5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick or exhaust manifold? 2019 Rebel

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, dropped the truck off for service (manifolds/AC) this morning. They just called and both manifolds had cracks, which I knew but had been putting off. They are almost done with both and will move on to the AC recall. They seem competent and communicative unlike Frisco Dodge with even the service manager talking to me about the process which occurred because I called him to ask why the truck wouldn't be looked at for 2 days with me having an appointment.

He quickly corrected that and assured me that the truck would be taken in today as per the appointment

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, dropped the truck off for service (manifolds/AC) this morning. They just called and both manifolds had cracks, which I knew but had been putting off. They are almost done with both and will move on to the AC recall. They seem competent and communicative unlike Frisco Dodge with even the service manager talking to me about the process which occurred because I called him to ask why the truck wouldn't be looked at for 2 days with me having an appointment.

He quickly corrected that and assured me that the truck would be taken in today as per the appointment
Hope all goes well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Damn, you got lucky if they had both manifolds in stock. Everyone I know lately that has gone in for that were told they were in back order and had at least a 2 month wait

BowDown

Reaction score
Damn, you got lucky if they had both manifolds in stock. Everyone I know lately that has gone in for that were told they were in back order and had at least a 2 month wait

Not lucky, I spent last Wednesday calling different dealerships asking if they had the 2 part numbers (68591573AB & 68591572AB) in stock. Found 3 dealers in my area and picked on that in the past has had decent service. I scheduled the appointment last Thursday for today. This is the way I approach everything I do so I minimize drama.

Accolade#1
I have to give the shop credit as well, a lot of us, myself included, talk :poop: about Ram service and for the most part, its true. Huffines in Plano TX is the opposite though so I have to give them their deserved credit. I dropped the truck off at 7:30AM with a bit of drama (appointment issues) but that was quickly resolved. By 1pm they were finishing up with replacing both exhaust manifolds. By 3PM the service writer called me and told me that they were looking at the AC and that the driver side was blowing 69° and the passenger side blowing 60°, IE, it needed the TSB done.
They had all the parts except for the redesigned AC distribution housing.

I cant fault them for not having that as I didn't intend to address the AC because I thought mine was good so I didn't check with the parts dept first.

Accolade #2
Everyone complains about the dealer not having/offering a loan car when in for service. They not only gave me a loaner without hesitation but gave me a 2022 Lonestar, not some beater. This loaner however is what made me realize that my AC wasn't good. This loaners AC is cold, ice mother phookin cold. The service writer called me about 15 min after dropping it off and told me what was going to happen and the time frame, truck will be done today, yada yada. I told him about the AC in this truck vs my truck, he laughed and said a customer made the same comment about his truck and the loaner Monday and he said he'd have the AC checked.

Accolade #3
They already have the dash apart and most pf the AC TSB parts in stock and will have the truck back to me as early as tomorrow or Thursday AM. They didn't hassle me "we cant duplicate the issue" like they did others in the AC TSB thread, they actually told me that its a problem and they are going to fix it.

This is the way it should be when you go in for service. I also have a Z06 and a Jaguar XF, neither service dept's are any good and the Jaguar service dept was absolutely horrible. Huffines Ram has been like Lexus service to me, provided they haven't broken or scratched anything, I cannot speak 1 bad word about them

BowDown

Reaction score
Hope all goes well.

Me too. The exhaust portion is complete and I hope my truck now is nearly as quiet as this V6 Lonestar they have me in.
Both manifolds failed the backpressure and the soapy water test. I assume they take them off then pressurize them to test; seems labor intensive to me for a $75-100 part

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too. The exhaust portion is complete and I hope my truck now is nearly as quiet as this V6 Lonestar they have me in.
Both manifolds failed the backpressure and the soapy water test. I assume they take them off then pressurize them to test; seems labor intensive to me for a $75-100 part
They listen for a noise and remove heat shields to inspect. They claim those tests for extra diag for warranty pay.

I'm glad that dealership was decent. I honestly believe it depends on the dealership ownership on what kind of service departments they have. Some are actually customer service driven.

BowDown

Reaction score
Just picked the truck up, they replaced both manifolds and did the air conditioner TSB. Air is definitely colder but wow how much quieter this truck is now.
Standing outside with it running, cold start up, dead quiet. Anybody that thinks they have a lifter tick or hemi tick, might want to get your manifolds checked.
Even after it's warmed up it's still quieter than it was before after warm up, big improvement

Last edited:

rkjunior

Reaction score
Update for anyone following -- both exhaust manifolds being replaced under the powertrain warranty.
Update, after roughly 20k miles. Pretty sure one or both of these are cracked again. Car is over the PT warranty at 76k -- what's the chances of them replacing these again? If not, is there a good aftermarket replacement?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update, after roughly 20k miles. Pretty sure one or both of these are cracked again. Car is over the PT warranty at 76k -- what's the chances of them replacing these again? If not, is there a good aftermarket replacement?
Some people go with shorty headers, which can also have cracked welds over time.

There is one post in which someone received some exhaust manifolds with a newer part number, and they seem to have a little different shape, possibly to “beef up” the trouble spots.

I don’t remember where I was this I’ll have to dig around.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

They might still cover it. My dealer service rep explained to me that anything replaced/addressed under the original factor warranty usually carries through. Two examples:

- I brought my truck to them for multiple leaks when it was brand new. They checked the rear glass, 3rd stop light, drains, etc. Low and behold, around 45k my rear window frame cracked. Mopar covered it 100% due to me bringing it to them under warranty and presenting the issue.

- I had my passenger side manifold covered 100% at 65k and they didn't charge me the deductible on my MaxCare plan because I also brought that to them under the factory warranty. I told them the truck had a tick. They couldn't find anything, but noted it.

They have not been able to get the manifolds right on these trucks but 20k is a very short-time for them to re-fail. Seems like most make it like 40-60k before they break/crack again.

Last edited:

Morenar

Reaction score
Just dropped off mine this afternoon for a pretty loud tick on the passenger side and not as loud but definitely there on the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread