5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/2 ton 5th wheel

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own an RV park, and see all kinds of 1/2 ton pickups hauling fivers. Also many pulling bumper pulls.
Question is, what is your load capacity. Are you a noob or experienced. Even with a within spec bumper pull, and no experience, keeping the speed down, and proper setup are the safe way to go. I tow at 60+/-, and give everyone around me room to screw up. In most cases when any RV wrecks, it's speed and overconfidence. Just look at the you tube vids and you will see that.

Attachments

• 20210114_111945.jpg
    20210114_111945.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 32

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's in the "it can be done" category, then it probably can be done, but it won't be much fun. And if you are pushing max capacity when towing (especially a travel trailer), it definitely won't be much fun.
I have pulled both fivers and pull behinds, and even with proper setup, a fiver is much more enjoyable. But then, I have only been towing since the '60's

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a thought. 🤔 Which would you rather meet on the highway?
A 1/2 ton with a 34' fiver (16000 gross, 1650 pin) that is a couple hundred over on payload doing 60/65,
or a 1ton dually with a 44' 18000lb (26000 gross, 3000 pin) fiver doing 75/80,
and a tire blows, someone slams on the breaks, or changes lanes without warning.
VOTES PLEASE

Last edited:

Av1

Reaction score
I own an RV park, and see all kinds of 1/2 ton pickups hauling fivers. Also many pulling bumper pulls.
Question is, what is your load capacity. Are you a noob or experienced. Even with a within spec bumper pull, and no experience, keeping the speed down, and proper setup are the safe way to go. I tow at 60+/-, and give everyone around me room to screw up. In most cases when any RV wrecks, it's speed and overconfidence. Just look at the you tube vids and you will see that.

That (edit: your photo) is a lot of 5th wheel to tow with a 1/2-ton pickup, IMHO, even if the numbers align. It doesn't seem like it would be pleasant.

But I completely agree that towing experience, set-up and keeping speed in check is the safe way to go. I never tow fast, whether it's my car trailer or my 5th wheel.

I have a similar sized 5th wheel as your photo that we tow with a 3/4 ton and used to tow it with a DRW 1-ton. I wouldn't want to tow it with anything smaller.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a 5th wheel hitch or did you convert to a gooseneck ball for your camper?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a 5th wheel hitch or did you convert to a gooseneck ball for your camper?
B&W and Andersen Ultimate. Added less weight wise than a conventional FW hitch. B&W added 100lb, and the Andersen is about 40lbs. I think my slider in my Duramax was about 200 total. Only thing I didn't like about the Andersen is that it raised the pivot point, so I installed the Hellweg and it fixed the body roll.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That (edit: your photo) is a lot of 5th wheel to tow with a 1/2-ton pickup, IMHO, even if the numbers align. It doesn't seem like it would be pleasant.

But I completely agree that towing experience, set-up and keeping speed in check is the safe way to go. I never tow fast, whether it's my car trailer or my 5th wheel.

I have a similar sized 5th wheel as your photo that we tow with a 3/4 ton and used to tow it with a DRW 1-ton. I wouldn't want to tow it with anything smaller.
Actually it tows solid as a rock. Even in the wind. However, I do not tow in serious wind aka 40+ gale force. On one trip just east of Barstow, blew a tire on the trailer, and had no trouble at all keeping it under control and pulling to the shoulder. But like I said before, I keep the speed down, and in CA it is 55.
I tow from Phoenix to Vegas through the mountains, and have had no problem with oil or h20 temps, and no trouble at all on down grades, uphill, or corners., but I did go to stiffer tires and a Hellwig.
Another point is I still averaged 12 mpg (hand calc) on almost 4000 miles.
I feel more comfortable with this setup than I ever did with bumper pulls.
Dash display.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread