5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rear door window in my crew cab just shattered

zlman

Reaction score
Went out this morning and did some errands, all windows intact and fine when I got home.

Go out to the garage a few hours later and I hear a faint crackling sound, look around for a bit and happen to look at the rear door window and its completely shattered, WTH!! Never in my life have I ever experienced something like this.

Is this a warranty issue or insurance? Plan to call my local dealer tomorrow and get there opinion and see if they even have a window in stock(doubtful, I would think). Next call would be to a glass shop and see what they can do.

Ugh, I can't believe I have to deal with this.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Start with the dealer as you are doing, if they aren't helpful, put it on insurance. It's comp coverage, doesn't affect our rates.

If this is the wort thing you have to deal with during Covid, you are doing great, eh?

zlman

Reaction score
Start with the dealer as you are doing, if they aren't helpful, put it on insurance. It's comp coverage, doesn't affect our rates.

If this is the wort thing you have to deal with during Covid, you are doing great, eh?
You have a great point, thanks for putting it in perspective for me.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, first I've heard of a door window doing this. Thier have been cases of rear windows and sunroofs.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really doesn't take much to break automotive glass. Just a tiny punch. But it was likely just a flaw in the glass during its manufacture. The dealer might have a problem with the window vents. It'll give them an out if they like to deny claims.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as an insurance adjuster, I agree with by passing the dealer. They'll just tell you to go through insurance. Side glass is different from windshield glass, it's tempered, so when it breaks it kind of "explodes" vs. laminated windshield which stays intact when broken. In my state MA, there is no deductible on glass, and really no questions asked. Just tell the claim rep you don't know what happened.

zlman

Reaction score
Dealer was sympathetic to my case and said we "could" submit a claim to FCA but they said they've never seen one approved. Insurance took my call and info, sent me to my choice of installer. Should show up and be installed tomorrow.

Redline

Reaction score

Went out this morning and did some errands, all windows intact and fine when I got home.

Go out to the garage a few hours later and I hear a faint crackling sound, look around for a bit and happen to look at the rear door window and its completely shattered, WTH!! Never in my life have I ever experienced something like this.

Is this a warranty issue or insurance? Plan to call my local dealer tomorrow and get there opinion and see if they even have a window in stock(doubtful, I would think). Next call would be to a glass shop and see what they can do.

Ugh, I can't believe I have to deal with this.

Redline

Reaction score
Driving early in the morning going to work @ about 7:30am and heard a loud explosion
After looking around I realized my left rear glass just shattered I pulled over and check to see if someone threw a rock but there was no signs of anything. Previously I had my rear defrost on. To get off the morning dew

Attachments

• IMG_4787_Original.jpeg
    IMG_4787_Original.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4789_Original.jpeg
    IMG_4789_Original.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4786_Original.jpeg
    IMG_4786_Original.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread