5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do the TPMSs "auto-locate" after Tire Rotation?

Ready Go

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first tire rotation this weekend and am looking to verify that the Ram Premium TPMS System will "auto-locate" the tire position to be in the correct position on the guage cluster(?).

If I understand correctly, the Ram TPMS system uses the Radio Frequency Hub and the Traction Control Module's tire rotation speed to locate where to TPMS is positioned, thereby "auto-locating" it(?). Once the vehicle is over 15mph, it'll start populating that info, but can take up to 20mins to calibrate the postion correctly.

Does this sound correct?

I've had other vehicles in the past (probably with older, less tech intensive systems) that required steps to get the TPMS/wheels located to the correct position on the guage cluster..a real PITA.

1710411840147.png

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my tires rotated last Friday. I’ve been running 42PSi front and 38 rear recently and watched the values change position on the cluster. I didn’t have to do anything as they auto calibrate.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first tire rotation this weekend and am looking to verify that the Ram Premium TPMS System will "auto-locate" the tire position to be in the correct position on the guage cluster(?).

If I understand correctly, the Ram TPMS system uses the Radio Frequency Hub and the Traction Control Module's tire rotation speed to locate where to TPMS is positioned, thereby "auto-locating" it(?). Once the vehicle is over 15mph, it'll start populating that info, but can take up to 20mins to calibrate the postion correctly.
I think RAM's TPMS is the best when it comes to tire rotations. It is my understanding, that the RAM has an antenna at each wheel position to listen to the sensor thus the strongest signal indicates the tire's new position. Even when a sensor is replaced, RAM's TPMS system will auto-detect it.

JRD

Reaction score
I just had my tires rotated last Friday. I’ve been running 42PSi front and 38 rear recently and watched the values change position on the cluster. I didn’t have to do anything as they auto calibrate.
Why do people run different PSI, Is it a ride quality thing? I see a number of people mentioning it but I’ve never heard of that before

Ready Go

Reaction score
Why do people run different PSI, Is it a ride quality thing? I see a number of people mentioning it but I’ve never heard of that before
I run 37-38psi all around, but Carli suggests 35psi Front and 30psi Rear with their Carli suspension kits and Overlander size tires combos.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They do relocate automatically, however it can take several miles. The pressures adjusting is shown right away, but showing correct front & back location can take a while. It's easier to notice on Rebels because they have a rather big differentially front and rear at 55F/45R, so you can easily tell when they relocate position on the system. If you are 35F/35R, you won't know at all.

If you have similar pressures front and rear, you probably won't notice they haven't relocated yet. Takes my truck roughly 10 miles to relocate front and rear.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

It depends on the tires and trim, at least on OEM. Many are 36 F&R, some are 43 F&R, some are 55F/45R, and that's factory tires. Others are adjusting based on aftermarket tire packages, feel, adjusting using the chalk method, all kinds of reason, but yes, ride quality is the main reason along with proper tire wear.

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
It depends on the tires and trim, at least on OEM. Many are 36 F&R, some are 43 F&R, some are 55F/45R, and that's factory tires. Others are adjusting based on aftermarket tire packages, feel, adjusting using the tape method, all kinds of reason, but yes, ride quality is the main reason along with proper tire wear.
What is the tape method? I just got a set of ko2 and need to figure out the psi still

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So in theory, if I add a TPMS module in my spare tire, when I do 5 tire rotation it should automatically do its thing right?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is my understanding, that the RAM has an antenna at each wheel position to listen to the sensor thus the strongest signal indicates the tire's new position.
There’s no antennas. The tpms system is just the sensor itself inside the tire, and the rf hub on the back wall of the cab.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s cool. How can you verify that is worked? Take some air out of a tire and see which one goes down?

n8zcc

Reaction score
There’s no antennas. The tpms system is just the sensor itself inside the tire, and the rf hub on the back wall of the cab.
If that is the case, how can the truck detect which sensor ID is located in which wheel well? A few years ago I recall looking at the schematic and seeing the antenna inputs. If you watch the video linked below, one of the wheel well antennas is shown.

Here is another video discussing Chrysler's wheel well antenna system.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If that is the case, how can the truck detect which sensor ID is located in which wheel well? A few years ago I recall looking at the schematic and seeing the antenna inputs. If you watch the video linked below, one of the wheel well antennas is shown.

Here is another video discussing Chrysler's wheel well antenna system.
The first video with the ram, he has a 2013, the last year they used a dedicated tpms receiver (still no antennas).
The second video is a comedy, and when he mentions Chrysler systems, he is showing a schematic of the door lock system, and the antennas he refers to are actually the antennas for the passive entry door handles and push button start system.
I can assure you, you’ll never find an antenna related to the tpms system on a 2014-2024 ram truck because they don’t exist. The sensor locations are picked up by wheel speed, and that’s why turning will pick the locations up quicker after new install or tire rotation.
Here’s the full schematic of the tpms system (individual sensors in the tires not shown):
IMG_0502.jpeg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So in theory, if I add a TPMS module in my spare tire, when I do 5 tire rotation it should automatically do its thing right?

Yes, the 5 tire rotation will work just as long as you add the sensor to the spare. I would double check to see if the 1500 has a TPMS in the spare, a lot of vehicles do, but I don't think our trucks have one. If it did, you could utilize that one for your aftermarket spare tire.

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
Hopefully the TPMS I bought from Custom Offsets work the same

n8zcc

Reaction score
The first video with the ram, he has a 2013, the last year they used a dedicated tpms receiver (still no antennas).
The second video is a comedy, and when he mentions Chrysler systems, he is showing a schematic of the door lock system, and the antennas he refers to are actually the antennas for the passive entry door handles and push button start system.
I can assure you, you’ll never find an antenna related to the tpms system on a 2014-2024 ram truck because they don’t exist. The sensor locations are picked up by wheel speed, and that’s why turning will pick the locations up quicker after new install or tire rotation.
Here’s the full schematic of the tpms system (individual sensors in the tires not shown):
The first video covered 2013 through 2018 RAMs, listen again. Some just refuse to understand. My 2022 has antennas in each wheel, I've seen the front ones. But that aside, answer the basic question, how does the truck know which TPMS sensor is in which wheel well if not for localized antennas?

Users who are viewing this thread