5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soaking wet cabin filter

smashweights

Reaction score
Well I may have found the culprit. Allow me to walk you through just in case anyone else encounters this problem. First I had to remove the wiper cowl. I used this video to figure it out. Pretty easy other than the wipers were on pretty snug.

Under the cowl you'll find the wiper motor and a large cavity. The driver side and passenger side each have 3 drain holes. Both were completely clogged with debris. The cabin air intake is on the passenger side and has a nice upward scoop. My guess is if these drains are clogged up enough rainwater will pool in the cavity and then when the truck is in motion it splashes up into the cabin air intake and is sucked into the filter and fan.

PXL_20220717_203244059~2.jpg

The driver side was rather easy to access. I used a shop vac and a long appliance brush to clean out the drains.

PXL_20220717_203252814~2.jpg
PXL_20220717_204018323~2.jpg
PXL_20220717_204011426~2.jpg
PXL_20220717_204106871.jpg

The passenger side is a bit harder. There's a heat shield looking piece that I think is just to block water running through the cowl grate getting directly into the cabin air intake. On second glance, looking at the side view it might not actually impact the cabin air intake? I still wouldn't remove it just in case.

PXL_20220717_204740099~2.jpg
PXL_20220717_204412157~2.jpg

Basically had to lie on top of the engine and blindly work the brush until it hit the holes then check to see that each one was cleared. Needed a shop vac extension to get under there. But they both cleared out nicely.

PXL_20220717_205409875~2.jpg

Replaced everything with ease. Word to the wise: don't over torque the wipers, if you're slightly off on the alignment they'll be hell to get back off to tweak. Better yet, test the wiper movement before you tighten down the nuts. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Water now drains out around the wheel wells when I tested it with the hose. Bit of debris came out too. Biggest downside is I can't see any way to do this without taking the cowl off if it recurs...

PXL_20220717_221212449.jpg

Total time about 30 minutes. Could be a 15-20min job easily though. I could see this also causing a wet dash or floorboard if the caulking at a few spots allows water to get through if it pools high enough. Basically if you have any water ingress issues in the dash during or after a rainstorm I would check these out.

Last edited:

deepc6

Reaction score
[[mention]RSZ [/mention] mention] take a look at this thread as it might help with the wet filter issue.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
:cool: Nice write up. Thanks! Seems weird to me to have the drains on the side like that.

My truck is parked under a tree most of the week and is only used on the weekends. I keep it under a cover because of bird poop.

You may want to use something like a snow windshield cover to keep the debris out of your vents. It's easier to put on and take off than a full vehicle cover.

Last edited:

Bobby4455

Reaction score
I know this thread is a bit old but I would like to thank you as this post has been very helpful. This must be a common problem for anyone who parks their trucks under trees as my buddy at work has the same issue. I even found a video online of a guy discovering the same problem on a truck and the comments of that video are filled with people having this issue. I don't know why Ram won't acknowledge this is a problem.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only use my truck on the weekends and I'm parked under a tree, but with a car cover. Mostly to protect it from bird poop.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know this thread is a bit old but I would like to thank you as this post has been very helpful. This must be a common problem for anyone who parks their trucks under trees as my buddy at work has the same issue. I even found a video online of a guy discovering the same problem on a truck and the comments of that video are filled with people having this issue. I don't know why Ram won't acknowledge this is a problem.

It's not a problem, unless you let debris pile up. Same as any other vehicle.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Just finished mine today.
Yup, debris blocking the drains mostly on the passenger side.
There are rubber flaps on the back side of the drains. Thought about ripping those out, but didn't.
Thanks everyone.

smashweights

Reaction score
Well nearly two years but I pulled out of the driveway after a big storm overnight and heard the slosh again. Pulled the cowl and clogged up again. Got a cheap $10 battery terminal puller to help get the wipers off easier this time, definitely makes the wiper removal a breeze.

smashweights

Reaction score
Just finished mine today.
Yup, debris blocking the drains mostly on the passenger side.
There are rubber flaps on the back side of the drains. Thought about ripping those out, but didn't.
Thanks everyone.
Rubber flaps behind those? I feel like the whole thing needs to come out...

lawnguyLR

Reaction score
I'm currently experiencing same issues ,anybody have suggestions. Truck at dealership right now . 2 days no info ! Any response greatly appreciated
22,4wd RAM 6.4hemi

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm currently experiencing same issues ,anybody have suggestions. Truck at dealership right now . 2 days no info ! Any response greatly appreciated
22,4wd RAM 6.4hemi
If you have a 6.4, you must have a 2500, which is a different body. They still have a cowl drain someplace, and it is probably filled with debris, or the flap is stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread