5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5 Icon Springs reviews

Ontopofit

Reaction score
Looking for some reviews on the 1.5 icon rear springs. I ordered them and they should be arriving this week, however, I do read some reviews stating that they produce a clunk on some vehicles, looking to see if these are isolated incidents related to poor installs or if it’s a design issue. Debating if I should switch install with spacers instead.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about the Icons, but I’ve read 2 really good reviews on the Dobinson 2” springs …. That’s the direction I’m going …. As far a poor install, you have to make sure that spring isolator gets back in there … Otherwise you got metal on metal …. Not good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ontopofit

Reaction score
Yeah hopefully that’s the case. I hope that if the clunking noise was common, it’d be mentioned more

EJ84

Reaction score
I’m also interested so hopefully someone can give a review. I bought Bilstein 5100’s. I can’t decide if I should go with ORG springs in the rear or Icon.

Ontopofit

Reaction score
did some more digging and found this thread. May be an easy enough solution after all . Now I have to decide if the 1.5 springs will be enough to compliment the 3.5 front lift or if I should go with the Clayton springs as I read in that post for a little rake. The more I read the more indecisive I get 🤦🏻🤦🏻

Ontopofit

Reaction score
Since most of the Clayton info is this thread i thought it'll be a good idea to leave this here as well for others to see.
If you're getting a clacking noise with your Clayton springs is because the dead coils might be hitting each other when the spring compresses, you hit a bump, or a pothole etc, etc. It's kind of a nature with long progressive coil springs. Some people may experience this some others may not, trucks are not created equal. but it's a super easy fix.

I've had that situation with Icon 1.5" springs and with the Claytons as well. My truck runs heavy in the back at all times (500lbs of weight in the bed, recovery gear, steel bumper, swing out rear gate carrier, Full spare, etc etc), and when travelling i tend to add more weight in there as well. Our travel may involve miles of washboard roads, sugarish sand washes or mountain dirt roads with rocks etc, so i need a suspension able to whistand that stuff and coils that can carry weight but also coils that feel nice when the truck bed is not loaded to the roof :)
2020-07-21_04-46-31 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Because of this the soft portion of the coils may hit each other if you get to experience the clack noise, you'll see the marks on the springs if that was the case. If you hear some noise and it happens to bother you all you need to do is add some sort of coil spring insulator.

You can buy for example Eibach spring insulators, eibach CS5002L, 1 per coil
2021-02-26_01-36-27 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Then cut 3 or 4 pieces and fit them in there as needed. the sleeves come with a glue inside so make sure to fit your pieces where you want them the first time, i tried to push that first SOB at the top towards the inside and it won't move. I can remove it and fit another piece but i'm not that anal haha.
2021-02-26_01-36-51 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Have fun.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those who care weight most of the time, Dobinson has a 500 lbs load spring that lifts 2” as well

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
did some more digging and found this thread. May be an easy enough solution after all . Now I have to decide if the 1.5 springs will be enough to compliment the 3.5 front lift or if I should go with the Clayton springs as I read in that post for a little rake. The more I read the more indecisive I get 🤦🏻🤦🏻
Was having the clunking sound and installed some spring isolators. 2 full isolators on each spring and the clunking is gone.

Reactions: c3k

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are on my short list for the rear of my Rebel.. Is it a true 1/2” of lift?..

U

User_21361

These are on my short list for the rear of my Rebel.. Is it a true 1/2” of lift?..

Icon tech dept said there would be very little lift if any compared to the stock Rebel springs when I called them last year. This is what lead me to the Clayton springs

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Icon tech dept said there would be very little lift if any compared to the stock Rebel springs when I called them last year. This is what lead me to the Clayton springs

Gotcha.. And what was the outcome of lift with the Clayton springs in real time?..

U

User_21361

Gotcha.. And what was the outcome of lift with the Clayton springs in real time?..

The details are in the first post here: Clayton Offroad 2.5" Jeep Gladiator Springs on 2020 Rebel

TLDR: I got a 1.5 inch lift in the rear and I would recommend the isolators. I would also get extended sway bar links. I got the core 4x4 +2 links and they have been great. I also upgraded the track bar but I’m not sure it was worth the weight

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The details are in the first post here: Clayton Offroad 2.5" Jeep Gladiator Springs on 2020 Rebel

TLDR: I got a 1.5 inch lift in the rear and I would recommend the isolators. I would also get extended sway bar links. I got the core 4x4 +2 links and they have been great. I also upgraded the track bar but I’m not sure it was worth the weight
what do the core 4x4 links do ?

U

User_21361

what do the core 4x4 links do ?

The ideal position for the sway bar is flat. The lift will cause it to angle towards the front of the truck because the attachment point on the frame is now higher in the air. The links correct this by being 2ish inches longer than stock. Core was the only place I found that had them in stock. I think hellwig sells a set with their sway bar as an option as well. Someone else may make them too (I didn’t look too hard for options). I noticed a change in handling from the lift and the new links brought it back to where it was pre lift

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ideal position for the sway bar is flat. The lift will cause it to angle towards the front of the truck because the attachment point on the frame is now higher in the air. The links correct this by being 2ish inches longer than stock. Core was the only place I found that had them in stock. I think hellwig sells a set with their sway bar as an option as well. Someone else may make them too (I didn’t look too hard for options). I noticed a change in handling from the lift and the new links brought it back to where it was pre lift
thanks much needed knowledge lol my first truck and first time doing off road stuff 😂

SurfRebel20

Reaction score

Which set of end links did you order from core? The street set?

U

User_21361

Which set of end links did you order from core? The street set?

I got the Tier 4 set. Not sure what street means to them now as they didn’t have that designation when I ordered them. The price difference between tier 3 and 4 was negligible so I went with the better bushings.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
I got the Tier 4 set. Not sure what street means to them now as they didn’t have that designation when I ordered them. The price difference between tier 3 and 4 was negligible so I went with the better bushings.
Sweet!!! What color did you get? I've been looking into the adjustable carli links but they are 250$

U

User_21361

Sweet!!! What color did you get? I've been looking into the adjustable carli links but they are 250$

I went with charcoal though the underside of my truck is generally mud brown

I also didn’t see the need for an adjustable set because I doubt I’ll be going any higher any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread