs 5400#s and minimal cargo (two beds, one couch, 25 boxes, and a KTM dirt bike). We went through Raton Pass no problem and the pulled into Trinidad, Colorado to grab some lunch. I had stopped at a red light and then as I went forward the road did a little upward tick and I heard a loud "BAM!" and immediately felt the air suspension give away. We pulled over when we could and looking through the wheel the right-rear air bag was blown out. Not a good thing to see in a small town on the 4th of July, nothing was open so we limped to a motel. We sent our oldest son on to Colorado Springs to rent a truck from Enterprise the next morning (the truck locations were closed for the 4th).

The next morning I got the truck to the one Ram dealer in town and they are hopeful that they can get it looked at today (Monday 7/8) as they only have one certified mechanic. We used the rented truck to continue the trip and got them to Utah and have made it home to Fort Worth. The rental truck has to be returned to Colorado Springs later this week and hopefully, the Ram will be ready so it can be one trip. So, can I get Dodge/Ram to help with my expenses (hotel, rent truck) or am I on my own? Thanks for any ideas, suggestions or help.
John

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my '19 Limited less than a month and over the 4th of July we were moving my son and daughter-in-law from Fort Worth TX to Salt Lake City UT, I was pulling a 24' cargo trailer that weighs 5400#s and minimal cargo (two beds, one couch, 25 boxes, and a KTM dirt bike). We went through Raton Pass no problem and the pulled into Trinidad, Colorado to grab some lunch. I had stopped at a red light and then as I went forward the road did a little upward tick and I heard a loud "BAM!" and immediately felt the air suspension give away. We pulled over when we could and looking through the wheel the right-rear air bag was blown out. Not a good thing to see in a small town on the 4th of July, nothing was open so we limped to a motel. We sent our oldest son on to Colorado Springs to rent a truck from Enterprise the next morning (the truck locations were closed for the 4th).

The next morning I got the truck to the one Ram dealer in town and they are hopeful that they can get it looked at today (Monday 7/8) as they only have one certified mechanic. We used the rented truck to continue the trip and got them to Utah and have made it home to Fort Worth. The rental truck has to be returned to Colorado Springs later this week and hopefully, the Ram will be ready so it can be one trip. So, can I get Dodge/Ram to help with my expenses (hotel, rent truck) or am I on my own? Thanks for any ideas, suggestions or help.
John
I have travel insurance on my credit cards that would help with those expenses, as well as AAA. But I’m not sure Ram will do anything except maybe reimburse part of your rental as a loaner. Bad luck there...I think you’re the first to report an air bag blowout on the new system.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless someone here has been in that situation with a Ram, it's speculation at best as for reimbursement. Did you call Ram's Roadside Assistance when this happened? It doesn't sound like you did? I would think they would have informed you. I'd give Roadside Assistance a call and see where it leads you.

Sorry for your situation. Who knows if it was a QC issue or you just hit the right bump at the right angle with the right load. I doubt you'll ever find out but at least you'll get it fixed under warranty.

Neokane

Reaction score
Ouch!! That sucks.. I have the air suspension but haven't towed anything yet.
I usually haul a couple head of cattle to the locker and around the farm but will have to pay attention!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check with your insurance carrier. I'm 95% sure my State Farm policy would cover at least some of that if it happened to me.

ZeroSeVen

Reaction score
I highly doubt that FCA (RAM) will offer any trip interruption reimbursement expenses... all they would do is provide the warrantry repair... Check with your insurance carrier, more often than not you'll be surprised to find out things that you were not even aware you have... my auto insurance offers trip interruption covergae of up to $600 with 0 deductible excluding daily car rental... can't hurt to ask... every dollar counts;) Good luck to you!

JGnTX

Reaction score
SpeedyV - thanks for the idea of credit cards, hadn't considered that and will check that out for sure.
troutspinner - I was so stunned and kinda overwhelmed on how we were going to get everything handled that I didn't call Roadside Assistance, I'll give them a call and see what they can do. Looking back I should have called them.
Neokane - I've hauled our camper that weighs 5400lbs and it's been just fine, I think it's a combination of weight, elevation and a weird angle on the road that all came together - and possibly a QC issue.
StuartV - great idea, I'll check options on that as well.
ZeroSeVen - I'm thinking you're probably correct on the trip part, I'd be happy if they covered the rent truck and you are correct - every dollar counts!
Thanks everyone for the ideas and support.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
SpeedyV - thanks for the idea of credit cards, hadn't considered that and will check that out for sure.
troutspinner - I was so stunned and kinda overwhelmed on how we were going to get everything handled that I didn't call Roadside Assistance, I'll give them a call and see what they can do. Looking back I should have called them.
Neokane - I've hauled our camper that weighs 5400lbs and it's been just fine, I think it's a combination of weight, elevation and a weird angle on the road that all came together - and possibly a QC issue.
StuartV - great idea, I'll check options on that as well.
ZeroSeVen - I'm thinking you're probably correct on the trip part, I'd be happy if they covered the rent truck and you are correct - every dollar counts!
Thanks everyone for the ideas and support.
Good luck to you. Real bummer for sure.
Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Apexcars

Reaction score
If it can be shown that an impact or debris or something like that caused the bag to blow then insurance will be able to step in. It depends on what company and what coverage you have as to whether any of those other expenses will be covered. If it was due to mechanical breakdown or parts defect it will not be covered under insurance.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@JGnTX
How'd this situation pan out? I hope you were able to find some reimbursement from the sources posted above (good ideas, I take long trips often enough to consider trip insurance)

And how'd the rear bag situation get handled? I think for the '19s, that's the first reported case on the boards so far of a bag blowout or possible line burst.

any pictures by chance you can share? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread