5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘20 Bighorn BTS safe question

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought used 2020 built to serve edition that came with optional safe. However, I didn’t get the safe key. Has any one converted the original lock to an electronic one? Or do I just need to get a new lock assembly from the dealer?

Thanks!

Cort

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of a factory option for a safe. Can you post a pic, and we can figure out what aftermarket brand it is? You might be able to get a replacement key (or lock set) from the manufacturer.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Here are pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3845.jpeg
    IMG_3845.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 34

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, I was wrong. That’s a Mopar safe. I’ve never heard of it being an optional item from the factory, though. I assume it was installed after purchase. Either way, the exercise will be to find a replacement key or lock set.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welp, I was wrong. That’s a Mopar safe. I’ve never heard of it being an optional item from the factory, though. I assume it was installed after purchase. Either way, the exercise will be to find a replacement key or lock set.
Turns out the new ones do come with it.
I didn't know either.

1696093121038.png

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They sure put a chintzy lock on that thing. Can probably be picked in 15 seconds.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of a factory option for a safe. Can you post a pic, and we can figure out what aftermarket brand it is? You might be able to get a replacement key (or lock set) from the manufacturer.
The Built to Serve trucks came with them from the factory. It was part of the BTS package. As close as you follow production, figured you'd have seen that.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They come factory installed with the BTS edition trucks. Mine came with one. They may be available with a certain option package or quite possibly separately

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Genuine question: why (if not already from factory) would some one want to install this anyways? whats this going to do? i mean if someone is going to steal your truck the safe does no good, also id imagine its a basic/generic lock so as @6of36 said that can be picked easily.
just curious.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Genuine question: why (if not already from factory) would some one want to install this anyways? whats this going to do? i mean if someone is going to steal your truck the safe does no good, also id imagine its a basic/generic lock so as @6of36 said that can be picked easily.
just curious.
Basic security and deterrent if you need to leave your carry weapon in your vehicle to go into some place. A smash and grab thief isn't going to have the tools or time to try and pick the lock because they wouldn't be expecting it.

There is more than one company selling aftermarket console safes, so it must be high enough demand for them to make them. Just because you don't understand the reasons doesn't mean there isn't a desire for people to have one

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Built to Serve trucks came with them from the factory. It was part of the BTS package. As close as you follow production, figured you'd have seen that.
Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't know that either. I follow daily production output (how many, what trim, etc.), but rarely get down into the specific options unless someone asks for it. But now that I know to look, here's what I find (looking just at the 2023 model year):

4,269 Built-to-Serve trucks made, of which 3,989 have the lockable console storage
AND...
1,845 Southwest Edition Laramies made, of which 1,696 have the lockable console storage.

No other trucks had the Mopar Lockable Console Storage from the factory.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't know that either. I follow daily production output (how many, what trim, etc.), but rarely get down into the specific options unless someone asks for it. But now that I know to look, here's what I find (looking just at the 2023 model year):

4,269 Built-to-Serve trucks made, of which 3,989 have the lockable console storage
AND...
1,845 Southwest Edition Laramies made, of which 1,696 have the lockable console storage.

No other trucks had the Mopar Lockable Console Storage from the factory.
If they have a bench seat option, they can't get the lockable storage.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
you sure you want the same key?
if it was me I would change the key to a different cut
just to be safe:)
You’re probably right, haha. Didn’t even think of that! As mentioned above though, the lock is pretty chintzy…I may try and retrofit an electric lock pad or something later on.

Users who are viewing this thread