5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/2 ton 5th wheel

DOFF

Reaction score
Hey all,

Currently have a TT fully loaded around 6500lbs I tow with the 5.7, 3.92 rear end and timber grove airbags. Considering getting a 1/2 ton 5th wheel for more headspace, layout, personal reasons etc. Only info I’ve been able to find is 12,750 lbs 5th wheel towable with 5.7 etorque from the ram website.

Would a 9-11k lb 5th wheel be towable with my specs and timber grove airbags rated at 5k bumper payload limit?

Any help is appreciated. Having trouble finding info on this topic.

Thanks.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure it is not capable of towing the 9k+ fifth wheel. You have a much higher percent of trailer weight on the "pin" than bumper pull tongue weight. You will probably hit max payload before you even get yourself in the truck, much less wife, kids , dogs, stuff, gear, crap, etc. This is before you add any camping stuff in the trailer ahead of the trailer axles, adding pin weight. Check your actual VIN on the ram site if you had only checked their "chart". The rear axle rating of the truck is 4100lbs; I would treat that as the "never cross" line, regardless of bags, etc.

Triple6

Reaction score
You can go to multiple RV websites and find out the hitch weight. There are manufacturers of RVs that are making models that are half ton towable and under 7K overall weight. Grand Design Reflection 150 are half ton towable.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lots of threads on this

as long as you dont go over your payload and towing capacity you will be fine,

so first step is to fin your truck payload and towing capacity

then you will know what fifth wheel you can get, there are super light fifth wheel out there.. but remember that the way you will.load your gear will modify the pin weight... keep that in mind, the heavier stuff keep it for the rear or middle of tt, not the front

for a 9 to 11k pounds if that inclued your gear, and that you truck is rated for it, then yes if the pine weight is also okay
if the tt is 11kpounds without gear then its NO

so yes it can be done

also, your air bags do not legally elevate your payload, it only helps to carry it safer and level

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be over the payload rating list on your door sticker.

Also, remember to subtract the weight of any mods you have done, fuel, you, passengers, etc from that total.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be over the payload rating list on your door sticker.

Also, remember to subtract the weight of any mods you have done, fuel, you, passengers, etc from that total.

well there are 6500 pound fifth wheel with pin weight of 650pounds... so depending on his truck payload and trailer... it can be done with caution on how he loads it, they can them 1/2 ton truck super lite fifth wheel, they are made for that purpose

edit... i made a mistake searching those numbers was for a travel trailer not 5th wheel

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
first thing to do is weigh your truck with a full tank of gas and the weight of the fifth wheel hitch as some of them are heavy
then add the weight of you and anything you might carry in the truck
once you do that you will have a starting number and you will know what the trailer weight in the bed can be

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
There’s no way our trucks are capable of towing a 12,750lb 5th wheel that’s crazy. Typically half ton towable 5th wheels are in the 6-8k range. You’ll max out payload before you max out the towing number for sure. But it can be done if you get yourself a light 5th wheel!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't bed length also come into play? Can you turn the larger 5th wheels with the 5'7" bed without it hitting the back of the cab? A 9-11K# 5th wheel would be pretty big?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't bed length also come into play? Can you turn the larger 5th wheels with the 5'7" bed without it hitting the back of the cab? A 9-11K# 5th wheel would be pretty big?
Good point, OP has the 6’4 bed which is slightly less of a concern since many HD trucks have that bed length. Also they make swivel 5th wheel hitches that increase usable turning radius and definitely come in handy with either bed length for 1500’s.
Hey all,

Currently have a TT fully loaded around 6500lbs I tow with the 5.7, 3.92 rear end and timber grove airbags. Considering getting a 1/2 ton 5th wheel for more headspace, layout, personal reasons etc. Only info I’ve been able to find is 12,750 lbs 5th wheel towable with 5.7 etorque from the ram website.

Would a 9-11k lb 5th wheel be towable with my specs and timber grove airbags rated at 5k bumper payload limit?

Any help is appreciated. Having trouble finding info on this topic.

Thanks.
Your truck has a max tow of 11,040 pounds, that 12,750 is the marketing number obtained by a 2 wheel drive quad cab 3.92 tradesman truck with the larger rear axle that we can’t even get on the 4x4 trucks :(

5th wheels use 15-20% tongue weight so you’ll need to find something very light, and as stated earlier know your trucks specific payload, you’ll hit that number long before your max tow number with a 5th wheel. For example A 6500 pound 5er will put around 1,000 pounds on the truck, that’s probably around 2/3rds of your payload.

Also one way to save weight is get a gooseneck receiver instead, a 5th wheel hitch in the bed can weigh several hundred pounds which you still have to account for in the payload. Reece makes a nice gooseneck conversion for campers, and B&W makes a gooseneck kit for our trucks that’s bolt on.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah might wanna rethink the whole 5th wheel idea. Seems like you’ll be pushing it with a 1500 or weighing every single item and using exact placement each time to keep it “technically” within limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
they make special hitches for short beds

the issue is weight

DOFF

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, a lot to consider. I’ve seen a lot of f150s and some ram 1500s towing 1/2 ton 5th wheels but I’d rather not be at the max of tow capacity. May rethink the options and figure something else out. Thanks for the help everyone

Loudram

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, a lot to consider. I’ve seen a lot of f150s and some ram 1500s towing 1/2 ton 5th wheels but I’d rather not be at the max of tow capacity. May rethink the options and figure something else out. Thanks for the help everyone
Keep in mind that F-150's have a higher payload on average than Rams due to them having leaf springs instead of coils. Payload will be your limiting factor. RAWR might be an issue as well.

Like it was said earlier, fill your gas tank and take your truck to the scales. Take that weight and subtract it from your GVW. That's your starting payload. Then subtract all your gear, passengers, and the weight of the 5th wheel hitch. Then you'll find out what you have left for the pin weight.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I personally would choose a 5th wheel over a bumper pull too, and it definitely can be done! Just make sure to pay attention to weight and size :)

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i dont agree

well there are 6500 pound fifth wheel with pin weight of 650pounds... so depending on his truck payload and trailer... it can be done with caution on how he loads it, they can them 1/2 ton truck super lite fifth wheel, they are made for that purpose

all depends on his truck numbers
Question: I always thought 5th wheels were heavier than bumper pulls, more like 15% + for their tongue weight? So a 6,500lb would be around 975+ lbs, add in the fuel, hitch, and a person in the front seat, you're over 90% of the RAM 1500's payloads on the road.

Last edited:

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question: I always thought 5th wheels were heavier than bumper pulls, more like 15% + for their tongue weight? So a 6,500lb would be around 975+ lbs, add in the fuel, hitch, and a person in the front seat, you're over 90% of the RAM 1500's payloads on the road.
after checking again on the web site, you are right, that info was for a travel trailer not fifth wheel... dont know why because in the search i choose 5th wheel... anyway it seems the lightess one is around 1100 pound for a 7500pound 5th wheel, thats empty

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just like people. Each one is a little different. Plus, like people, it's how they are loaded.

Booch

Reaction score
If it's in the "it can be done" category, then it probably can be done, but it won't be much fun. And if you are pushing max capacity when towing (especially a travel trailer), it definitely won't be much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread