5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Service auto tuned mass module”

Sscoville

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2020 1500 Limited. It only has about 10k miles. The only issue I’m experiencing is I occasionally get this message. It comes on with a notification sound, then goes away after about 1 second. I’ve done some googling, but haven’t found hardly anything about this particular message.

I checker the connectors and the modules on the frame and changed the fuse, but it hasn’t stopped.

It comes on 1-2 times a day.

I think I found somewhere that this message might indicate a bad ground connection. If so, how can I diagnose that?

I otherwise love the truck this far, having driven tacomas for the last 9 years.
Thank you.

Sscoville

Reaction score
So it’s “active tuned mass module” not “auto tuned”. I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for an hour, but it came back. Any suggestions on tracking this down? What is done to service these anyway?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it’s “active tuned mass module” not “auto tuned”. I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for an hour, but it came back. Any suggestions on tracking this down? What is done to service these anyway?
Hard to do any troubleshooting on these new vehicles without diagnostic tools.
I would start with OBDLink MX+, security gateway bypass cable, alfaobd app. and a subscription to alldata-diy.

"OPERATION

The AVC system consists of two electronic actuators, two electronic sensors and the AVC controller. The AVC actuators produce anti-vibrations to reduce Multi-Displacement System (MDS) vibrations above 1,300 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). MDS is the “4 cylinder mode” for the 5.7L V8 engine. The AVC system is a key enabler for expanding the MDS operating range to improve vehicle performance and fuel economy. The AVC actuators function to minimize vibrations on the vehicle’s frame at the frequency the engine is operating/running. The system works similar to Active Noise Cancelation (ANC). ANC operates on audible noise. AVC operates on vehicle frame vibrations.

The AVC system is designed to improve the Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) performance of the vehicle by reducing the vibrations received from the frame. The AVC actuator generates an equal signal in the opposite direction from the input vibrations received from the left and right correction sensors. This generated signal is sent to the left and right actuators mounted on the frame that reduce the vibrations in the frame.

AVC Module

Component Index

The AVC module is mounted under the hood to the bulkhead on the driver side near the brake booster away from heat sources. The AVC module will operate the AVC actuators when the engine is in MDS operation mode as triggered by Controller Area Network - Chassis (CAN-C) message. The AVC module receives engine RPM as an input from CAN-C and a dedicated hard wired crank signal. The AVC module will adjust its output (frequency, phase, and amplitude) based upon the inputs. A software algorithm uses engine characteristics and vibration sensed by accelerometer to generate an output for actuators to produce the anti-vibrations.

CAN-C Inputs

Commanded ignition switch status.

Engine RPM.

Vehicle Speed.

Odometer.

MDS active signal.

Vehicle configuration data for wheelbase length.

Vehicle drive configuration.

CAN-C Outputs

AVC failure display request to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Hardwire Inputs

Crank pulse signal.

Left AVC sensor signal.

Right AVC sensor signal.

Hardwire Outputs

Left AVC actuator operation.

Right AVC actuator operation.

Crank pulse signal to the ANC system.

AVC Sensor/Actuator Assembly

Component Index

The AVC sensor is attached to the AVC actuator mounting bracket and is not service separately from the actuator. The AVC actuator assemblies are mounted to the left and right sides of the vehicle frame behind the A-Pillars, under the driver and passenger door. The actuators produce anti-vibrations to reduce MDS vibrations between 1300 – 2300 RPM and are capable of an output of 90 N (20 Lbf) of force.

Hardwire Inputs

Left AVC actuator operation request.

Right AVC actuator operation request"

Santa

Reaction score
I also have been having the “Service Active Tunes Mass Module Soon” message. I realize that this is part of the sound dampening system. I have about 26,000 miles on my 2020 1500. This message comes on for about 3 seconds about twice a day. I went to the dealership and they said that they had never seen this before. I went home (I didn’t want to leave the truck since the wife’s car is in the paint shop) and tried to clear all codes with my code reader but the next day it came back up.
I guess that I will need to drop it off at the dealer Unless anyone has any ideas.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have been having the “Service Active Tunes Mass Module Soon” message. I realize that this is part of the sound dampening system. I have about 26,000 miles on my 2020 1500. This message comes on for about 3 seconds about twice a day. I went to the dealership and they said that they had never seen this before. I went home (I didn’t want to leave the truck since the wife’s car is in the paint shop) and tried to clear all codes with my code reader but the next day it came back up.
I guess that I will need to drop it off at the dealer Unless anyone has any ideas.
What DTC`s are you getting, if any?
You could crawl under and inspect the wire-harnesses and connectors for any physical damage.

Last edited:

1donaldo

Reaction score
I have the same issues and believe its the ATMM system that's not operating correctly and causing the vibration and reduction in gas mileage. My dealership has called for an engineer to come out and look into it but its already been 2 1/2 weeks of waiting. I'll look tomorrow to see if the connections are compromised and fool around with it a little. Hopefully I can save this thread. thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online