5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

đź’§ Now I have the back glass water leak...

blackbelt135

Reaction score
I bought my truck 3 months ago. 2020 Rebel with 39k miles.
Last week my starter died and I had to have it towed…
This morning I discovered a hairline crack in the rear window frame, and water leaking inside behind the driver side (it wasn’t even raining hard). UGH!
Chrysler warranty won’t cover the extended warranty back glass water leak TSB because the truck was sold to the original owner in Canada (even though it was manufactured in the US and is now registered and insured in the US…)
🤬

Attachments

• 418430570_10101296070471817_3060862408043341480_n.jpg
    418430570_10101296070471817_3060862408043341480_n.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 418431402_10101296070481797_8439747653984980283_n.jpg
    418431402_10101296070481797_8439747653984980283_n.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 108

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I discovered a hairline crack in the rear window frame, and water leaking inside behind the driver side (it wasn’t even raining hard). UGH!
Chrysler warranty won’t cover the extended warranty back glass water leak TSB because the truck was sold to the original owner in Canada (even though it was manufactured in the US and is now registered and insured in the US…)
🤬
That looks like leak caused by a crack in the corner.
1704909979949.jpeg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Even though they are built on the same line, they are built to different specs. You may have to go to a Canadian dealer. If the TSB even effects Canadian trucks.

mowjoeram

Reaction score
I'm seeing a thread on here that someone took the back seat out and created a housing that covered the rfcm and made it weather proof

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
🤬
Correct. You can't buy something in another country and expect to get service elsewhere. It doesn't matter where YOU bought it from, it was a Canadian truck.
If you think it was still under factory warranty and the dealership did not disclose the warranty is not valid in your country you can make a suit against them for willful neglect and talk to an attorney.
You can drive the truck into Canada to get service, as silly as that sounds I know.
Even though they are built on the same line, they are built to different specs. You may have to go to a Canadian dealer. If the TSB even effects Canadian trucks.
There was a customer service campaign (recall) in Canada before we even got ours in the states by around 1-2 months.

blackbelt135

Reaction score
Correct. You can't buy something in another country and expect to get service elsewhere. It doesn't matter where YOU bought it from, it was a Canadian truck.
If you think it was still under factory warranty and the dealership did not disclose the warranty is not valid in your country you can make a suit against them for willful neglect and talk to an attorney.
You can drive the truck into Canada to get service, as silly as that sounds I know.

There was a customer service campaign (recall) in Canada before we even got ours in the states by around 1-2 months.
The truck was manufactured in the US.
Then assumingly imported to a Canadian dealer and sold to a Canadian resident.
Then it was imported back into the US with 37k miles and sold to a US resident (me).
With 37k miles, I knew there was no warranty (it was past 3 years/36k).
The issue here is any current or future recalls or TSB's do not qualify in the US now?? Extended warranty's for safety concerns or any known issues should extend to the country it's been sold in, registered in, insured in, and inspected in. It makes zero sense other than a loophole for them to not have to address.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The truck was manufactured in the US.
Then assumingly imported to a Canadian dealer and sold to a Canadian resident.
Then it was imported back into the US with 37k miles and sold to a US resident (me).
With 37k miles, I knew there was no warranty (it was past 3 years/36k).
The issue here is any current or future recalls or TSB's do not qualify in the US now?? Extended warranty's for safety concerns or any known issues should extend to the country it's been sold in, registered in, insured in, and inspected in. It makes zero sense other than a loophole for them to not have to address.
That's how it works.
Items are make for certain countries, you can't bring it elsewhere and expect to get warranty service.
The warranty is only valid in the country the truck was made for.
It was not imported to a Canadian dealer, it was made for one.
If it has American paperwork when it was made to be sold then it was a US unit. You can tell right on the window sticker the ones for Canada are way different looking.

Manufacturer location also has nothing to do with this conversation or else everything made in China would have no warranty.

You can purchase your own extended warranty on the truck if you like, that has nothing to do with country or origin.
There are no recalls for your truck in America as it's not an truck intended for the American market and Canada has different laws.

You are saying that the warranty should apply to any country it is being sold to, and it does. You bought it from a thrid party used, there is no implied warranty in that sale as your documents would show. Now you know for next time to avoid expensive used purchases from another country (cellphones have problems exactly like you are saying, you get no warranty on "international" imported new phones and 0 support from the manufacturer) .

The 3rd window does NOT have a recall its a customer improvement campaign as in Ram opted in to fix free of charge, they were not forced to by the government due to safety, which is what a recall is.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the extended rear glass warranty for for all trucks, no matter who or where purchased from

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the extended rear glass warranty for for all trucks, no matter who or where purchased from
Yes it is.
But the OP's truck was intended and sold to the Canadian market, so if he wants to get it warrantied he needs to drive to Canada.

If he lived in Canada and just went down to the states but could still prove he lived in Canada the dealers in the US could submit special paperwork.
But because he lives in the states he owns a truck that was not sold or intended for use in this market, and thus can not collect on the warranty :(

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes it is.
But the OP's truck was intended and sold to the Canadian market, so if he wants to get it warrantied he needs to drive to Canada.

If he lived in Canada and just went down to the states but could still prove he lived in Canada the dealers in the US could submit special paperwork.
But because he lives in the states he owns a truck that was not sold or intended for use in this market, and thus can not collect on the warranty :(
Gotcha

blackbelt135

Reaction score
That's how it works.
Items are make for certain countries, you can't bring it elsewhere and expect to get warranty service.
The warranty is only valid in the country the truck was made for.
It was not imported to a Canadian dealer, it was made for one.
If it has American paperwork when it was made to be sold then it was a US unit. You can tell right on the window sticker the ones for Canada are way different looking.

Manufacturer location also has nothing to do with this conversation or else everything made in China would have no warranty.

You can purchase your own extended warranty on the truck if you like, that has nothing to do with country or origin.
There are no recalls for your truck in America as it's not an truck intended for the American market and Canada has different laws.

You are saying that the warranty should apply to any country it is being sold to, and it does. You bought it from a thrid party used, there is no implied warranty in that sale as your documents would show. Now you know for next time to avoid expensive used purchases from another country (cellphones have problems exactly like you are saying, you get no warranty on "international" imported new phones and 0 support from the manufacturer) .

The 3rd window does NOT have a recall its a customer improvement campaign as in Ram opted in to fix free of charge, they were not forced to by the government due to safety, which is what a recall is.
There is a TSB for the rear window in the US, and a TSB for the rear window in Canada. Same truck with the same problems. But yes, I can't get it repaired in the US since it was "built" for Canada - which is honestly ridiculous. The differences are things like headlights are programmed to stay on at all times in Canada, but not in the US. For the most part, they're the same vehicles. It's not like they made a different truck body, frame, or components. Guess what? A rear window made for the US Ram fits my Canadian Ram.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a TSB for the rear window in the US, and a TSB for the rear window in Canada. Same truck with the same problems. But yes, I can't get it repaired in the US since it was "built" for Canada - which is honestly ridiculous. The differences are things like headlights are programmed to stay on at all times in Canada, but not in the US. For the most part, they're the same vehicles. It's not like they made a different truck body, frame, or components. Guess what? A rear window made for the US Ram fits my Canadian Ram.
That's the way the system is setup and why I laugh every time I see a Canadian F150 on the streets (that have the XTR decal where the FX4 decal normally is).

It's been a few months since your original post, what did you end up doing? Paying to have it fixed? Flowable silicone?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
EXPORTED VEHICLES EXCEPT WHERE SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED BY LAW, THERE IS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE ON THIS VEHICLE IF IT IS SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN COUNTRIES OTHER THAN CANADA. This policy does not apply to vehicles that have received authorization for export from FCA Canada Inc. Retailers may not give authorization for export. You should consult an authorized retailer to determine this vehicle’s warranty coverage if you have any questions. This policy does not apply to vehicles registered to Canadian Government officials or military personnel on assignment outside of Canada (see page 10).

That's right out of the Canadian warranty book.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
EXPORTED VEHICLES EXCEPT WHERE SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED BY LAW, THERE IS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE ON THIS VEHICLE IF IT IS SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN COUNTRIES OTHER THAN CANADA. This policy does not apply to vehicles that have received authorization for export from FCA Canada Inc. Retailers may not give authorization for export. You should consult an authorized retailer to determine this vehicle’s warranty coverage if you have any questions. This policy does not apply to vehicles registered to Canadian Government officials or military personnel on assignment outside of Canada (see page 10).

That's right out of the Canadian warranty book.
People don't believe the truth.
Everyone should know by now exports are a dangerous thing to get involved with if you don't understand what you are getting.
I knew it was risky when I ordered the first quad core android phone an S3 from Australia to the US know my $640 had no warranty whatsoever.
I lucked out and the phone never broke.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread